• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Polirer said:

There's something about keeping it pure and not risking the 9.8.

Rich_Henn is my go to presser he's taken 9.2s up to 9.8s. So can he take it to a 9.9 or 10, don't know.

If Dell'Otto doesn't appear at NYCC we already know Stan won't so we'd need a facilitator. Plus how much would these sigs add to the book value?

There in lies the issue. Are you eventually going to sell this or is it something you plan on holding on to for a long time in your PC? If it were me personally, I'd go just Dell'Otto (should he appear at NYCC).

12 minutes ago, Polirer said:

Rich_Henn is my go to presser he's taken 9.2s up to 9.8s. So can he take it to a 9.9 or 10, don't know.

If Dell'Otto doesn't appear at NYCC we already know Stan won't so we'd need a facilitator. Plus how much would these sigs add to the book value?

I don't know if it would add any value to it at all.  The book exists in a kind of vacuum as it is.   It's possible more collectors would rather have it in its original state than signed, or wouldn't necessarily pay anything "extra" if it were signed, especially at these price points.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I don't know if it would add any value to it at all.  The book exists in a kind of vacuum as it is.   It's possible more collectors would rather have it in its original state than signed, or wouldn't necessarily pay anything "extra" if it were signed, especially at these price points.  

-J.

Would an ASM 15 command more with Stan's sig?

7 minutes ago, MDR123 said:

There in lies the issue. Are you eventually going to sell this or is it something you plan on holding on to for a long time in your PC? If it were me personally, I'd go just Dell'Otto (should he appear at NYCC).

I plan on holding for a long time, only way I sell is if there's a family emergency.

Just now, Polirer said:

Would an ASM 15 command more with Stan's sig?

(shrug) I have no idea.  I think less people want sigs in general than those who do.  I think too many books are signed in general as it is. But that just my opinion, like I said, I'm not an SS guy.  There are also a lot more ASM 15's than 667's.  

-J.

I'm just back into collecting after a 25 year absence, thanks to SDCC.  Thanks to this thread, I've discovered Dell'Otto and am saving to buy a few gems I really like.  Now I've decided it's just best to pony up and get the already slabbed 9.8 with the hope of getting them s/s down the line.  My question to those who are hesitant to this type of endeavor, is how many times have you personally had a cracked book come back at a lower grade or how many horror stories have you read?  My vote doesn't count for much, but I'd love Dell'Otto signing that beautiful book you just picked up, but can understand why you wouldn't want to take the risk.  

3 minutes ago, Drill423 said:

I'm just back into collecting after a 25 year absence, thanks to SDCC.  Thanks to this thread, I've discovered Dell'Otto and am saving to buy a few gems I really like.  Now I've decided it's just best to pony up and get the already slabbed 9.8 with the hope of getting them s/s down the line.  My question to those who are hesitant to this type of endeavor, is how many times have you personally had a cracked book come back at a lower grade or how many horror stories have you read?  My vote doesn't count for much, but I'd love Dell'Otto signing that beautiful book you just picked up, but can understand why you wouldn't want to take the risk.  

I had an ASM 300 slabbed as a 9.8 cracked open to get signed by Stan, McFarlane, And Michelinie. Came back a 9.4. I talked to the facilitator he pressed on his dime. It came back a 9.8. But I was stressed.

54 minutes ago, Polirer said:

I had an ASM 300 slabbed as a 9.8 cracked open to get signed by Stan, McFarlane, And Michelinie. Came back a 9.4. I talked to the facilitator he pressed on his dime. It came back a 9.8. But I was stressed.

Fair enough.  I guess it only takes one hit on a book of that magnitude to make you wary of cracking the case.  Glad it all worked out for you!   

Some facilitators will treat the book better than others (Rich_Henn is great), but if you know how to handle books for signings, no one will treat the book as well as you will. My major, large value books, I generally take them to get it done myself. Its an experience that I enjoy and adds to the experience overall. I plan to pass my major books down to my kiddo one day and Ill get to tell her about meeting Stan and show her the pictures/video of getting him to sign them.

