• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel, where to start?

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma here.

I'm new to collecting, and I'm starting to build Silver Age runs of these comics: ASM, TOS, X-Men, DD, FF.

Is there any must have or specific runs of these comics you would absolutely recommend?

Enrico

Hey Enrico, welcome to the boards and best to you in your collecting adventures. Most people will say buy what you personally like if youre building a collection. Whether it's the cover art or a particular character or artist you like, you can't go wrong buying what you like.

With that said, buying the best keys, in the best condition you can afford first and then building your collection around those books tends to be a good strategy. By keys I mean first appearances and the big Marvel #1's(Hulk, 1, Amazing Spider-man #1, etc). For example, if Spider-man is your favorite and you have set aside $10,000 or so US to start your collection, buy the best graded copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 that you can now. Big books like that may be considerably more pricey a year or two from now while a lot of the common stuff may see little to no increase in value and you can just buy them as you go. And you can always find deals on common/minor keys. Unless you have a lot of time and are in the right place at the right time your not going to get a sweetheart deal on a big key. Also, try to stay in the fine grade range or higher if you can in common stuff.

I hope that makes some sense. And again, welcome! :) - Nik

Hi everyone,

I'm new to collecting, and I'm starting to build Silver Age runs of these comics: ASM, TOS, X-Men, DD, FF.

Is there any must have or specific runs of these comics you would absolutely recommend?

Enrico

What are your goals? Are you a reader or a speculator?

Hi everyone,

Enrico

He's a reader, and a collector (we have already chatted). But Enrico likes high grade copies (quality over quantity), so it’s your "turf" Roy! :insane:

As for the FFs… My best suggestion, Enrico, would be: visit our "Fantastic Four collecting thread": all true believers down there! :D

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1339257

Enrico

Ciao Enrico. I would focus on these as "must-haves" -- others might have different suggestions, but these are mine. I'm not as versed on X-Men or DD so I will skip those.

For ASM:

AF15, then ASM 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 28, 31, 39, 40, 42, 50, 90, 100, 101 [and, although in the Bronze Age, 121, 122, 129].

For TOS:

39, 50, 52, 57, 58, 63, 65, 75, 77

For FF:

1, 2, 4, 5, 13, 35, 45, 46, 48, 52 (3, 12, 26, 50 are really nice to have -- really all the top 52 of FF are nice to have).

In bocca al luppo!

Hi everyone,

Enrico

He's a reader, and a collector (we have already chatted). But Enrico likes high grade copies (quality over quantity), so it’s your "turf" Roy! :insane:

As for the FFs… My best suggestion, Enrico, would be: visit our "Fantastic Four collecting thread": all true believers down there! :D

Yep, I 2nd or 3rd that. Fantastic Four is a great starting point. Great stories, art and potential.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, i suppose. For me, I break everything up into 10 issue blocks (1-10, 11-20, etc.), but I guess that has as much to do with whether you are building a run or just collecting key issues.

Just have fun with it.

And I don't think you'll have many people disagree that FF is a great place to start.

First of all, thanks to all of you for answering. I'll make good use of your advice.

As Claudio said, I'm a reader who buys high grade copies. That's why I'm trying to build small runs of the characters I like the most, but since buying high grade copies is quite expensive, I'm also making a list of the most interesting runs. :) For now, I would just leave out the most expensive comics. I know they will go up in value in the future, but I'm not ready to spend thousands on just one comic. For example, I'd prefer to have the whole run of ASM from 20 to 100 before buying the first issues.

Enrico

Ciao Enrico. I would focus on these as "must-haves" -- others might have different suggestions, but these are mine. I'm not as versed on X-Men or DD so I will skip those.

For ASM:

AF15, then ASM 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 28, 31, 39, 40, 42, 50, 90, 100, 101 [and, although in the Bronze Age, 121, 122, 129].

For TOS:

For FF:

1, 2, 4, 5, 13, 35, 45, 46, 48, 52 (3, 12, 26, 50 are really nice to have -- really all the top 52 of FF are nice to have).

In bocca al luppo!

Hi :)

Thanks for the advice. You've been very kind. I'm going to write down all this issues and buy some as soon as I have some money to spend.

I'll certainly take a look at the thread during these days. Many thanks as always, Claudio.

Check the last pages first… The thread started years ago. But a lot of nice and constructive, loving chatting happened down there. :cloud9:

For ASM:

For TOS:

For FF:

In bocca al luppo!

Hi :)

Thanks for the advice. You've been very kind. I'm going to write down all this issues and buy some as soon as I have some money to spend.

If you're considering the Fantastic Four and prefer high grades, I'd recommend starting with FF #51. It's a great story and more affordable than the key issues listed.

any issue of amazing spider-man 1-20 is a great book imo. 31-33 and 39-40 are classics also.

FF1-12 are some of my personal favorites. 45-60 are some of the finest comics ever made as well.

If you are looking for something more affordable strange tales 126-146 feature all time classic doctor strange stories.

I can't really recommend silver age x-men for reading quality outside of issues 56-65 which is some of neal adams/ roy thomas finest work.

I'll certainly take a look at the thread during these days. Many thanks as always, Claudio.

Welcome to the boards Enrico

There's a lot of great SA books out there. Check out the SA Fantastic Four thread and check out some of the other threads in the SA forum. I'm sure something will catch your eye and your wallet heart.

Fantastic Four between 39 and 80 are wonderful and mostly affordable except for important first appearances. You can't go wrong with SA Spideys, they're all good and well written . Also consider Avengers, quite affordable except for keys and a great read.,

My 2cents...

the FF run of 70-79 I found/find quite enjoyable. The cover art alone from 72-75 and 79 are stand outs for me. Kirby's art is stellar and the stories are great. You should be able to find readable and high grade copies at fair prices. Some other FF favs of mine are 45-55. Actually, I'd say most of the first 100 issues are great.

DD is hot right now b/c of the TV show, a couple of years ago would have been the time to pick up those books. In comparison to early FF and Spidey's, DD is still affordable to get in to, though I kick myself for not getting in before news of the Netflix show.

Segue to the X-men. This title is still affordable due to the whole "mutant" status and red tape involved with the movies. I got in years ago and have a fairly solid run of the first 66 issues, though I'm missing some issues. As far as readability, starting with 67 through 93 the title ran reprints of the first issues.

TOS I know there's some keys in that title, but I'd say 39 is most important, with the first appearance of 'Ol Shellhead.

Last but not least...Spidey. Lots and lots of Spidey fans out there. I joined the ball game late on Spidey's and am with a lot of other fans that are like Ralphie and friends looking into the Higbee's window day-dreaming about their most wanted Christmas present. Though rather than my dream item being an Official Red Ryder 200 shot range model air rifle, I'm glaring at the AF15 club. (Sorry, I'm using "A Christmas Story" movie as an analogy)This is just an expensive title to get into, especially high grade.

Good luck with your quest and WTTB! Excelsior!

Find the books with the covers you like and that you can afford. I personally wouldn't tell you to chase keys right off the bat. The hobby doesn't have to be that expensive to enjoy. :preach:

I believe we were collecting comics, not covers.

Good for you. Keep chasing those keys!