• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Auction

587 posts in this topic

Isn't the whole "comic OA thing" aesthetic sorta effed when we'll (all of us, including me) pull a panel page out of sequential context and judge it more (much, much more) desirable on visual impact far over storytelling, especially when it's just one page out of twenty-two on the table, and not the pages before and after (presumably the buildup and denouement storytelling to the HOT ACTION page in the middle that's big $$$)?

Yep, and that's exactly why you don't want the hero's back turned or face covered up, because, when it's framed on your wall, outside of the context of the cover and 21 other pages in the book, you don't want the first words out of your mouth when showing the piece to someone visiting your house to be, "Well, I know it's hard to tell because you can't really see his face, but..." Identification/recognition precedes any analysis of how powerful a fight scene is or how good an inking job is. 2c

Well, for the JIM piece in question, if a viewer can't tell that's Thor in the first panel then showing him face front won't help, because that means the viewer has no idea who Thor is.

I've always liked this cover with Thor on it- I think its Thor; hard to tell ?

:yeahok:

ASM #121 is a cover that's become iconic in its own right and requires no explanation. That said, remember all those "ugh, Spidey butt-shot" comments people were making when this one came up for sale?

I do.

I've always liked this cover with Thor on it- I think its Thor; hard to tell ?

:yeahok:

ASM #121 is a cover that's become iconic in its own right and requires no explanation. That said, remember all those "ugh, Spidey butt-shot" comments people were making when this one came up for sale?

I do.

Of course, just people trying to get other people not to buy it...

I just think if you need to explain that Thor page to someone; you would need to explain this Thor cover too.

And Butt shots are better than full defecation - e.g. Constipated Dark Knight and the Cap America we talked about :)

And Butt shots are better than full defecation - e.g. Constipated Dark Knight and the Cap America we talked about :)

But how can I tell if Thor is constipated if I can't see the look on his face? How can I tell if it's even Thor and not his Asgardian lookalike gym buddy Broheim (pictured below) instead? ???

162384.jpg.a3fe6ea4d7de2586e600f1002eac9ac2.jpg

When I first saw the Kirby Thor page listed, I figured it would go somewhere north of 25k. A decent example goes for around 10, and I figured this one was good enough to merit the premium.

Then I saw it in person at the NY viewing and immediately changed my mind. That top panel hit me like a hammer to the chest. The energy and action displayed is just incredible! Most of the JIM splashes would pale beside it, and I felt that it should go somewhere in the 50s.

Now, do I think 72k was pricey for that piece? Of course I do. I can't imagine the new owner flipping it for a profit anytime soon. But it's an A+ example, and those types of things have historically done very well in the long run. My heartiest congratulations to the lucky/wealthy/insane winner. You have a piece I adore.

I really wished i had not read this thread. I remember 9 or 10 years ago Ted Vanliew had a Kirby Thor v Hercules battle page for 3K on his website and i dithered as to wether to buy it or not and by the time i decided i would the piece had gone. Just when i thought the anguish had gone this page comes up with an incredible sold for price. Im just going to try and convince myself that the page in question hasnt risen in price rantrant

But how can I tell if Thor is constipated if I can't see the look on his face? How can I tell if it's even Thor and not his Asgardian lookalike gym buddy Broheim (pictured below) instead? ???

Thor 121 has the "Strain Lines" coming out of this head...thats how you know (thumbs u

With all the School and Crime Fighting you know Red/Blue Thor is filled with bagels and knishes , boy has not had a vegetable in 'Thor'ever

its Science..

Brofessor Joe

Was that TMNT page really worth ~$5k? I didn't think those pages went for that much.

Kevin has sold some on his site for that, so yeah, probably is worth that or close to it

Broheim is jacked!

Was that TMNT page really worth ~$5k? I didn't think those pages went for that much.

Kevin has sold some on his site for that, so yeah, probably is worth that or close to it

Agreed. All 4 turtles in it + Fugitoid + early turtles art, + Eastman and Laird only did about the first 10 or so issues together (Issue 8 was not penciled by them) so even with all the hundreds of total issues out there, the two principles behind it only did about 15 issues or so together.

As prices escalate for vintage art, I think it's natural to look at any "flaw" in the art and say I rather spend my money elsewhere.

I think most collectors would love to have the Kirby Thor JIM page in their collection but would not spend that type of money even if their budget allowed it. It's a great page. Congratulations to both buyer and seller.

I also agree that Colletta may not have been the best artistic inker but in his defense, he met all deadlines for the commercial art. In certain instances, he also softened the look of females drawn by Kirby. When nostalgia kicks in, collectors will still shell out good money for a Colletta inked Kirby Thor page.

(For full disclosure, I own a Kirby/Colletta JIM Thor vs. Hercules page in my permanent collection).

Cheers!

N.

Cheers!

N.

As prices escalate for vintage art, I think it's natural to look at any "flaw" in the art and say I rather spend my money elsewhere.

I think most collectors would love to have the Kirby Thor JIM page in their collection but would not spend that type of money even if their budget allowed it. It's a great page. Congratulations to both buyer and seller.

I also agree that Colletta may not have been the best artistic inker but in his defense, he met all deadlines for the commercial art. In certain instances, he also softened the look of females drawn by Kirby. When nostalgia kicks in, collectors will still shell out good money for a Colletta inked Kirby Thor page.

(For full disclosure, I own a Kirby/Colletta JIM Thor vs. Hercules page in my permanent collection).

Cheers!

N.

Cheers!

N.

Interesting hm what issue and what page?

Agreed. All 4 turtles in it + Fugitoid + early turtles art, + Eastman and Laird only did about the first 10 or so issues together (Issue 8 was not penciled by them) so even with all the hundreds of total issues out there, the two principles behind it only did about 15 issues or so together.

Cool, thanks for the info. Now I know how much money to save up.

I will say this about a lot of these Silver Age artists and all this talk of "Thor's face is covered up or turned away" You guys have to remember, The storytelling comes first, not the "money shot". Artist have to convey what the body language might be if the characters were fighting in real life. No one thought back in the 1960's "Hey, I should show more of Thor's face so I'll make more in 50 years when people are paying big money for these pages I'm drawing" They were just trying to tell a story through pictures so they can pay their rent and nothing more.

(thumbs u

I will say this about a lot of these Silver Age artists and all this talk of "Thor's face is covered up or turned away" You guys have to remember, The storytelling comes first, not the "money shot". Artist have to convey what the body language might be if the characters were fighting in real life. No one thought back in the 1960's "Hey, I should show more of Thor's face so I'll make more in 50 years when people are paying big money for these pages I'm drawing" They were just trying to tell a story through pictures so they can pay their rent and nothing more.

(thumbs u

+1

Isn't the whole "comic OA thing" aesthetic sorta effed when we'll (all of us, including me) pull a panel page out of sequential context and judge it more (much, much more) desirable on visual impact far over storytelling, especially when it's just one page out of twenty-two on the table, and not the pages before and after (presumably the buildup and denouement storytelling to the HOT ACTION page in the middle that's big $$$)?

I swear - sometimes I just don't know what we're collecting here. (Or rather 'why'.) At least when it's a sexy girl or two in nearly-nude costumes being menaced by Arnim Zola...that makes sense :insane:

Yes. All the discussion here sounds like the beginning of "Dead Poet's Society" when the boys are reading from some stodgy old text book about a quantitative method of judging the greatness of literature (until Robin Williams throws the books away).

It was horrible there, and it's just as horrible here.

Stone, really knocked the Thor stuff out of the park.

Yuk, always hated Stone's inking.

Not everyone can appreciate chic stone. I forgive you.