• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1, Should be a good gauge on REAL market value:

126 posts in this topic

just for comparisons sake, here's a CGC 1.0 Slight Amateur resto slightly brittle copy that ended just last month at over $15K. although only a 1.0 and not a 3.5 like the Sparkle City copy, does give a little gauge of what to expect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-1-CGC-1-0-DC-1940-Original-1st-JOKER-CATWOMAN-SA-RESTO-id-15675-/351629354981?hash=item51debe27e5%3Ag%3AZ6wAAOSwLN5WlxSH&nma=true&si=UuyHtePCHhPSQqT60v5RuROGQFA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It would be nice to know who did the restoration work? Just checked the census and the book was graded in 2003. Is it possible it's one of those frankenbooks? I know Sparkle City monitors the boards. Do they have more info on it?

I would say no way its a franken book. The franken books get way in the 9.0s not 3.5 thats just my Op.

Sparkle City has a CGC 3.5 Batman 1 on Ebay With what I think would be best to call standard resto.( color touch, trim ect). As they seem to do with most of there listings its a straight auction style listing with no bin or make an offer or reserve. So as long as there is no bogus bidding it should be a good gauge to see where this book is really at and where standard resto is at on GA Mega Keys. There was a time not to long ago this book would not have been a big deal in this condition so it should be fun to watch imo.

Any prediction? I am thinking 12k-18K

Batman-1-CGC-3-5-MEGA-KEY-1940-1st-Joker-1st-Catwoman-Origin-DC-Golden-Age

Item # eBay item number:201527902529

Closed @$22.8k+

Bleached pages = interior lightened on the label?

My guess would be: possibly.

Deacidification can also lighten pages, but would actually extend the life of the paper. I am not sure if CGC would be able to determine the differences between bleached and DA and label accordingly, other than the bleached book possibly smelling like a load of laundry that is.

Both being restored, I wouldn't touch the bleached book but a properly deacidified book would not bother me.

Seem to me like the overall estimate on this give or take a few grand either way was dead on, Gator & several others nailed it with the 20k estimate imo there are several reasons. At this point everyone seems to want a copy & why not? Its one of the most iconic covers in our hobby including the wicked cool pin up. Any decent non resto copy is now out of the range for most collectors, myself included. It features the 1st appearance of arguably the best comic villain of all time & finally a balls to the wall auction by Sparkle City as they just let it ride. Batman 1 is like only a few other keys in the hobby & if it was a muscle car it would be a 1969 Camaro Zl1 with a killer 427 sitting on the line ready to rock. Unless our hobby implodes this book is always going to be in high demand & this was not a great looking book trimmed not trimmed whatever it was a 3.5 resto and it topped 22k and 5 yrs from now 22k for a resto 3.5 is going to look like a pretty good deal.The last apples to apples sale was Feb 2014 reto 3.5 & that sold for 12,300, that's just 2 years ago. If you want this book I would suggest not waiting for the perfect copy or hoping to get a bit of a deal. I always say a real deal on super key is paying what its worth, just my 2 cents.