• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

So CBCS doesn't have a different label color for reso books? Isn't that a little bit misleading? Don't get me wrong, I'm a CGC guy and always will be, but I thought CBCS was pretty good too? (shrug)

Jerome

No, not really. It actually falls in line with Steve B's thoughts when he was top dog at CGC. He was never a fan of the purple label.

I haven't had any issues with CBCS thus far. I find their grading to be pretty much in line with CGC. CGC is (and probably always will be) the King. CBCS is the first viable alternative.

Some nice work is being done. Would think that a 9.8 restored is not going to be a rare thing. There is a hulk 9.8 #1 in next comic connect auction , probably the same restoring company. I mean come on these books are like reprints. Obviously whoever is doing it is getting good results from other grading company. I think it does go to credibility , it should be a manufactured reprint using original pieces category. Any one paying huge money for these has cash to burn...

This is an interesting thought for a category.

I wonder how much of the original book does someone need to start with before it is just considered a reprint. I know I own several pages from an Action Comics #1. Could I just go to these guys and have them MAKE the rest of the book and say I have an Action #1 (and a 9.6 or 9.8 at that)? That seems strange and wrong to me.

I think if these books are going to be sold, it would be best to sell them with before and after photos (so buyers know exactly how much work was done and how much of their treasure is original).

Just my 2 cents.

As for me. I am hoping to find a LOW grade Action #1. I have no desire to restore it, just own it. If one comes along that is heavily restored and the price is right, I will likely buy it.. That being said, I don't want a complete reprint of an Action #1 that someone creates around an original staple.

So CBCS doesn't have a different label color for reso books? Isn't that a little bit misleading? Don't get me wrong, I'm a CGC guy and always will be, but I thought CBCS was pretty good too? (shrug)

Jerome

No, not really. It actually falls in line with Steve B's thoughts when he was top dog at CGC. He was never a fan of the purple label.

I haven't had any issues with CBCS thus far. I find their grading to be pretty much in line with CGC. CGC is (and probably always will be) the King. CBCS is the first viable alternative.

In before this thread gets locked (IBL)! Thanks, me!! :insane:

Yes you nailed it, a manufactured reprint using original pieces best describes this comic.

Hardly any different than an uncirculated 1916 mercury dime that someone has altered by adding the D mintmark.

.... seller IGB would probably benefit by including before and after shots of the books..... otherwise people will think the worst. Honestly, the fact that they don't makes me wonder as well..... but without a before shot, calling the item a glorified reprint may be inaccurate as well. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Some nice work is being done. Would think that a 9.8 restored is not going to be a rare thing. There is a hulk 9.8 #1 in next comic connect auction , probably the same restoring company. I mean come on these books are like reprints. Obviously whoever is doing it is getting good results from other grading company. I think it does go to credibility , it should be a manufactured reprint using original pieces category. Any one paying huge money for these has cash to burn...

This is an interesting thought for a category.

I wonder how much of the original book does someone need to start with before it is just considered a reprint. I know I own several pages from an Action Comics #1. Could I just go to these guys and have them MAKE the rest of the book and say I have an Action #1 (and a 9.6 or 9.8 at that)? That seems strange and wrong to me.

I think if these books are going to be sold, it would be best to sell them with before and after photos (so buyers know exactly how much work was done and how much of their treasure is original).

Just my 2 cents.

As for me. I am hoping to find a LOW grade Action #1. I have no desire to restore it, just own it. If one comes along that is heavily restored and the price is right, I will likely buy it.. That being said, I don't want a complete reprint of an Action #1 that someone creates around an original staple.

I've seen this discussed A LOT in the car auction environment too. There's a survivor, tribute, resto-mod, preserved and clone. They all have different meanings of how much restoration was done (if any) and just as important WHY it was done. Were pieces added to preserve and important book? Or was it done to sneak it by as a high-grade (un-slabbed) book? Also just like in comics, it matters who did the restoration and how well it was done...

There are 3-4 things that could seriously affect the value of this book and it all has to do with it's documentation:

1. It was originally a "survivor" mid-grade book that the owner took to be professionally restored. The owner spent $1000s ($100/hr usually) having a professional restoring the book to near-perfection and took pictures and kept documentation of the process. Hopefully receipts too. This would command the most money IMHO.

2. It was already amateurly restored to the 8.0-9.2 range. Picked up "cheap" (2-8k) at auction and professionally restored from there. Not worth as much since all the info on the original condition is lost, unless the new owner was passed on documentation from the original owner. It could have been a G-, F+, VF, or a rag, who knows?

3. It was a rag (0.5 / incomplete or worse) and very little of this book that remains is original. It was restored to the point where it's for all intent and purposes a clone.

4. It was a CGC restored 9.2 that was simply resubmitted to CBCS and graded a 9.8. This would command the least dollar relative to it's original sale IMHO. It would also be downright misrepresentation/fraud.

There's really no way to tell for sure except to contact the person who did the original restoration if the book doesn't come with any additional documentation explaining the original condition and what was done in detail. For example, I think it would matter if no restoration was done to the inside as opposed to having married, or rebuilt pages from another book.

Their Tec 33 9.4 was originally a CGC 6.0 MP

I have a hard time believing that ALL their books are as such.

Imho: id rather have the 6.0 mod.

it would also be easier to move.

+1 million

The only place it'd move would be into my collection.

Their Tec 33 9.4 was originally a CGC 6.0 MP

I have a hard time believing that ALL their books are as such.

Imho: id rather have the 6.0 mod.

it would also be easier to move.

+1 million

The only place it'd move would be into my collection.

Wow, that's quite a difference. Is it know whether the Tec was touched up in between grading?

I don`t get all the disdain here. As far as I`m concerned, all restoration of comics, unless it`s solely for preservation purposes, is manufacturing.

You`re taking an imperfect comic and manufacturing a new grade by artificially making it look better than it really is. It`s just a question of degree.

I don`t get all the disdain here. As far as I`m concerned, all restoration of comics, unless it`s solely for preservation purposes, is manufacturing.

You`re taking an imperfect comic and manufacturing a new grade by artificially making it look better than it really is. It`s just a question of degree.

Also take into consideration the large difference in grading between CBCS/PGX and CGC when it comes to restored comics (or unrestored for that matter).

Probably too much restoration. Most posters here avoid restored books like the plague and that's with very little work done.

And definition, which this type of artificial improvement does stretch somewhat.

Depends how you look at it and how it's done. Taking a marker to a comic and coloring it in? Not professional restoration, arguably not even restoration. Cleaning or re-glossing is restoration. Adding a missing page from the same comic with the same page quality, is restoration. Adding significantly to a book with new materials I consider repairing. There's a world of difference between professional and amateur as well. If it can't be reversed, like trimming, then I think it's also considered repairing. Honestly, it's more up to the buyer than anyone else what that's all worth. Some buyers will jump all over a comic with only 1 trimmed edge, but then ignore a comic that has 2 or more edges trimmed. Some buyers like me won't even bid on a trimmed comic.