• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1, Should be a good gauge on REAL market value:

126 posts in this topic

I bought my copy in early 80s and it was unrestored mid grade. I had the spine done and the cover plus insides cleaned. I thought it was a vf or better with Mod resto.

when I wanted to sell i drove to pgx for same day grade so i could list next day and they gave it 8.5 Ex. I ask why the Ex. I was told the spine had pieces added and a tear seal and bottom edge trim plus cleaned makes it Ex. I dont agree with the trim but it could have been done. I do know if i just sold Raw as vf restored for big $ i never would have thought or saw trim and it could have killed the sale.

Ya the IGB really :censored: things up with CBCS high grade Ex books. I am not saying CBCS is bad but really to get that high of grades fof Ex books is to much. I would agree 8.5 to 9.0 but Ex should not get higher grade than 9.0 just my O.

Ya the IGB really :censored: things up with CBCS high grade Ex books. I am not saying CBCS is bad but really to get that high of grades fof Ex books is to much. I would agree 8.5 to 9.0 but Ex should not get higher grade than 9.0 just my O.

+1 on everything said

If they wanna F up some SA books yeah whatever but they F'ed up a perfectly good Tec 33 6.0 MP. That's one less copy off the market. :pullhair: When we deal with limited supply of GA books, it's a big deal.

I bought my copy in early 80s and it was unrestored mid grade. I had the spine done and the cover plus insides cleaned. I thought it was a vf or better with Mod resto.

when I wanted to sell i drove to pgx for same day grade so i could list next day and they gave it 8.5 Ex. I ask why the Ex. I was told the spine had pieces added and a tear seal and bottom edge trim plus cleaned makes it Ex. I dont agree with the trim but it could have been done. I do know if i just sold Raw as vf restored for big $ i never would have thought or saw trim and it could have killed the sale.

nothing personal, but you believe pgx to be proficient at resto detection?

No but i wanted to buy a house fast and they are 500 miles away so i did what i did. I am scared to send to CGC now with the IGB stigma.

No but i wanted to buy a house fast and they are 500 miles away so i did what i did. I am scared to send to CGC now with the IGB stigma.

I would think just the opposite...with cgc not grading IGB books, they might be the only restored grade folks can "count" on... strange indeed, dealing with pgx...that has to hurt resale value far more than fedexing to cgc I would think

I would think just the opposite...with cgc not grading IGB books, they might be the only restored grade folks can "count" on... strange indeed, dealing with pgx...that has to hurt resale value far more than fedexing to cgc I would think

Yup you are right. The only reason i had the books graded was so someone other than me was there for a grade and to be fair to the buyer. If i new you at the time i would have got your grade input and put G.A.tor approved and saved money and they would sell faster.

I really think Gator is dead on, CGC resto books would really be the only way I would want to go. Look PGX is what it is and we kinda just got used to it, but the new company with these new super recreation books being graded and sold is not a good thing for any of us and imo a bad move on there part as a new company trying to establish itself in this hobby.

I really think Gator is dead on, CGC resto books would really be the only way I would want to go. Look PGX is what it is and we kinda just got used to it, but the new company with these new super recreation books being graded and sold is not a good thing for any of us and imo a bad move on there part as a new company trying to establish itself in this hobby.

+1000

Slightly off topic here but what's with the "estate find" in the title of all their auctions? What estate? Why has no one heard about this "estate" find. I know, it's a marketing ploy like "original owner" collection. Does anybody really believe this? I can't imagine it would make any difference of where it came from. Anybody who uses this ploy without a little back up seems a little bit of BS to me.

Anyone have a final hammer price guess?

Maybe I'm just put off by the amateur resto, but I'll say 14.5K.

restored and trimmed on three sides copy sold for $15.3K a week or so ago on Heritage

Was that the CBCS 5.0? I actually think that one looked better than this one. If so, maybe $15k is the ceiling on the eBay copy. Sparkle City can land some big prices for books, though, so you never know.