• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Auction

587 posts in this topic

Isn't the whole "comic OA thing" aesthetic sorta effed when we'll (all of us, including me) pull a panel page out of sequential context and judge it more (much, much more) desirable on visual impact far over storytelling, especially when it's just one page out of twenty-two on the table, and not the pages before and after (presumably the buildup and denouement storytelling to the HOT ACTION page in the middle that's big $$$)?

I swear - sometimes I just don't know what we're collecting here. (Or rather 'why'.) At least when it's a sexy girl or two in nearly-nude costumes being menaced by Arnim Zola...that makes sense :insane:

Yes. All the discussion here sounds like the beginning of "Dead Poet's Society" when the boys are reading from some stodgy old text book about a quantitative method of judging the greatness of literature (until Robin Williams throws the books away).

It was horrible there, and it's just as horrible here.

Its just people trying to make sense of what doesn't always make sense. Starting at conclusions and working backwards. IMHO.

Gene

I've always liked this cover with Thor on it- I think its Thor; hard to tell ?

I laughed so hard at this post my wife came in and read it and started laughing then my three year old came in to see why mommy and daddy were laughing so I showed him the picture of 121 and he started laughing and he said Spider-Man's butt is funny! See, butt shots can be awesome!! lol:headbang:

Stone, really knocked the Thor stuff out of the park.

Yuk, always hated Stone's inking.

Not everyone can appreciate chic stone. I forgive you.

Chic Stone inked a simple line for a simple time. It worked just fine over Kirby in the Silver Age, but I recently came across some of his '80s work and his style just looked terribly out of place in the Copper Age, not unlike when you see late Ditko Marvel art from the '80s and early '90s.

In the '60s, he was better than Reinman, Roussos and Colletta over Kirby at the very least. 2c

Chic Stone inked a simple line for a simple time. It worked just fine over Kirby in the Silver Age, but I recently came across some of his '80s work and his style just looked terribly out of place in the Copper Age, not unlike when you see late Ditko Marvel art from the '80s and early '90s.

In the '60s, he was better than Reinman, Roussos and Colletta over Kirby at the very least. 2c

I agree. Not everyone was a Sinnott, who had (and still has) a transcendent ink line.

Chic over Kirby on Thor was a real sweet spot. In the past I had several examples (long gone now, sadly) and his ability to render light and shade and bring depth to background was far easy to appreciate on the OA than it was on the primary colors of the comics themselves.

That last panel...you know...the Thor full face shot...really demonstrates that ability to give depth to an otherwise simple panel.

Syd Shores over Kirby on Cap was another one. If you ever have a chance to hold the Cap 101 pages in your hands you'll see what I mean. All his fine detail was washed away in the reduction for print process, but the OA itself is lush and gorgeous.

Syd Shores over Kirby on Cap was another one. If you ever have a chance to hold the Cap 101 pages in your hands you'll see what I mean. All his fine detail was washed away in the reduction for print process, but the OA itself is lush and gorgeous.

I love Syd Shores on Kirby.

Chic Stone i feel was the 4th best inker on kirby after:

1) Joe Sinnott

2) Syd Shores

3) Frank Giacoia!

I feel chic stone (with Mike Royer also) inked most faithfully to Jack Kirby's pencils.

(Joe Simon also inked Jacks pencils faithfully in the golden age!) my #5 Jack inker!

Mike

1) Joe Sinnott

2) Syd Shores

3) Frank Giacoia!

I feel chic stone (with Mike Royer also) inked most faithfully to Jack Kirby's pencils.

(Joe Simon also inked Jacks pencils faithfully in the golden age!) my #5 Jack inker!

Mike

My ranking of Silver Age inkers over Kirby would look something like Sinnott, Everett, Shores, Giacoia, Stone, Ayers, Colletta, Reinman, Roussos.

I love Mike Royer on Kirby. Demon has to be my favorite. :cloud9:

He's even better on the OA than he was if you just saw the comics. I remember the first time I saw the Cap 101 pages in person, years ago. I thought Syd must have been crazy. He put so much intricate detail on those pages, they were gorgeous, and entirely lost when they colored and printed it.

