• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
14 14

4,993 posts in this topic

image_zpspeplyw1b.jpeg

What is this from?

Wide vision print set. Same for his Ghost Rider. The Doom/Thing painting may have been as well. I forget.

They are very cool!

I have so many prints I don't buy much anymore because the cost to frame is crazy and I don't have unlimited wall space.

I would consider a larger physical painting (and the costs associated), I just never come across them.

These are 2 originals I own by him.

image_zpstfubtrxu.jpeg

image_zpsm4tmqtfn.jpeg

How big are they?

Where did you pick them up?

Rhino was eBay.

Bullseye I posted a want for on CAF and an Italian collector accepted my offer. Despite being around 40 years I only know of a little more than a half dozen Bullseye published paintings and a few are covers to French reprints.

They are both around the usual 11x17 I believe.

These are 2 originals I own by him.

image_zpstfubtrxu.jpeg

image_zpsm4tmqtfn.jpeg

How big are they?

Where did you pick them up?

Rhino was eBay.

Bullseye I posted a want for on CAF and an Italian collector accepted my offer. Despite being around 40 years I only know of a little more than a half dozen Bullseye published paintings and a few are covers to French reprints.

They are both around the usual 11x17 I believe.

:applause:

Okay I slept on it and since I can't put ickwinzs' print in the list, here ya go in no particular order, don't ask me to rank these (tsk)

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

Wolverine: The Best There Is #1:

W1.jpg

I guess 7 is my lucky number? (shrug)

Jerome

Nice books!

Personally, I don't like the ASM 667 and think it mostly gets attention due to rarity. [\b] To each their own!

The Original Sin 7 seems to pop in a bunch of lists. It is a beauty!

But if you're happy, I'm happy!

Yes the ASM 667 gets its attention largely because of it's unusual rarity and its presence in the ASM title run. But the art truly is simple and beautiful. To see a copy in hand is to know what I mean. To think that few will ever have an opportunity to actually see one in person is a remarkable notion. And without its noteriety, Dell'otto the artist probably would never have come on collectors' radar and his other fantastic work may not have ever gotten any attention. Most "hot" modern artists have a signature cover , and the ASM 667 is easily his. :cloud9:

-J.

Eh, saw it, had the chance to buy it and I was meh .

But if you guys love it, more power to you. I think some of his Spider-Verse stuff is better personally.

You should have picked it up.

Could have been a hell of a flip if nothing else. :ohnoez:

-J.

Okay I slept on it and since I can't put ickwinzs' print in the list, here ya go in no particular order, don't ask me to rank these (tsk)

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

Personally, I don't like the ASM 667 and think it mostly gets attention due to rarity. [\b] To each their own!

Yes the ASM 667 gets its attention largely because of it's unusual rarity and its presence in the ASM title run. But the art truly is simple and beautiful. To see a copy in hand is to know what I mean. To think that few will ever have an opportunity to actually see one in person is a remarkable notion. And without its noteriety, Dell'otto the artist probably would never have come on collectors' radar and his other fantastic work may not have ever gotten any attention. Most "hot" modern artists have a signature cover , and the ASM 667 is easily his. :cloud9:

-J.

But if you guys love it, more power to you. I think some of his Spider-Verse stuff is better personally.

-J.

At the time it was way overpriced, if I had bought it and flipped it now I would have turned maybe a $500ish profit... Not worth the risk at the time...

For the price I would rather buy an original painting from him of one of my favorite characters.

I think there are a decent number of people out there that have this book and don't know what they have. 2c

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

-J.

At the time it was way overpriced, if I had bought it and flipped it now I would have turned maybe a $500ish profit... Not worth the risk at the time...

For the price I would rather buy an original painting from him of one of my favorite characters.

I think there are a decent number of people out there that have this book and don't know what they have. 2c

Highly unlikely at this point given the ratio of the book, its age, what it sells for even in ragged condition, and how it was originally released but hey, anything's possible under the sun. (thumbs u

-J.

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

-J.

