• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I love it, (s)he can't stand it.

38 posts in this topic

Happy wife, happy life

...also, out of sight, out of mind.

Keep the controversial artwork tucked away if it's deemed offensive for any reason.

Don't lose your identity, 'tho compromise is great, if there's a piece which you like (a subjective term), you still should be able to enjoy it without being married to a censor, critic or morality police, so long as you're respectful and just don't display it openly. Not saying sneak around or anything, but also saying if it's something you enjoy worth discussing, don't cave in just to keep the peace, ignoring a problem won't make it go away, so the issue may transcend just the image on a piece of paper if that is the catalyst for an argument. I have a friend whose wife is forceably castrating him through criticizing his collection, and it's a fairly sad sight to see the passion extinguished without logical reason behind the reactions.

I have a friend whose wife is forceably castrating him through criticizing his collection, and it's a fairly sad sight to see the passion extinguished without logical reason behind the reactions.

Some men are just married to the wrong women. Not being snarky, but you're talking out both sides of your mouth (in the non-quoted sections your wrote)...be your own man, but keep the peace? Hide it but don't sneak around?? Man, it's either teamwork or it's nothing. If neither side give an inch and is not willing to ever -the marriage is hell and should end in divorce. The sooner the better too!

Maybe your friend is winning in other ways that you aren't aware of? More time on the golf course or hanging out with his comic art buddies (aka...you!) Or maybe the art is more important to him than her, and he needs to see that for what it is and take action?

Not art necessarily, but my wife wouldn't let me hang a specific movie poster in the house because the image scared her...

AP-FRAME-684-spellbound-hitchcock-movie-poster.jpg

Bad feng shui. She generally doesn't mind what I hang in the house but I certainly understand the aversion to that one.

It worked out fine because it looks better in my office anyway.

My ex hated my Michael Myers Halloween painting and used to person_without_enough_empathy about it due to the fact there was a knife in the image. When I asked why she didn't have a problem with the Wolverine cover with him holding Sabretooth's decapitated head with blood dripping from the head and Wolverine's claws the response I got was "Well I never noticed, I don't like that either."

I have a few pieces with really low Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) :acclaim:

hiDQd0bt_2602160340351.JPG

Your wife is right about that punisher cover, you definitely should get rid of it. I would be willing to take one for the team and take that off your hands. :idea:

Your wife is right about that punisher cover, you definitely should get rid of it. I would be willing to take one for the team and take that off your hands. :idea:

Thank you for your kind suggestion :foryou: Unfortunately, to get that cover you'll probably have to - one day - dig up my coffin and pry it from my cold dead hands :grin: Then again, I've always wanted a brand-new Bentley hm

Actually I've been training my wife for years (that sentence somehow didn't start out right :sorry: ) and we've watched Comic Book Men together (all seasons), Daredevil Season One and several Marvel movies - so she's not unfamiliar with comics and superheroes. It's just that the blood and violence, and emotional expressions, may be too much on some pieces :whistle:

And I frame all my art behind Museum Glass, so it's not exactly hidden, but some pieces are placed where the kids (and sun and UV radiation :grin: ) rarely see them. Of course this kind of art isn't placed in the living rooms, but in my man cave rooms. She gets to decorate the rest of the house, I guess that's how the fine-tuned balance of terror within our marriage is maintained (thumbs u

Furthermore of course she has no idea what I've paid for the pieces and my comic books - that may be very important too 2c:facepalm:

Maybe I could add another equation to my upcoming book on Wife Math - in cause you let her know what you paid for it :idea:

Wife Non-Acceptance Factor (Comic Art) = A basic value for her resentment of a piece x ("what you paid for it in $" / 100)

:jokealert:

Come to think about it, there is one thing that my wife shot down. I couldn't even BUY this because it sort of horrified her.

Heath_Ledger_Joker1.jpg

I deal heavily in autographs (star wars mostly) but TDK was hands down my favorite movie of the last 20 years. Heath's passing in post production meant that authentic signed items from him as the Joker were just beyond rare. It was only the local Chicago are graph guys had a shot at him, and it was only for like 3-4 weeks was there an image of him in character available for folks to print and have him sign. This is what an authentic one looks like...and MAN she wasn't having it. She said it was creepy and sad, and knowing how the role sorta drove the man to his death she didn't want that in the house. I could have had this, but had to pass. Regretted it since, but honestly no piece is worth more then "peace".

That's a great photo :applause: - but of course it's not worth a divorce or other great conflicts.

One quote from the movie Titanic has inspired my collecting habits and I remember it sounded much like:

"A man's heart is a deep ocean of secrets" ;)

I have some comic art hanging in every room in the house, along with other non comic art in most rooms. I have plenty of art that is in folios too, so I don't find it much of a burden to try and compromise on putting up art that my wife likes, or at least doesn't actively dislike. She hasn't ever said "I hate that, take it down" but she only says she likes something if she REALLY likes it and that is also somewhat rare. Fortunately, she likes James Jean and Tim Sale's work and since we know Tim, Jack Davis, Bill Stout and several other comic and fantasy artists personally, they usually get the thumbs up (she gave me a GA Bulldog piece by Jack for my 50th birthday.) It generally helps when she has met the artist before-nothing like a personal connection. On the other hand, she is pretty ho hum about Frazetta or Kirby or P. Craig Russell or Mike Mignola or any number of other things I have hanging up-she's just glad I am happy with them. While I have the larger say on things on the wall, my wife has the much larger say about furniture, paint colors and other home type decisions. I find that helps even things out and keeps everyone happy.

The Wife and I both have veto power on new purchases since it is really a shared collection. The downside is that I can't sneak in any Copper Age nostalgia buys on books she hasn't read. But maybe that is a good thing. If we both have to approve, maybe it keeps the quality of the purchases higher. At least I hope so.