• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Auction

587 posts in this topic

65K?

the asm 151 cover will get close to...or go over 100k i feel.

Best spidey cover image in quite a while....... plus this was buried until Heritage got a hold of it..so its quite fresh to the market.

I do however think this cover was cleaned (because its SO WHITE) and normally..all of those classic Romita razor cut action lines on a cover would have some soiling in them........ but i'm not sure a cleaning should affect the value.

".....the Black Panther. Many have declared him one of the medium's greatest characters of all time..."

Really? This is news to me.

hm

Regardless what's most interesting is that it appears that the Black Panther image on this cover is the mirror image of the Black Panther on the published cover. Therefore its very likely that the Black Panther on the published cover is a stat. If that's the case, I think it makes the unpublished cover even more significant.

".....the Black Panther. Many (people who have a stake in how much this cover sells for) have declared him one of the medium's greatest characters of all time..."

Really? This is news to me.

hm

Fixed!!

Oh, and look: A Romita (or Kane/Romita) ASM cover just popped up:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/gil-kane-and-john-romita-sr-amazing-spider-man-151-cover-original-art-marvel-1975-/p/7137-16002.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-BrowseSearchResults-120115&lotPosition=0

I'm a nitwit for not thinking of the Ditko ASM 33 homage before.

Don't be so hard on yourself, your a tremendous slouch! :kidaround:

Regardless what's most interesting is that it appears that the Black Panther image on this cover is the mirror image of the Black Panther on the published cover. Therefore its very likely that the Black Panther on the published cover is a stat. If that's the case, I think it makes the unpublished cover even more significant.

Seems to me like its the same pose but not the same drawing. On the published there is a mask, the cape is different, etc. Unless he whited out part of the stat and drew over that, I guess.

Either way its not a direct enough reuse for it to matter so much IMO

Seems to me like its the same pose but not the same drawing. On the published there is a mask, the cape is different, etc. Unless he whited out part of the stat and drew over that, I guess.

If you compare the two, it appears fairly clear that it is the same drawing, they just filled in the rest of his mask. Production made a mirror stat and reduced the size and filled in his mask. I highly doubt Kirby redrew the exact same figure only to redo the cape. If you've seen a lot of original Marvel covers and splashes, especially from that era, this practice of using stats from prior drawings and altering minor aspects (like a cape) was fairly common.

Also it makes sense logistically from the prospective of a production schedule. Kirby was working on numerous books and he already drew the cover to #52 and now he had to do it again, so practically it would make sense that he would have only drawn what was necessary. Also, I understand at the time that Kirby never drew the same drawing twice.

If you compare the two, it appears fairly clear that it is the same drawing, they just filled in the rest of his mask. Production made a mirror stat and reduced the size and filled in his mask. I highly doubt Kirby redrew the exact same figure only to redo the cape. If you've seen a lot of original Marvel covers and splashes, especially from that era, this practice of using stats from prior drawings and altering minor aspects (like a cape) was fairly common.

Also it makes sense logistically from the prospective of a production schedule. Kirby was working on numerous books and he already drew the cover to #52 and now he had to do it again, so practically it would make sense that he would have only drawn what was necessary. Also, I understand at the time that Kirby never drew the same drawing twice.

Yeah fair points.

Still, it goes from

original drawing used for part of cover of ff52, to

original drawing used for part of cover but reversed (flipped), to

original drawing used for part of cover but reversed (flipped) and then most of the head and torso altered

We're getting further and further away no?

An incredible piece regardless, but the part-published aspect more of a bonus than anything, IMO.

It will be a very interesting auction result. Lee/Kirby Prime FF, 1st appearance of significant character................... but....... unpublished.

that's one big butt.