Highly unlikely at this point given the ratio of the book, its age, what it sells for even in ragged condition, and how it was originally released but hey, anything's possible under the sun. (thumbs u

-J.

I'm not saying it isn't a small number. But with somewhere between 200-500 copies printed (includes a lot of assumtions). Where did the other 175-475 go that haven't been in "circulation."

Do you think people threw them away?

While Dell'Otto has gained huge popularity overall, I still think this book is largely unknown to the market at large.

It does feel like the sale from someone on the boards though... hm

I had the same thought when I first saw it. But could also be someone who reads up on comicbookinvest.com too (shrug)

Jerome

Fair enough.

Either way it is overpriced by about 40%. Cool if it sells though.

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

-J.

-J.

I'm not saying it isn't a small number. But with somewhere between 200-500 copies printed (includes a lot of assumtions). Where did the other 175-475 go that haven't been in "circulation."

While Dell'Otto has gained huge popularity overall, I still think this book is largely unknown to the market at large.

Oh they're certainly out there no doubt.

I would simply posit that the small quantity that was printed and circulated (whatever that number may actually be) is buried deep within ASM run and rare variant fanatics' collections, and is long out of the hands of speculators and flippers.

Hence the ever so slight trickle of copies we see hitting the market and the census, no matter how high prices on copies seem to get.

-J.

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

-J.

-J.

I would simply posit that the small quantity that was printed and circulated (whatever that number may actually be) is buried deep within ASM run and rare variant fanatics collections, and is long out of the hands of speculators and flippers.

Hence the ever so slight trickle of copies we see hitting the market and the census, no matter how high prices on copies seem to get.

-J.

You mean there are rare variant fanatics outside the boards!!! :o

Maybe you are right, maybe I am or maybe it is a balance of both.

:shrug:

I would simply posit that the small quantity that was printed and circulated (whatever that number may actually be) is buried deep within ASM run and rare variant fanatics' collections, and is long out of the hands of speculators and flippers.

-J.

Same with the Batman 608 RRP :tonofbricks:lol

Jerome

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

-J.

-J.

I would simply posit that the small quantity that was printed and circulated (whatever that number may actually be) is buried deep within ASM run and rare variant fanatics collections, and is long out of the hands of speculators and flippers.

-J.

Speculative conversations like this will likely always occur with the book because it is such a conundrum and defies all standard convention and expectation. I do stand by my earlier analysis however , that the book was simply under ordered at the retail level as a last minute offering that was subsequent to the original FOC, and of course the fact that it is a 1:100 doesn't hurt either.

-J.

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

I think that ASM is one of his weaker rare variant covers.

Yes. It's neither a great cover, nor a horrible cover. It's ok.

Secret Wars #7:

SW7.jpg

Superman/Batman #7:

SB7.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #667:

ASM667.jpg

Original Sin #7:

OS7.jpg

W1.jpg

Jerome

Nice books!

-J.

-J.

-J.

The opposite of what you just said is true.

-J.

Same with the Batman 608 RRP :tonofbricks:lol

Jerome

Should have never have sold yours. :baiting:

Bats completists are as hard core as the ASM'ers.

-J.

-J.

Eh, saw it, had the chance to buy it and I was [/b] meh .

-J.

-J.

-J.

Speculative conversations like this will likely always occur with the book because it is such a conundrum and defies all standard convention and expectation.

There are many modern variants that do the same thing; they simply haven't been as thoroughly discussed. It IS "standard convention" for many of these books to disappear into whatever various holes they go to, not to be seen again for lengths of time.

I do stand by my earlier analysis however , that the book was simply under ordered at the retail level as a last minute offering that was subsequent to the original FOC, and of course the fact that it is a 1:100 doesn't hurt either.

-J.

I don't know what "under ordered" means. After all, Superman #75 was also "under ordered", and it stands as the second highest printed book of "all time" (after X-Men #1, and it's certainly not X-Force #1.)

But yes, it was certainly lightly ordered at the retail level, as a last minute offering, offered at the time of the original FOC, with the FOC then extended another week.

Tough, tough book, obviously.