He's even better on the OA than he was if you just saw the comics. I remember the first time I saw the Cap 101 pages in person, years ago. I thought Syd must have been crazy. He put so much intricate detail on those pages, they were gorgeous, and entirely lost when they colored and printed it.

Shores is really hit-and-miss. There are some beautiful pages, as you say, and I'm a fan of Cap 109, where his touch makes it a Golden Age kind of thing. But there are others pages(I noticed this particularly in Cap 100) where I'd swear he inked backgrounds with a ballpoint pen. I'm not saying they're so badly done they look like ballpoint -- I mean really, seriously, ballpoint. And on top of that, they look terrible.

A lot of guys were hit and miss with him -- Ditko, for instance. As long as Chic Stone wasn't inking The Thing, I like him on Kirby a lot. His X-Men stuff is great. I wish Sam Grainger had had more of a chance to ink him then.

Shores is really hit-and-miss. There are some beautiful pages, as you say, and I'm a fan of Cap 109, where his touch makes it a Golden Age kind of thing. But there are others pages(I noticed this particularly in Cap 100) where I'd swear he inked backgrounds with a ballpoint pen. I'm not saying they're so badly done they look like ballpoint -- I mean really, seriously, ballpoint. And on top of that, they look terrible.

A lot of guys were hit and miss with him -- Ditko, for instance. As long as Chic Stone wasn't inking The Thing, I like him on Kirby a lot. His X-Men stuff is great. I wish Sam Grainger had had more of a chance to ink him then.

Well, I give Syd a break on those late 60's books for not being consistent, realizing he'd pass away a couple years later.

I love Mike Royer on Kirby. Demon has to be my favorite. :cloud9:

Royer's good too.

I want to know why the money was mailed a long time ago yet hasn't arrived (shrug)

:popcorn:

Why would anyone ever answer directly when you can.....

HbxYMO3.gif

instead?

You mean Ditko inks over Kirby pencils? That’s interesting; I’ve always loved them. The pre-hero stories they did are among my favorites; Strange Tales #79 is one of the best monster covers. I liked the few superhero, war and western stories he inked too.

It’s a nice combination of styles. Ditko was great at modeling and creating a three-dimensional look, a bit like Wood over Kirby, but a little less overpowering than Wood, and he was using a lot of the feathering and cross hatching that he later abandoned.

1) Joe Sinnott

2) Syd Shores

3) Frank Giacoia!

Mike

Chic Stone was hands down my favorite inker of Kirby. It was clean, it was purposeful, it was a man doing his job to keep the pencilers intent intact. When you look at his large art pages, it feels like the silver age. It feels like Kirby. No feathering inks like colleta (when he didnt get tired and erase the details). No block inking and blobing like other inkers. It was just pure.

I want to know why the money was mailed a long time ago yet hasn't arrived (shrug)

:popcorn:

Why would anyone ever answer directly when you can.....

HbxYMO3.gif

instead?

It's amazing the things that are allowed to pass on the original art forum, it's like a parallel universe. People with the same repeated patterns of questionable behaviour in comics would be run off the boards.

I agree. Not everyone was a Sinnott, who had (and still has) a transcendent ink line.

Chic over Kirby on Thor was a real sweet spot. In the past I had several examples (long gone now, sadly) and his ability to render light and shade and bring depth to background was far easy to appreciate on the OA than it was on the primary colors of the comics themselves.

That last panel...you know...the Thor full face shot...really demonstrates that ability to give depth to an otherwise simple panel.

Kirby/Stone Thor and Kirby/Shores Cap is IMO some of the best art Marvel had to offer in the SA

These, and various discussions like this in the past, about Kirby inkers alway interest me... But as someone who didn't read alot of these books it's pretty hard for me to visualize. I'd love to see some side by sides, and I'm sure this isnt the thread for it, but maybe theres a site or thread someone can point me in the direction of? I know its a learned craft observing the little intricacies they surely must all offer, and I could just pop around CAF, but if there is some insufficiently_thoughtful_persons Guide to get me started...