• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL I DO IS WIN! Post your eBay wins here
9 9

1,051 posts in this topic

I thought Whitman was Road Runner etc
There were Marvels distributed by Whitman in 3 packs. They are most commonly referred to as Whitmans, but this is controversial as some people insist they were direct versions available at the early LCS. Whatever they are, the early books are very hard to find in high grade.

I thought Whitman was Road Runner etc
There were Marvels distributed by Whitman in 3 packs. They are most commonly referred to as Whitmans, but this is controversial as some people insist they were direct versions available at the early LCS. Whatever they are, the early books are very hard to find in high grade.

I remember the Whitman three-to-a-bags being sold at Kmart and other mass retailers. The value proposition was that you were buying three comics for less than their total cover price. I think some enterprising LCS owners would buy these at Kmart, open them up and sell them for full cover (or in the case of Star Wars, marked up).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331835910505?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had a copy awhile ago of the first print (not limited ed) and it sold on Amazon for 80.

So now I sniped at 75.00 and was shocked no one bid on it :o

Its actually much better looking than in the listing and the sig/mini sketch is cute too

3 or so auctions I thought were under the radar (key issues not mentioned in title or main picture) and bid on went for huge sums after all.

And they weren't even in good condition.

So then I put up a lot of good comics at auction; sold at a very good price...but still no payment.

Random question...do most of you use some kind of sniping program for Ebay auctions? Does it work well for you? I got hamstrung this week on a lot I really wanted. I looked up the winner's bidding history and saw he/she had 26 bids on 26 different lots...so I'm assuming that's a sniper's profile.

I fully admit I should have set my bid higher, but for whatever reason I tend to not bid that way on Ebay. Weird, I think. Doesn't help that the auction ended at 11pm my time and I have a six month old...so, you parents may know how some of those nights go.

Random question...do most of you use some kind of sniping program for Ebay auctions? Does it work well for you? I got hamstrung this week on a lot I really wanted. I looked up the winner's bidding history and saw he/she had 26 bids on 26 different lots...so I'm assuming that's a sniper's profile.

I fully admit I should have set my bid higher, but for whatever reason I tend to not bid that way on Ebay. Weird, I think. Doesn't help that the auction ended at 11pm my time and I have a six month old...so, you parents may know how some of those nights go.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to publicly share one's 'snipe technique' on a forum with people who are likely to be bidding on similar type things. Even moreso when some of those snipers actually make a living (or a decent percentage thereof) buying and selling comics they (hopefully) get for cheap. Though I do hope someone pm's you with some info. I actually would, I just don't have any, I just set a reminder on my phone like 3 minutes before the auction ends then try to 'take care of it' manually.

i do it manual, sometimes I want to double check exactly what i'm buying

the best thing to remember is that there is always another one around the corner

except my auctions, those are unique and you should bid to the max

the best thing to remember is that there is always another one around the corner

pfftt eBay NOOB

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a lot of incentive to publicly share one's 'snipe technique' on a forum with people who are likely to be bidding on similar type things. Even moreso when some of those snipers actually make a living (or a decent percentage thereof) buying and selling comics they (hopefully) get for cheap. Though I do hope someone pm's you with some info. I actually would, I just don't have any, I just set a reminder on my phone like 3 minutes before the auction ends then try to 'take care of it' manually.

Good point. My inquiry was from the perspective of an average collector so I certainly respect (and wouldn't want anyone to divulge) trade secrets for those who live and work this stuff. I did google for some sniping programs, but not sure I want to get into that and wondered how it worked for folks on this forum. No harm intended on my part.

Another good point. I'm a casual collector and participant on this forum, but I have seen several books sold here or online come up again days or weeks later. In fact, just this week I saw a book sell for $40 less than what the reseller purchased it for, which was interesting. Anyway, hopefully whoever purchased this book will sell in the future and set an auction end time that's friendlier to new parents.

Cheers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172176652934

:banana:

The other dude tried to snipe me (tsk)

Jerome

I'm not sure you get the point of the thread. I think its more about getting a good deal well below market value, as opposed to showing that you can spend MORE than the last four completed sales. Although to be fair, I would argue that showing you can spend MORE money is actually MORE impressive. So....congrats on having money. But I don't think this is quite the right thread for that, that's reserved for every other facet of life.

I usually do my Max bid 7 sec before ending then confirm 1-2 sec before. I'd say I have a pretty good win record with satisfying prices. I'm rarely outbid by a penny, fifty cents or dollar. If I'm still in the auction at 3 seconds left, it's probably going to be mine. :sumo:

Most of my tap outs happen an hour or half hour before ending. That's usually for books I'm not sure the value of. I have a price in mind then the bids soar in $50 to $100 increments, and I take a K.O.

Don't sweat a loss though, there will always be another chance. (thumbs u