• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Polirer said:

So here is the Dark nights Metal cover by Dell'Otto 

Metal#1_Dell'Otto_Final.jpeg

What I like about the sales for this issue, is that you don't have to buy the bundle to get the virgin. All three covers you can buy individually. I understand maximizing a seller's sales numbers by selling the covers as a package, but as a customer I usually only want the virgin. +1 for Bullet Proof for breaking the package cycle.

16 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I really like a lot of Dell'Otto's work ( despite the rumor I don't like anything :eyeroll: ) , but I'm just checked out to these figures floating in weird portrait space. He is overbooking himself, perhaps he needs to raise his rate.

Instead of starting out with a negative comment, is there anything about the painting that you do like? I think that's why you got a bad wrap. Also have you seen any movie like braveheart or gladiator, the battle scenes the air is always smoked red from the fires and the blood. I think that what Dell'otto was going for here with Bats in a suit of armor blood coming off his axes, etc.

9 minutes ago, Polirer said:

Instead of starting out with a negative comment, is there anything about the painting that you do like? I think that's why you got a bad wrap. Also have you seen any movie like braveheart or gladiator, the battle scenes the air is always smoked red from the fires and the blood. I think that what Dell'otto was going for here with Bats in a suit of armor blood coming off his axes, etc.

I think I stated how I feel about the image, but I will be more explicit - I have little interest in it because it is a painting of a relatively generic looking armored Batman attacking air.

He has a lot of cover work that is exactly like this - take titular character, strike some type of pose, paint them into a vaguely uniformly colored void. He may just be taking on too much work, or maybe this is his style progressing, but whatever it is I prefer his more lively work.

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity

4 minutes ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

I agree this is not his worst "floating in a void" cover, it works in this case, but I get where squared is coming from. Look at his books with full backgrounds, it's just night and day.

I'm not saying it is his worst, so I agree with you there.

4 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I think I stated how I feel about the image, but I will be more explicit - I have little interest in it because it is a painting of a relatively generic looking armored Batman attacking air.

He has a lot of cover work that is exactly like this - take titular character, strike some type of pose, paint them into a vaguely uniformly colored void. He may just be taking on too much work, or maybe this is his style progressing, but whatever it is I prefer his more lively work.

All negativity 

35 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I guess you didn't see any of his recent work on Clone Saga.  

He paints what he paints.  We don't have to like all of it.  But to imply he "only" paints what you described is myopic, to say the least.  

-J.

37 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

I guess you didn't see any of his recent work on Clone Saga.  

He paints what he paints.  We don't have to like all of it.  But to imply he "only" paints what you described is myopic, to say the least.  

-J.

That is not what I said Jay. Once again, you are misquoting me. Please work on reading posts more carefully if you're going to attribute such statements about their content, or if that isn't the issue here, please stop maliciously misquoting me.

3 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

That is not what I said Jay. Once again, you are misquoting me. Please work on reading posts more carefully if you're going to attribute such statements about their content, or if that isn't the issue here, please stop maliciously misquoting me.

I get the gist of what you're saying. When you say things like "he should raise his rates or take less work" the underlying intent of your statements are quite clear, regardless of how literal you believe you are being, to the point where I felt compelled to point out some other recent work that is the exact opposite of what you described  (not that I mind seeing my favourite characters features prominently with little background noise every once in a while).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

I get the gist of what you're saying. When you say things like "he should raise his rates or take less work" the underlyingintent of your statements are quite clear, to the point where I felt compelled to point out some other recent work that is the exact opposite of what you described  (not that I mind seeing my favourite characters features prominently with little background noise every once in a while).

-J.

-J.

You clearly don't get the gist of what I'm saying, you once again left off part of what I said and only quote the part you want to pay attention to... like you nearly always do. I also stated it is possible that it may be the progression of his style - as in maybe he is doing it on purpose, not as a way to more quickly do more covers - yet you oddly left that part out. Probably because it doesn't fit your narrative  :screwy:

2 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

You clearly don't get the gist of what I'm saying, you once again left off part of what I said and only quote the part you want to pay attention to... like you nearly always do. I also stated it is possible that it may be the progression of his style - as in maybe he is doing it on purpose, not as a way to more quickly do more covers - yet you oddly left that part out. Probably because it doesn't fit your narrative  :screwy:

No narratives.  I've just accepted that you're a glass half empty kind of guy. ;)

-J.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:00 AM, DTM700 said:

What I like about the sales for this issue, is that you don't have to buy the bundle to get the virgin. All three covers you can buy individually. I understand maximizing a seller's sales numbers by selling the covers as a package, but as a customer I usually only want the virgin. +1 for Bullet Proof for breaking the package cycle.

They did this for the Harley Quinn Dell Otto last year as well. Love it when they offer the virgin separately. I'm very tempted to get the SS series as it would be fantastic