2 hours ago, Polirer said:

I wouldn't risk having a corner get dinged or bent during transport to get the sig then shipping to CGC as well. But I do agree the sigs would add more value to the book. I just would be too scared to crack the slab knowing there is absolutely no guaranteed 9.8 coming if I resubmit 

2 minutes ago, Michael Lamm said:

I wouldn't risk having a corner get dinged or bent during transport to get the sig then shipping to CGC as well. But I do agree the sigs would add more value to the book. I just would be too scared to crack the slab knowing there is absolutely no guaranteed 9.8 coming if I resubmit 

If it came back a 9.6 then you would have to crack, press, and resubmit again. Again no guaranteed 9.8 

I think if you look and see anything you question about the book that would indicate if could come back 9.6, definitely do not do it. Its possible you could submit over and over and it never be a 9.8. Who knows. But, if its a solid 9.8, it could be completely safe to do SS if treated properly. Theres always a risk, but you just have to minimize that risk as much as possible.

I'm a big SS fan but if it was me I would leave that unicorn in it's slab.  There is always the risk something can go wrong during the process and having a book go from a 9.8 to a 9.4 would have a devastating effect on it's value.  There are only a dozen of these 9.8 unicorns in it's existence and you're proud owner.

I was thinking of getting Scott's 9.4 copy and then getting it signed by Dell'Otto but with that grade, it can only stay or go up from there.   If you are gambling man, then just get Dell'Otto.  Stan signature as of late has been illegible and who knows where he would sign it.  Too much what if this or that may happen personally it's not worth it.

Key for Stan. Go early, be one of the first ones or go to a VIP type event when his arm doesn't feel like lead. And, window bag the exact, tight spot for him to sign and make sure to give him the pen/marker you want that works.

His signature looks pretty good if you do those things. Otherwise, crab shoot.

Edited by kevhtx

7 hours ago, Polirer said:

Much less expensive, but here is an example of a risk that I knew going in was a big one. It was a 9.6 when I got it. I knew it wouldn't hit 9.8 and was worried it might drop, but took the risk anyway. I really wanted his signature on it. When I got it, I saw the tiny spine tick and I had it pressed before the signing.

I did not send to CCS after the signing. I should have. Next time Liu is signing, I am going to get her to sign it and have CCS press it. I love the signatures on it, placement and color. So, I am happy about that. Hopefully, I can get her to sign it and it bump back to 9.6. Fingers crossed. ;) 

FYI - I got Craig Kyle on it at ECCC then gave it to Doug for the Dell'Otto signing back in April.

IMG_8996.JPG

Edited by kevhtx

17 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Much less expensive, but here is an example of a risk that I knew going in was a big one. It was a 9.6 when I got it. I knew it wouldn't hit 9.8 and was worried it might drop, but took the risk anyway. I really wanted his signature on it. When I got it, I saw the tiny spine tick and I had it pressed before the signing.

I did not send to CCS after the signing. I should have. Next time Liu is signing, I am going to get her to sign it and have CCS press it. I love the signatures on it, placement and color. So, I am happy about that. Hopefully, I can get her to sign it and it bump back to 9.6. Fingers crossed. ;) 

FYI - I got Craig Kyle on it at ECCC then gave it to Doug for the Dell'Otto signing back in April.

IMG_8996.JPG

Nice looking comic. Tough grade. 

20 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

IMG_8996.JPG

Gorgeous looking book nonetheless.    Have you purchased the graders' notes ? One, even two tiny colour breaking spine ticks won't stop a book from being a 9.8. A 9.8 is not a perfect book.

-J.

1 minute ago, Jackhartmann said:

Nice looking comic. Tough grade. 

I think the mistake I made was not pressing after the signing. Here are the grading notes:

light spine stress lines to cover
small, light bend left center of back cover

These are pressable defects usually (the words "light", "bends" and absence of "breaks color"). There is a minor spine tick that breaks color on the back though. That was the one I was worried about. I guess from a technical standpoint, a 9.8 could have 1 minor spine tick like that, but generally those are 9.6's. It is very small though. But, I knew that anything else could make it go down as well.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Gorgeous looking book nonetheless.    Have you purchased the graders' notes ? One, even two tiny colour breaking spine ticks won't stop a book from being a 9.8. A 9.8 is not a perfect book.

-J.

Yeah, I guess maybe Im just too critical on them. When I saw the spine tick on it, I figured it would be a 9.6.