• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Auction

587 posts in this topic

Well, this auction was a strikeout for me and nothing I am interested in today.

I wanted The Tim Sale page, thought it would go for around $3k. The fact that it went for $4k when it is a very good but I wouldn't say great page probably prices me out of picking one up a Sale LH/DV anytime soon.

I was considering going harder on the Killing Joker prelim which I thought went for a very fair price. If the imposter Joker's face was rendered a little more I would've bid again.

The big shock for me were the Infantino pinups. I just didn't think they would go for nearly that much. I would much rather have a few nice MIS or Flash pages for that price.

I was considering going harder on the Killing Joker prelim which I thought went for a very fair price. If the imposter Joker's face was rendered a little more I would've bid again.

I think it was fair and you hit upon why it didn't go higher.

A lot of people don't realize that Brian sometimes did more than one prelim for his work. He may do one for poses and another for pacing and then when it's down to finalizing it do one for facial expressions and finer details that look very close to the finished image.

This one lacked the faces. While it had the poses and is a great piece from a great book. If it had those faces it may have gone for twice as much, if not more.

I think it was fair and you hit upon why it didn't go higher.

A lot of people don't realize that Brian sometimes did more than one prelim for his work. He may do one for poses and another for pacing and then when it's down to finalizing it do one for facial expressions and finer details that look very close to the finished image.

This one lacked the faces. While it had the poses and is a great piece from a great book. If it had those faces it may have gone for twice as much, if not more.

Without a doubt if it had the Joker faces I would have been after it for double what it sold for. Still a great piece for the buyer to own a cool piece of Killing Joke History for the price.

I have always wondered what the Joker transformation prelim would sell for if it went to auction. I bet people would go nuts for it.

nearly $4k for the Tim Sale DV page.......very interesting.

Tim Sale TLH and DV owners should rejoice, that means you will be offering them $500 instead of $400 for similar pages they have, ka-ching!

Malvin

Maybe 4-5 years ago (and plenty of takers too)...but those pages are almost all sold now.

Some peeps be trying to move commissions for 3500!

I wanted The Tim Sale page, thought it would go for around $3k. The fact that it went for $4k when it is a very good but I wouldn't say great page probably prices me out of picking one up a Sale LH/DV anytime soon.

The big shock for me were the Infantino pinups. I just didn't think they would go for nearly that much. I would much rather have a few nice MIS or Flash pages for that price.

Did it sell? I thought I saw "make an offer?"

If I remember correctly, so far the auction did around 5.5 million.....so, say if a really wealthy art collector decided to move into comic art, that person could have bought the entire auction for the price 1 Ed Ruscha painting.

Im not. Those images were all over the place - would wager a lot of collectors had Megos as a kid - and in a nostalgia-driven hobby the prices reflected it.

Surprised not to see much discussion of the big ticket items (unless I missed it)--what did people think of the Kane/Romita Spidey and Kane X-Men covers? The FF Black Panther piece seemed like a very strong price--but I thought it was awesome (and historic) piece, so worth every penny in my mind. I was very surprised by the Kirby/Giacoia JIM page hitting 70K (with the bp)--congrats to both the seller and the winner, it's a killer Thor battle page.

Agree the $70k Kirby/Giacoia page was one that went above my expectations - is it that so much Thor was Colletta, that non-Colletta is premium priced?

Agree the $70k Kirby/Giacoia page was one that went above my expectations - is it that so much Thor was Colletta, that non-Colletta is premium priced?

For that page I would wager it's because it was executed so well and so spectacularly that it's pretty much unimprovable. I'd take that page over almost any splash or cover. It's too damn good.

nearly $4k for the Tim Sale DV page.......very interesting.

Tim Sale TLH and DV owners should rejoice, that means you will be offering them $500 instead of $400 for similar pages they have, ka-ching!

Malvin

lol

Nice price for the Buscema Conan page with Belit and the virgin Red Sonja.

The same page was in the Nov. 2015 HA sale and the buyer reneged on it (I believe at the same price it ended up at this time around). It was offered to me at my underbid price by Heritage, but I declined, as I thought the price was high, and that the reneger probably drove up the price to that (inflated) level.

Given the questionable circumstances surrounding the piece 6 months ago, I was not willing to go as high this time around, so it was two other parties that drove it up this time around,.

Maybe Thor looking forward?

+1

Has it ever been explained why Kirby drew SO MANY panels where faces are covered, backs are turned, you only see certain body parts (e.g., an arm/fist flying in from the side), etc.? Is it just because of the sheer volume of work he was drawing and it was just more expedient than to have to nail faces and all the expressions that go with them?

In any case, on this page, maybe Kirby just thought the angle would look nice, but I don't love that you can only see a sliver of Thor's face in the money shot panel of this half-splash. 2c

Get over yourself Mike. Your money was mailed a long time ago after you provided proof about the drawing.

And I'm not spreading BS, I'm making a statement which I believe is true. Let me know how auctions on other "globes" go for you.

This will be my only response regarding this.

Care to document upon what evidence you base this "belief"?

Or was it arrived to in the same reckless manner that led you to selling a fake Schulz piece as real?

Some people are careful when proclaiming beliefs when they could be damaging and potentially false. Then there's you.

Get over yourself Mike. Your money was mailed a long time ago after you provided proof about the drawing.

And I'm not spreading BS, I'm making a statement which I believe is true. Let me know how auctions on other "globes" go for you.

This will be my only response regarding this.

Care to document upon what evidence you base this "belief"?

Or was it arrived to in the same reckless manner that led you to selling a fake Schulz piece as real?

Some people are careful when proclaiming beliefs when they could be damaging and potentially false. Then there's you.

^^

Yes, AJ listen and learn

G'nite zzz