• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Spring Auction

359 posts in this topic

Before and after on that Cap #171 cover:

photo cap 111 before after.jpg

Was there some playing with the contrast on the second image? Don't see how the logo got darker.

I'm curious how some of the writing appeared

Somebody saved that piece's life right there. Wow.

Assuming vellum is inherently unstable, haven't looked into it myself, then yes -total save as this thing was brown garbage. This should all be disclosed upfront though by the consignor to House and then House to bidding community. Anybody bidding $50k (approx. right?) to take this home must see that first pic as permanent House record and not by happenstance on a bbs.

Gene, was it reinked?

I'm curious how some of the writing appeared

I don't know what was done to it, as I came by the photo second-hand.

That said, at the NJ show last month, I spoke to Robert Dennis about potentially getting a cover I own cleaned/conserved. It's a borderline case - I'd say about 60% of people I polled thought it should be and about 40% (including two of the very biggest BSDs in the hobby) said leave it alone. Ultimately, I decided to leave it alone for now, as even Dennis said that it's not like it's likely to get worse anytime soon.

Part of my reason for deciding such was because Dennis explained that, during the whitening process, oftentimes the margin notes fade away, especially if they are written in blue ink, which fades away completely in the solution used for cleaning. As such, apparently it's not uncommon to have those margin notes re-inked (don't remember if that's done before or after the cleaning), which is obviously what happened with the margin notes for this Cap #171 cover. We've seen other examples on CAF/at auction (like that X-Men #137 page) where the margin notes fade during cleaning and are not-reinked, though, so it's not always done.

It is not standard practice to have any of the art itself re-inked, though I'm sure there are occasions where it is done (no idea if any of the #171 cover image was re-inked).

Somebody saved that piece's life right there. Wow.

Assuming vellum is inherently unstable, haven't looked into it myself, then yes -total save as this thing was brown garbage. This should all be disclosed upfront though by the consignor to House and then House to bidding community. Anybody bidding $50k (approx. right?) to take this home must see that first pic as permanent House record and not by happenstance on a bbs.

I agree 100% on full disclosure. Top marks to comiclink and the consignor- I haven't looked at the auction description for maybe a week or two, but just looked now- there is now way more detail there concerning resto specifics.

I don't know who owns the piece, I do know who owned it shortly before it went on Mike's site- he was someone I never did business with but talked to several times and got great vibes from him, I'd be surprised if he still owned the piece and purposely left off resto details on the auction.

As far as your 50K guess- I think that may be way high. Pre-resto with Mike I think the price was around 8K (and didn't fly off the shelf). As bad as the piece looked, and even though it's not twice up, a SA Infantino/Anderson Flash cover going for 4 figures does not compute. There's something going on here. ***and this is only my amateur opinion, I'm not trying to mess with the seller's auction-

I have a hard time believing this is Infantino pencils, and even if it is I question if they are on the board. I'm no artist or art expert but I've been a fan of Infantino's SA Flash for 30+ years and looked at the stuff every day for about 4 years straight, so I am a bit familiar with it. His last interior work was #174. I think full cover credits on 175 and 176 aren't as clear as they could be (no matter what credits are published in various places). With 176, Infantino just became art director so he likely designed cover layouts for a ton of DC's books. I can easily believe he did the layout (scribble on a separate sheet of paper). I don't personally see any Infantino in the Death character, or more telling, the Flash figure. His pencils were loose and his inkers were able to make his stuff equally theirs, if not more so. Anderson definitely did that. Still, I see Anderson in the Flash figure but don't see an Infantino influence.

As far as the board, I don't own any vellum pieces and never worked with it so have no problem admitting I need an education on the stuff. I don't know if when this is used, it is usually on a separate board from pencils? I think whoever did the resto (probably one of two people) could likely give some inside info on what they saw underneath while working on it.

I've always wondered with VELLUM pieces...i've talked with John Romita Sr over the years extensively about his vellum covers and why he drew so many.

Obviously he had no idea these would be valuable one day...he was just trying to get it drawn as fast and as good as he could. and never thought about glue and yellowing of the art and so on.

He explained that he could draw a much more detailed line with velum (the ink lines do not bleed out like on Bristol) AND with vellum the ink lines dry a lot faster than Bristol board, so he said it worked very well for him, which...when he told me all of this it made alot more sense.....

also...I feel that we as fans don't really think a lot about this..... But he also said how when he was inking, he would ALWAYS make sure he inked left to right completely and top to bottom of a page or cover, so he didn't get his right hand to accidentally smudge what he just inked..

again maybe other inkers can share their inking techniques as in what they would ink first as to not smudge the drawing.

But like the FLASH cover...i've always felt that when you have "2 DIFFERENT" artists credited on a vellum piece.....i'm thinking you are only getting the INKERS artwork...but STILL the published cover........ but with a single artist..i believe you are getting it all.

I do know that John Romita would always pencil and ink on his vellum if he was the only artist drawing the full cover (like nearly all of his SPIDEY SUPER STORIES COVERS........ and some of his later ASM COVERS!

He did say he would at times draw a very loose pencil cover (full size (10 by 15 inch image) first and then put the new vellum over it and pencil and ink the final vellum cover tightly....(only when using vellum for the final cover)

I personally feel that John Romita's most DETAILED artwork from the 1970s was when he was using vellum.

Mike

Yeah, that's Roussos. I almost bought a couple of pages from that book in the past because the content was quite good, but just couldn't get over the inking and ended up passing after much contemplation. This particular page is not terrible, but some of the inking on other pages from the issue is just :sick:

Yeah, that's Roussos. I almost bought a couple of pages from that book in the past because the content was quite good, but just couldn't get over the inking and ended up passing after much contemplation. This particular page is not terrible, but some of the inking on other pages from the issue is just :sick:

I think Bechara had a page from this book, also very good content but really bad inking, I agree this one is not bad.

This page is listed as penciled by Mike Vosburg, but sure looks like Herb Trimpe to me. Especially the layout in the vertical panel and that mug in the next-to-last panel:

G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #15 PAGE 3

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2016may%26itemtype%3D1%26pg%3D9%23Item_1120024&id=1120024

This page is listed as penciled by Mike Vosburg, but sure looks like Herb Trimpe to me. Especially the layout in the vertical panel and that mug in the next-to-last panel:

G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #15 PAGE 3

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview.asp%3Fcode%3D2016may%26itemtype%3D1%26pg%3D9%23Item_1120024&id=1120024

No, that's all Vosburg. I don't think Herb and Mike ever met while they were working on the Joe book. Although Herb drew the #14 & #16 covers, Vosburg drew all the interiors from issues #9-19 and then #22-23.

The only reason that Snake Eyes pin-up by Trimpe was published in #19 is that it was in inventory - it was created at the same time as the other pin-ups that appeared in issue #1.

Haven't even received my shipment from April's auction :facepalm:

Has anyone else had them send you a notification as if it has shipped but only the shipping label was created? It has been sitting somewhere for about a week, ready to ship but no movement.