• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Auction

587 posts in this topic

Was that TMNT page really worth ~$5k? I didn't think those pages went for that much.

Kevin has sold some on his site for that, so yeah, probably is worth that or close to it

Agreed. All 4 turtles in it + Fugitoid + early turtles art, + Eastman and Laird only did about the first 10 or so issues together (Issue 8 was not penciled by them) so even with all the hundreds of total issues out there, the two principles behind it only did about 15 issues or so together.

Yup, it was a strong page so not really shocked by that number. There have been numerous sales from issues 3-5, Raphael that have sold in the 4k-5k range.

Chic Stone i feel was the 4th best inker on kirby after:

1) Joe Sinnott

2) Syd Shores

3) Frank Giacoia!

I feel chic stone (with Mike Royer also) inked most faithfully to Jack Kirby's pencils.

(Joe Simon also inked Jacks pencils faithfully in the golden age!) my #5 Jack inker!

Mike

Chic Stone was hands down my favorite inker of Kirby. It was clean, it was purposeful, it was a man doing his job to keep the pencilers intent intact. When you look at his large art pages, it feels like the silver age. It feels like Kirby. No feathering inks like colleta (when he didnt get tired and erase the details). No block inking and blobing like other inkers. It was just pure.

Chic Stone inks :cloud9:

These, and various discussions like this in the past, about Kirby inkers alway interest me... But as someone who didn't read alot of these books it's pretty hard for me to visualize. I'd love to see some side by sides, and I'm sure this isnt the thread for it, but maybe theres a site or thread someone can point me in the direction of? I know its a learned craft observing the little intricacies they surely must all offer, and I could just pop around CAF, but if there is some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons Guide to get me started...

Pulling out the books is the easiest way. Or just scanning the HA archives. Use one title to reduce confusion. I've used fantastic four:

Here's stone on kirby. A little "simple" or naive looking but also clean / nice. Relatively little contrast in the line weight. This is the look around ff#30. Feels a little bit like the art from a children's book (errr... wait...).

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-chic-stone-fantastic-four-annual-2-doctor-doom-splash-page-original-art-marvel-1964-/a/7063-92183.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here's ayers on kirby. This is the look from the earliest FF issues. Sort of a rough and ready look. I think this combo is great personally. Much more line weight variation than with Stone. I think he captures the liveliness of kirby's characters the best.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and--ayers-fantastic-four-17-page-1-original-art-marvel-1963-/a/815-3386.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here's sinnott on kirby. This is the look from FF say 40-80 or 90 (I'm sure I'm getting that wrong, but approximately from the middle of the run to the near the end of the run). Very "slick" look. Perfectly placed lines. He may have "prettied up" kirby a little.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-fantastic-four-55-silver-surfer-vs-thing-page-14-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7084-92204.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here's giacoia on kirby (FFs in the 90s). Really well spotted blacks and you get the feeling that its very true to kirby's pencils.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-frank-giacoia-fantastic-four-93-thing-vs-torgo-page-9-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7084-92211.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jack-kirby-and-chic-stone-journey-into-mystery-106-page-10-original-art-marvel-1964-/a/7137-92193.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515

I really liked this Kirby/stone page in the last auction, really great overall page flow and the variation of tick and thin lines was just great to me....yes I did to after it and yes I lost :(

These, and various discussions like this in the past, about Kirby inkers alway interest me... But as someone who didn't read alot of these books it's pretty hard for me to visualize. I'd love to see some side by sides, and I'm sure this isnt the thread for it, but maybe theres a site or thread someone can point me in the direction of? I know its a learned craft observing the little intricacies they surely must all offer, and I could just pop around CAF, but if there is some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons Guide to get me started...

Pulling out the books is the easiest way. Or just scanning the HA archives. Use one title to reduce confusion. I've used fantastic four:

Here's stone on kirby. A little "simple" or naive looking but also clean / nice. Relatively little contrast in the line weight. This is the look around ff#30. Feels a little bit like the art from a children's book (errr... wait...).

