• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

That's not true what was said above about CBCS books not selling for the same as CGC. It depends on the book.

I've seen dealers pricing CGC and CBCS books with the same grade...the same price. And, I've seen keys sell on other sites that are in-line with or above CGC sales.

A lot of CBCS non keys seem to go for less than CGC values for some reason.

I don't think a CBCS graded Showcase 4 (blue label unrestored) would be any less than a CGC blue label.

+1

The price of a book has so many factors as we've discussed ad nauseum.

It will be nice once someone publishes some data so we can draw real conclusions instead of the endless speculation, emotionally-charged banter, and anecdotal assertions.

:applause:

That's not true what was said above about CBCS books not selling for the same as CGC. It depends on the book.

I've seen dealers pricing CGC and CBCS books with the same grade...the same price. And, I've seen keys sell on other sites that are in-line with or above CGC sales.

A lot of CBCS non keys seem to go for less than CGC values for some reason.

I don't think a CBCS graded Showcase 4 (blue label unrestored) would be any less than a CGC blue label.

Someone has done an analysis and found that CBCS underperforms CGC 10-25%.

That's consistent with other anecdotal reports as well as my own observations.

-J.

Those findings are being generous. CBCS books, in higher grades, seem somewhat soft. I would think that anyone buying one would, given the funds, crack and resub to CGC for a better assessment.

There are lots of CBCS books out there and I haven't seen too many that compel to bid as if they are CGC.

I have one question.......... Is painting over or in place of ORIGINAL ART in a way that cant be removed considered restoration or recreation?

As far as I know, pretty well all of the restored books designated as Extensive Professional (EP) Restored would involved some degree of recreated artwork. This traditional extensive form of restoration has been going on for decades, with these books often refer to as frankenbooks in today's CGC marketplace and generally sells for a huge discount to their unrestored counterparts.

The issue with these new extra extensively restored books with work done by the Meyers is that it is done (or possibly overdone) in a fashion where it is no longer possible to tell where the original ends and where the restored part begins. With the traditional EP restored books, I guess the work is not as "evolved", shall we say, and it is much more obvious what is original from what has been restored on the book.

Get your airbrushes going kids , there's gold in them hills.

Strongly doubt that there is much real gold out there in them hills, probably more like fool's gold from my point of view. lol:tonofbricks:

Based upon sales results so far for these "extra" EP restored books, they seem to sell for an even lower percentage to their unrestored counterparts as compared to the traditional EP restored books. In addition, it should also be pointed out that third party customers are not likely to make much money (if any at all) reselling these books if they have to pay full value for the cost of the restoration, as the Meyers are apparently spending a ton of hours on these books. And even up to 100 hours or more in order to try to get them "just right", according to an earlier post in the GA forum from them.

I find your summary off a little. It could be taken the other way as well. Matt told them what they did not want to hear so they went somewhere else.

"I know that one of the concerns is that the restoration is apparently being done so well that they (i.e. Graders and even restoration detection experts) cannot tell where the original ends and the restoration begins. I believe one of the other board members call it a case of perfect restoration and wonder why this would be an issue as should this not be the goal of restoration. My own personal concern was that the Meyers might have been over painting or applying too much gloss since a couple of their books just appear to be too "shiny" for my visual taste. But who am I to say since I am no restoration expert."

Paul;

Have you not been spending anytime in the GA forum when this topic was being discussed a couple of months ago?

My so-called "summary" is actually based directly upon posts made by Matt Nelson himself in the GA thread where this whole thing was being discussed. :gossip:

Now, it's quite possible what you are saying might possibly be true, but that was not my interpretation from reading Matt's posts on this topic. And it was most certainly not my interpretation from reading all of the Meyers' posts on this subject matter.

But who really knows in this competitive money driven world. (shrug)

I find your summary off a little. It could be taken the other way as well. Matt told them what they did not want to hear so they went somewhere else.

"I know that one of the concerns is that the restoration is apparently being done so well that they (i.e. Graders and even restoration detection experts) cannot tell where the original ends and the restoration begins. I believe one of the other board members call it a case of perfect restoration and wonder why this would be an issue as should this not be the goal of restoration. My own personal concern was that the Meyers might have been over painting or applying too much gloss since a couple of their books just appear to be too "shiny" for my visual taste. But who am I to say since I am no restoration expert."

Paul;

Have you not been spending anytime in the GA forum when this topic was being discussed a couple of months ago?

My so-called "summary" is actually based directly upon posts made by Matt Nelson himself in the GA thread where this whole thing was being discussed. :gossip:

Now, it's quite possible what you are saying might possibly be true, but that was not my interpretation from reading Matt's posts on this topic. And it was most certainly not my interpretation from reading all of the Meyers' posts on this subject matter.

But who really knows in this competitive money driven world. (shrug)

I did read the entire GA thread including Matt's comments. either way no big deal. It just seems like compared to the traditional "frankenbook" these are more like a total re-paint and gloss. thanks for the response.

I'm still sticking with 85k...

Hate to say it but not a chance. The Blue 7.5 is only at 30k currently and will likely not hit 85k.

85k for sure not but closer to 65-70k

I think that would still be a good price for that book. But bidders have spoken, CBCS never goes for what it's CGC equivalent would go for. To be honest, I'd be more excited about a CGC 9.8 resto than this...

So far the camps seem to be in the CBCS 9.8 = 9.0-9.2 unrestored value vs. CBCS 9.8 = CGC VGish value.

Are you basing this on any actual data? And if so, can you tell me where you got that data? I've been trying to find a site that tracks CBCS sales in order to do this comparison but have had no luck.

Basing this on responses in this thread, not from any data.

Comic connect had an Action 23 in CBCS 9.8 at the Big Apple Con also restored by the same group. I looked the book over and the work was VERY well done. I did not see any major areas of color touch. It also didn't appear that the color touch was thick or amaturish in the way it was applied. It should be interesting to see what these books go for.

Comic connect had an Action 23 in CBCS 9.8 at the Big Apple Con also restored by the same group. I looked the book over and the work was VERY well done. I did not see any major areas of color touch. It also didn't appear that the color touch was thick or amaturish in the way it was applied. It should be interesting to see what these books go for.

Do you recall what this went for?

Only 1 AC23, same book.

The NY boys are behind these IGB recreations, just another opportunity for them to go into their snake-oil routine:

"Step right up ladies and gentlemen, these IGB books are better than the originals!"

snake-oil.jpg

Only 1 AC23, same book.

I already had that in my watch list... doh!