• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1, Should be a good gauge on REAL market value:

126 posts in this topic

Is having 1 edge trimmed just as detrimental as having all 3 trimmed?

for most bidders, yes.

But all three sides is a kiss of death

Unless it's a detective 27 or action 1 it seems.

Add Batman/Superman 1to that in 2 years.

Seem to me like the overall estimate on this give or take a few grand either way was dead on, Gator & several others nailed it with the 20k estimate imo there are several reasons. At this point everyone seems to want a copy & why not? Its one of the most iconic covers in our hobby including the wicked cool pin up. Any decent non resto copy is now out of the range for most collectors, myself included. It features the 1st appearance of arguably the best comic villain of all time & finally a balls to the wall auction by Sparkle City as they just let it ride. Batman 1 is like only a few other keys in the hobby & if it was a muscle car it would be a 1969 Camaro Zl1 with a killer 427 sitting on the line ready to rock. Unless our hobby implodes this book is always going to be in high demand & this was not a great looking book trimmed not trimmed whatever it was a 3.5 resto and it topped 22k and 5 yrs from now 22k for a resto 3.5 is going to look like a pretty good deal.The last apples to apples sale was Feb 2014 reto 3.5 & that sold for 12,300, that's just 2 years ago. If you want this book I would suggest not waiting for the perfect copy or hoping to get a bit of a deal. I always say a real deal on super key is paying what its worth, just my 2 cents.

That's very good advice Frank

Is having 1 edge trimmed just as detrimental as having all 3 trimmed?

for most bidders, yes.

But all three sides is a kiss of death

Unless it's a detective 27 or action 1 it seems.

Add Batman/Superman 1to that in 2 years.

note the "most bidders" qualifier. There are always those with more money than sense

Bill we went from No Resto in the late 70s to all Resto in the 80s to last few years Resto Bad Bad Bad. :sumo:

I now see that most cant spend the $$$$$$ for unrestored so now its just get me a copy even a trim page. doh!

Three side trim is ok if you never had a copy of a key book like Batman 1.

I think i have had over 10 copys of Bat 1 in my years so no big deal to me.

I would be ok with slight trim ( I know were to send and fix lol )

Not trying to change the post, but I asked on the other post about what you guys think a complete NG Tec 27 would do today?

I take NG means no grade coverless complete ?.

Not necessarily complete. NG means "No Grade."

Than i say 33k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-27-Vol-1-CBCS-0-1-1st-Appearance-of-Batman-Original-1939-/201493532803?hash=item2ee9f35083:g:260AAOSwSHZWgvwv#ht_419wt_1161 :o

Scam artist business must be going well.

IMO The days of resto being Bad,Bad, Bad are coming to an end fast, fast, fast. Iv been collecting & selling comics for almost 40 yrs and can remember when the only people on the planet who knew what/who a Jack Kirby was were my fellow collectors. Make no mistake guys our little hobby is long past the days of this being "our thing" & with every new movie, theme part or toy a new group of world wide collectors arrive. Talk to anyone who has been doing this a long time, not in my/there wildest dreams did any of us see this getting this big.There will never be enough of the super keys, heck AF 15 isn't even close to being scarce and it still just keep moving along. Again imo the last decade and the mego prices on the keys have left most mainstream collector no choice but start to seek out resto, lower grade & even coverless examples. Someone posted they have had several Batman 1s over the years which makes a lot of sense as it was not a hard book to find until very recently,the reason for that and Cap 1 ect is they are now being put away and not coming back up nearly as much as they used to just a decade ago because the new owners know if they let it go there is a good chance in a few years they won't be able to get it back & with that comes one of the oldest laws of nature supply vs demand. The days of key resto books bringing real $$$$$ are here and have been for awhile.