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-chic-stone-fantastic-four-annual-2-doctor-doom-splash-page-original-art-marvel-1964-/a/7063-92183.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here's ayers on kirby. This is the look from the earliest FF issues. Sort of a rough and ready look. I think this combo is great personally. Much more line weight variation than with Stone. I think he captures the liveliness of kirby's characters the best.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and--ayers-fantastic-four-17-page-1-original-art-marvel-1963-/a/815-3386.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here's sinnott on kirby. This is the look from FF say 40-80 or 90 (I'm sure I'm getting that wrong, but approximately from the middle of the run to the near the end of the run). Very "slick" look. Perfectly placed lines. He may have "prettied up" kirby a little.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-joe-sinnott-fantastic-four-55-silver-surfer-vs-thing-page-14-original-art-marvel-1966-/a/7084-92204.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Here's giacoia on kirby (FFs in the 90s). Really well spotted blacks and you get the feeling that its very true to kirby's pencils.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jack-kirby-and-frank-giacoia-fantastic-four-93-thing-vs-torgo-page-9-original-art-marvel-1969-/a/7084-92211.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

You could also join a Kirby group on Facebook (or several). The inker discussion goes on all the time, with lots of side by side comparisons. Bronty, you'd have no doubt about the "prettying-up" Sinnott did once you saw the pencils-to-inks comparisons on the faces (though I personally think Kirby's people were better looking in the pencils, so maybe we should call it "conventionalizing"). Sinnott became more faithful to the pencils as the run went on.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jack-kirby-and-chic-stone-journey-into-mystery-106-page-10-original-art-marvel-1964-/a/7137-92193.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515

I really liked this Kirby/stone page in the last auction, really great overall page flow and the variation of tick and thin lines was just great to me....yes I did to after it and yes I lost :(

kirby/stone thor was better than kirby/stone ff, for sure.

OMFG, I love them all :luhv:

I want to know why the money was mailed a long time ago yet hasn't arrived (shrug)

:popcorn:

Why would anyone ever answer directly when you can.....

HbxYMO3.gif

instead?

It's amazing the things that are allowed to pass on the original art forum, it's like a parallel universe. People with the same repeated patterns of questionable behaviour in comics would be run off the boards.

It requires people knowing the details and being assured they are impartially presented. I have seen some back and forth but have no clear view of everything that has transpired.

Well said; the refund taking a long time to arrive is an interesting point to inquire about for that reason. Seems like that one would be black and white

I love the discussion of Kirby inkers, and thinking of it by work on a single title is a very interesting way to look at it. Another game I play when I'm thinking way too much about original art is "who is Kirby's best inker on each title/character?" Some are easy calls, others very debatable:

FF: Sinnot -- duh.

Thor: a case could easily be made for Everett but for me it's Stone--I love the thick starkness of his line, his handsome take on Thor, the contrast between his thick lines and open spaces. Wish he did more, especially of the later stuff set more in Asgard, I think he would have fit the fairy-tale/fantasy elements very well.

Captain America: lots of choices here, I really like Shores' distinctive lush brush-strokes, and Sinnott did some amazing issues of Tales of Suspense, but for me I'd say Giacoia--crisp, precise, sleek, and very well-suited to Cap's placement in the "modern" world of the 60s.

Avengers: not a lot of consistency with inkers here, and some rough inks by guys like Reinman and Roussos that are not my favorite (though I'd still never turn down any of those pages). For me the few issues by Stone give him the nod, besides his Thor I loved his inks on the "new" Iron Man, and he and Kirby's Cap was great too (as in that awesome Cap/Zemo fight sequence).

Hulk: not an obvious choice for me. Ditko's take on Kirby's Hulk gave him a distinctive, scary Karloff-like vibe that was cool, but ultimately I'd go with Ayers' organic inks--the Kirby/Ayers Hulk walked heavily and was a bruiser.

X-Men: don't see how you could look at the various options and not go with Stone here as well.

New Gods/70s Kirby: Royer -- faithful, clean, very distinctive. And his inks made Kirby happy, can't underestimate the value in that.

Did I miss any? Obviously I like Stone a lot but I think it's interesting to consider how much great work he and the King did over several different titles…

Ok, back to reading…

Jeremy

I love the discussion of Kirby inkers, and thinking of it by work on a single title is a very interesting way to look at it. Another game I play when I'm thinking way too much about original art is "who is Kirby's best inker on each title/character?" Some are easy calls, others very debatable:

FF: Sinnot -- duh.

Thor: a case could easily be made for Everett but for me it's Stone--I love the thick starkness of his line, his handsome take on Thor, the contrast between his thick lines and open spaces. Wish he did more, especially of the later stuff set more in Asgard, I think he would have fit the fairy-tale/fantasy elements very well.

Captain America: lots of choices here, I really like Shores' distinctive lush brush-strokes, and Sinnott did some amazing issues of Tales of Suspense, but for me I'd say Giacoia--crisp, precise, sleek, and very well-suited to Cap's placement in the "modern" world of the 60s.

