• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Spring Auction

359 posts in this topic

Zoinks! the Ditko Mr. A splash is over $22K.

The Starlin Thanos illo is at $2.6K :ohnoez:

Those Starlin Thanos illo prices are mind boggling, I would chalk it up to uninformed buyers, but you need 2 to tango and this is not the first time this happened.

Malvin

Some years ago a Mr A splash went in Heritage for some demented high price, like 35K or something. I remember folks talking about it at the time. Was wondering if it was a fluke but apparently not. Wealthy Objectivist Collectors will fight tooth and nail for one of these rarities!

Some years ago a Mr A splash went in Heritage for some demented high price, like 35K or something. I remember folks talking about it at the time. Was wondering if it was a fluke but apparently not. Wealthy Objectivist Collectors will fight tooth and nail for one of these rarities!

You're right! A different Mr A splash sold for $39K on Heritage!

I thought it was nuts then and was called out on my comment (whatevs...!) Same today. Over $10k is nuts. But good news for the consignor. I don't know if it's the same guy that offered it to me for $5k many years ago, but wow...times have changed for very much not ASM Ditko art!

Zoinks! the Ditko Mr. A splash is over $22K.

The Starlin Thanos illo is at $2.6K :ohnoez:

Those Starlin Thanos illo prices are mind boggling, I would chalk it up to uninformed buyers, but you need 2 to tango and this is not the first time this happened.

Malvin

Yeah it's been happening for a couple years. A flipper's been buying 11x14 full figure Starlins and getting Rubinstein to add backgrounds. I figure total cost is $800 max. Amazing the number of sheep ready to be fleeced out there :facepalm:

For those who are dithering wether to pull the trigger or not on the reserve price on the artwork they are interested in here are a few factors that i way up before deciding.

The first thing i think of is is the price a reasonable one or is it completely way over the top? Now without an OA price guide how do you determine this? Well i go to the websites that have the results of their original art auctions. Then i do 2 things to roughly gage the prices that particular artists's work has been fetching recently. First of all try and find the same character(s) that the artist has drawn and compare it with the page that is being offered and if its from the same title then even better. Then try and do a like for like comparison. If the page being offered is not as good as the one that sold previously i.e the page does not have the main character(s) on it, is not in as many panels or the images are smaller then straight away i know i am not going to pay as much as what the last one sold for.and i use this as my starting point. So if a page by that artist with the same character(s) sold for 30K last time and i think the page i am interested in is not as good then im looking at a figure of between 15-20K with 25K my absolute tops. Likewise if the page that just sold is the second best page in the book and the best page comes up for sale i will pay more than 30K(with 5-20K on top depending). It is difficult with no guide and im not even sure if there is a right or wrong price with any piece but thats how i go about things. I know others who just decide how much they are willing to pay for a particular piece of artwork they just have to have and just pay it regardless of past sales.

Not sure i follow you here. How do you work out if a page is half as good or a third as good or a quarter (shrug) as good.

Tony Moore walking Dead #1 page is already at 14K.

Also, Tony Moore Zombie? Sketch is over $2K, and it's waist-up, not a full figure!

No zombie ankles?

:ohnoez:

No zombie junk?!

:ohnoez:

For those who are dithering wether to pull the trigger or not on the reserve price on the artwork they are interested in here are a few factors that i way up before deciding.

The first thing i think of is is the price a reasonable one or is it completely way over the top? Now without an OA price guide how do you determine this? Well i go to the websites that have the results of their original art auctions. Then i do 2 things to roughly gage the prices that particular artists's work has been fetching recently. First of all try and find the same character(s) that the artist has drawn and compare it with the page that is being offered and if its from the same title then even better. Then try and do a like for like comparison. If the page being offered is not as good as the one that sold previously i.e the page does not have the main character(s) on it, is not in as many panels or the images are smaller then straight away i know i am not going to pay as much as what the last one sold for.and i use this as my starting point. So if a page by that artist with the same character(s) sold for 30K last time and i think the page i am interested in is not as good then im looking at a figure of between 15-20K with 25K my absolute tops. Likewise if the page that just sold is the second best page in the book and the best page comes up for sale i will pay more than 30K(with 5-20K on top depending). It is difficult with no guide and im not even sure if there is a right or wrong price with any piece but thats how i go about things. I know others who just decide how much they are willing to pay for a particular piece of artwork they just have to have and just pay it regardless of past sales.

