• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love it, (s)he can't stand it.

38 posts in this topic

We all probably have one. That piece that our spouse/partner/significant other just doesn't like.

My wife doesn't like my Kubert Sgt. Rock and he's only charging the viewer. (Click to embiggen)

What's not to like?

SgtRockByKubert.jpg

What's yours?

Mine is easy... My wife almost never cares what I get. Woman and baby getting shot? No big deal. Smoking? Not a problem. Beheading? Sure, I can hang it up on the wall.

But this one got a firm disapproving stare. "Really? Why did you want that? Because of her boobs?"

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1295959

Which is weird because she never complained about this which is much worse! lol

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=673987

You really don't see the difference between the two pieces?

The big difference I see is one is sequential, the other pin-up. The sequential piece contains nudity (presumably) in context, in service of the story. The pin-up is gratuitous. Both are fine, for what they are, but my preference would be the same as the poster's wife...the sequential piece.

We all probably have one. That piece that our spouse/partner/significant other just doesn't like.

My wife doesn't like my Kubert Sgt. Rock and he's only charging the viewer. (Click to embiggen)

What's not to like?

SgtRockByKubert.jpg

What's yours?

Well, I don't collect too much original art, but if you are talking comics in general, then you should be thankful your wife only has a problem with ONE of your pieces. I could probably provide you with a long list of items my wife would prefer NOT be in my collection. If, however, I am forced to narrow it down to one piece, then I will go with my copy of "Reform School Girl" (1951).

Sorry, I am not at home right now to provide you with a photo of this, however, I am pretty sure most people are at least familiar with the cover depicting Canadian ice skater Marty Collins, dressed rather provocatively.

My wife likes, even loves, many different kinds of art. Really open-minded. Gallery and museum stuff, comic art, illustration, all that. I'll add she's merely a fan though, not a collector. Just about everything that comes in, she likes. But this is the one she hates:

aT5ltlF.jpg

It's a head-scratcher, as she really digs the Gothic Romance genre (art only, not the books) in particular. She often asks if/when I'll be getting new ones lol . If she ever took up collecting, it would be in this genre. But not this piece!

You really don't see the difference between the two pieces?

The big difference I see is one is sequential, the other pin-up. The sequential piece contains nudity (presumably) in context, in service of the story. The pin-up is gratuitous. Both are fine, for what they are, but my preference would be the same as the poster's wife...the sequential piece.

Exactly; I've never read Preacher, but the page clearly seems to be a depiction of a moment of intimacy between the two characters, of which the nudity is just a part.

My wife likes, even loves, many different kinds of art. Really open-minded. Gallery and museum stuff, comic art, illustration, all that. I'll add she's merely a fan though, not a collector. Just about everything that comes in, she likes. But this is the one she hates:

aT5ltlF.jpg

It's a head-scratcher, as she really digs the Gothic Romance genre (art only, not the books) in particular. She often asks if/when I'll be getting new ones lol . If she ever took up collecting, it would be in this genre. But not this piece!

its very well done...but it is a little off-putting. Its the colors and the huge bands of them. something unsettling about it.

its very well done...but it is a little off-putting. Its the colors and the huge bands of them. something unsettling about it.

I'm not one to usually retro-credit things to an artist that he didn't clearly intend, BUT it is Dean Ellis (more widely known for his rather accomplished sf covers) and it was the late 60s...it may be that he did intend the colors and layout to 'unsettle' lending a very different tension to the usual dark 'n stormy night sort of gothic romance cover. I mention the 60s because those were the days not just of Haight but also Josef Albers color theory. Maybe this or maybe nothing more than another quickie painting and paycheck where the art director demanded certain colors for whatever reason!

Wait, that isn't somebody from the Insane Clown Posse? Or King Diamond?!?

Kiss guy! To funny. ;)

The closest thing to "can't stand" that I have had so far is an "indifference" piece. I used to own an Ashley Wood painting, and I remember my wife's reaction to it was a shrug. She told our friends she didn't really think much of it one way or the other. It was "ok". We tend to like a lot of the same things though, so indifference was as biting of a response as I think I've had. It ended up getting sold to a friend of mine that was on a bit of an AW collecting tear for a while, and I needed the space.

412238411.jpg

aT5ltlF.jpg

That painting looks familiar.

I have other Gothic Romance paintings should you have a desire to buy another one.

aT5ltlF.jpg

I have other Gothic Romance paintings should you have a desire to buy another one.

I know. But they'd have to be the same $125 :baiting:

aT5ltlF.jpg

I know. But they'd have to be the same $125 :baiting:

That's funny!

Wait, that isn't somebody from the Insane Clown Posse? Or King Diamond?!?

Kiss guy! To funny. ;)

The closest thing to "can't stand" that I have had so far is an "indifference" piece. I used to own an Ashley Wood painting, and I remember my wife's reaction to it was a shrug. She told our friends she didn't really think much of it one way or the other. It was "ok". We tend to like a lot of the same things though, so indifference was as biting of a response as I think I've had. It ended up getting sold to a friend of mine that was on a bit of an AW collecting tear for a while, and I needed the space.

412238411.jpg

My immediate reaction was, "Looks like she's about to have a dump". Sorry, must be my sick sense of humour at play . . .