Avengers: not a lot of consistency with inkers here, and some rough inks by guys like Reinman and Roussos that are not my favorite (though I'd still never turn down any of those pages). For me the few issues by Stone give him the nod, besides his Thor I loved his inks on the "new" Iron Man, and he and Kirby's Cap was great too (as in that awesome Cap/Zemo fight sequence).

Hulk: not an obvious choice for me. Ditko's take on Kirby's Hulk gave him a distinctive, scary Karloff-like vibe that was cool, but ultimately I'd go with Ayers' organic inks--the Kirby/Ayers Hulk walked heavily and was a bruiser.

X-Men: don't see how you could look at the various options and not go with Stone here as well.

New Gods/70s Kirby: Royer -- faithful, clean, very distinctive. And his inks made Kirby happy, can't underestimate the value in that.

Did I miss any? Obviously I like Stone a lot but I think it's interesting to consider how much great work he and the King did over several different titles…

Ok, back to reading…

Jeremy

i agree with just about everything you stated above Jeremy..

I actually loved AYERS inking on Sgt Fury and ALL of Jack's westerns..i thought the thicker lines worked on Jack's non superhero work.

I want to know why the money was mailed a long time ago yet hasn't arrived (shrug)

:popcorn:

Why would anyone ever answer directly when you can.....

HbxYMO3.gif

instead?

It's amazing the things that are allowed to pass on the original art forum, it's like a parallel universe. People with the same repeated patterns of questionable behaviour in comics would be run off the boards.

It requires people knowing the details and being assured they are impartially presented. I have seen some back and forth but have no clear view of everything that has transpired.

Which is why when one person drops a couple of deuces in the thread, and then flees the scene preventing details from being presented, people get ornery.

Was that TMNT page really worth ~$5k? I didn't think those pages went for that much.

Kevin has sold some on his site for that, so yeah, probably is worth that or close to it

Agreed. All 4 turtles in it + Fugitoid + early turtles art, + Eastman and Laird only did about the first 10 or so issues together (Issue 8 was not penciled by them) so even with all the hundreds of total issues out there, the two principles behind it only did about 15 issues or so together.

Yup, it was a strong page so not really shocked by that number. There have been numerous sales from issues 3-5, Raphael that have sold in the 4k-5k range.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I love the early TMNT, matter of fact I like almost all TMNT. Issues 4-7 are probably my favorites. I wonder how much a splash page from those issues would go for.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I love the early TMNT, matter of fact I like almost all TMNT. Issues 4-7 are probably my favorites. I wonder how much a splash page from those issues would go for.

I am a fan of TMNT as well and was lucky enough to snag probably one of the earliest pages on the market... I paid pretty much in the range of 4-5 as well..

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1278621

I am a fan of TMNT as well and was lucky enough to snag probably one of the earliest pages on the market... I paid pretty much in the range of 4-5 as well..

WOW!!!!!! What a beauty! Seriously, great images of the turtles and April. I love the 4-7 story line, but honestly, their early art is awesome, and would kill for a page like that. I love how that is the first (I know not technically) look of the turtles, just great.

Any way in particualr in finding those, or is it just HA, ebay, and random artists/dealers who have them?

The early pages do not come up often. Most of them sold early (like 2003-2009 timeframe) and are still in private collections. Raphael #1 came up for sale from Kevin directly last year, but the best page was already bought by some jerk :banana:.

18180546770_a29aa86dfb.jpg

WOW!!!!!! What a beauty! Seriously, great images of the turtles and April. I love the 4-7 story line, but honestly, their early art is awesome, and would kill for a page like that. I love how that is the first (I know not technically) look of the turtles, just great.

Any way in particualr in finding those, or is it just HA, ebay, and random artists/dealers who have them?

Honestly, Kevin Eastman had the every page from the Rapheal micro series ( Casey Jones first appearance) around the time I picked this up last year. He had some nice battle pages ..

Again all for 5k.. Take a look at his website and he still has some pages left from that issue which are pretty sweet and pricey..

Someone also just posted a page on comic link a few days ago from Fugitoid #1 ..

Yeah I don't see that fugitoid page being worth the 5k asked. Very little turtles. Believe it sold on heritage a couple years ago for 1800. Call it 3k but 5k is rich for that one.

The early pages do not come up often. Most of them sold early (like 2003-2009 timeframe) and are still in private collections. Raphael #1 came up for sale from Kevin directly last year, but the best page was already bought by some jerk :banana:.

18180546770_a29aa86dfb.jpg

Didn't see this response.. But yes ! Someone bought the best page right away or even before he posted all the pages.. But the book still had some decent battle pages which are gone now as well..