IMO The days of resto being Bad,Bad, Bad are coming to an end fast, fast, fast. Iv been collecting & selling comics for almost 40 yrs and can remember when the only people on the planet who knew what/who a Jack Kirby was were my fellow collectors. Make no mistake guys our little hobby is long past the days of this being "our thing" & with every new movie, theme part or toy a new group of world wide collectors arrive. Talk to anyone who has been doing this a long time, not in my/there wildest dreams did any of us see this getting this big.There will never be enough of the super keys, heck AF 15 isn't even close to being scarce and it still just keep moving along. Again imo the last decade and the mego prices on the keys have left most mainstream collector no choice but start to seek out resto, lower grade & even coverless examples. Someone posted they have had several Batman 1s over the years which makes a lot of sense as it was not a hard book to find until very recently,the reason for that and Cap 1 ect is they are now being put away and not coming back up nearly as much as they used to just a decade ago because the new owners know if they let it go there is a good chance in a few years they won't be able to get it back & with that comes one of the oldest laws of nature supply vs demand. The days of key resto books bringing real $$$$$ are here and have been for awhile.

The days you could not give away a Bat 1 is over. :o Say its not true. :o

Fantasy 15 I had at least 100 copys over the years. I got the new overstreet it was worth 300-600-900 I got over 9 copys in the Bay are that day they still had Fantasy 15 at 750 top guide. lol I cant afford a beater now lol Wait i wont pay the price now. :frustrated:

Bleached pages = interior lightened on the label?

Yes, chemical process to reduce signs of age, oxidation, foxing, stains etc. the fear is it ends up accelerating the ultimate deterioration of the paper.

My understanding is that bleaching is a standard way to make brittle pages supple again and it's not all bad. It depends on the actual chemicals used.

Seem to me like the overall estimate on this give or take a few grand either way was dead on, Gator & several others nailed it with the 20k estimate imo there are several reasons. At this point everyone seems to want a copy & why not? Its one of the most iconic covers in our hobby including the wicked cool pin up. Any decent non resto copy is now out of the range for most collectors, myself included. It features the 1st appearance of arguably the best comic villain of all time & finally a balls to the wall auction by Sparkle City as they just let it ride. Batman 1 is like only a few other keys in the hobby & if it was a muscle car it would be a 1969 Camaro Zl1 with a killer 427 sitting on the line ready to rock. Unless our hobby implodes this book is always going to be in high demand & this was not a great looking book trimmed not trimmed whatever it was a 3.5 resto and it topped 22k and 5 yrs from now 22k for a resto 3.5 is going to look like a pretty good deal.The last apples to apples sale was Feb 2014 reto 3.5 & that sold for 12,300, that's just 2 years ago. If you want this book I would suggest not waiting for the perfect copy or hoping to get a bit of a deal. I always say a real deal on super key is paying what its worth, just my 2 cents.

Can be said for most mega key books not just Bat 1. If you have the money, buy as early as possible.

Yes, chemical process to reduce signs of age, oxidation, foxing, stains etc. the fear is it ends up accelerating the ultimate deterioration of the paper.

My understanding is that bleaching is a standard way to make brittle pages supple again and it's not all bad. It depends on the actual chemicals used.

Um...no. You can't bleach brittle to supple. All bleach does is whiten the cellulose strands. Doesn't improve flexibiliy at all

Deacidification can re- or slow paper deterioration in many cases.

Um...no. You can't bleach brittle to supple. All bleach does is whiten the cellulose strands. Doesn't improve flexibiliy at all

That's not my understanding based on speaking to a few people about it. (shrug)

That's not my understanding based on speaking to a few people about it. (shrug)

Nope. In simplest explanation , All bleaching does is lighten the fibers (generally by removing the lignin,,) ...doesn't strengthen or remove brittleness

I've only heard it from other people. I could be wrong. I've heard it from MCP and others. Kenny disagreed.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6087717

I've only heard it from other people. I could be wrong. I've heard it from MCP and others. Kenny disagreed.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6087717

Kenny is correct (as well at Matt and Susan and Tracey and bill Saril etc). You cannot bleach out brittleness....that's not the chemistry