Not sure i follow you here. How do you work out if a page is half as good or a third as good or a quarter (shrug) as good.

I didnt actually say that but yes you can certainly use those measures. I will also try and use an example as to how i would go about it. About 2 weeks ago 2 Adams Green Lantern pages sold at Heritage for around $31K and $3.6K respectively. Now the one that sold for $31K was a great page with Green Lantern in all the panels with 2 of them having large images of GL. It was a great page which i certainly would have liked to have owned. The other page did not have one single panel of GL in it so it sold for much much less than the other page. So now you have got a rough basis on what you think the 2 Adams Green Lantern pages on Comiclink are worth. I would say both are better than the page that sold for $3.6K as at least the main characters appear but nowhere near as good as the one that sold for $31K So at this point i would say are the 2 pages half as good as the $31K page? In my opinion no. I would say about 1/5 as good which sounds strange i know and it be totally in the 'eye of the beholder' so to speak as to how good they are when you do a comparison. So in this example i would expect those 2 pages to sell for roughly between $3.7K and $6K. Others will have their own way of working out what a page is worth to them and the reason why i do it the way i do is because it stops me getting carried away and overpaying for something i want. Hope this helps.

To play devil's advocate - what observable or qualitative criteria did you use to come up with the 1/5 comparison?

There is no real criteria for me so there is nothing i can teach. I know others who look at which characters are drawn, how well they are drawn, how many panels they are in etc etc. This is probably the proper way of going about it but when i tried it it never use to work for me.. I thought i would try something different and that is to make a note of the price of a particular piece of artwork by a certain artist and when another piece comes up compare the two. So i say to myself for example 'i dont think this page is half as good as this one, in whch case how good is it. Well i think this page is 4 or 5 times better than this so i would say this page is worth x amount.' Its basically trying to develop an 'eye' for what you are looking at and its easier when you are looking at pieces from the same title. Ive been doing it for the last 3 years now and even though i am not accurate all the time i have a better success rate than any other method i have tried. Its not a sure fire method but its what i do and there cant be too many hobbies involving collectables where there is no price guide so you have to make one up yourself.

Mr. A 36,500

That's like 3x what I paid for my three first edition copies of Atlas Shrugged (two of which are in stunning condition). :doh:

I don't think Mr. A is exactly considered to be the pinnacle of Objectivism...that is a nutty price, IMO.

Mr. A 36,500

That's like 3x what I paid for my three first edition copies of Atlas Shrugged (two of which are in stunning condition). :doh:

I don't think Mr. A is exactly considered to be the pinnacle of Objectivism...that is a nutty price, IMO.

Counterpoint: I don't think the price of ditko artwork is influenced by the hierarchy of objectivist artifacts.

The simple fact is, he's known for two things

1) spiderman (and to a lesser degree dr strange, etc)

2) his beliefs

If someone is paying 30,000 bucks for a Mr A splash because they collect comic artwork and its a piece that they think says something about the man, what's wrong with that?

I can see the appeal, to an extent, and the collector I describe above either has no interest in the books or has them already.

Besides, your copies of Atlas Shrugged have like, words. :eek: Words are hard.

If someone is paying 30,000 bucks for a Mr A splash because they collect comic artwork and its a piece that they think says something about the man, what's wrong with that?

Just my 2c , but I don't think that the fact that Ditko holds these beliefs to be such a big deal that the art should merit these kinds of prices. I mean, Neal Adams is known for his geophysical theories - which are a large part of his modern identity - and has drawn pages expressing his beliefs in that regard. Are these pages supposed to be worth tens of thousands of dollars as well?

But, no, there's nothing wrong with that, nothing at all. I'm sure that I've paid prices for things I like that can't possibly be worth it to any other person, and that's OK. (thumbs u

So, someone tripped the reserve on both the Adams X-Men page and the Bolton Marada pin-up. Not sure if it was the same person or two different people, but the winner(s) both tripped the reserve and added an insurance bid on top. So, is that the real market or just what one solitary person is willing to pay? hm