• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

The other two, especially the #29, were in really rough shape. I knew could buy them cheaper online, but I was just trying to support the shop. I definitely would've gone back in the future for more books.

Well that one special shop will show up one day. I myself have had to drag myself through the detritus of local shops before finding a decent one. Then I moved lol

But they are out there

Forget comic shops. Wait for a convention if you just love buying books in person. Comic shops are so 20th century and best left there.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are plenty of fine shops out there whose owners actually know what they're doing

Name 512

This is a joke by the way. You know, for people with no sense of humor

Am I on trial here?

J'accuse

The other two, especially the #29, were in really rough shape. I knew could buy them cheaper online, but I was just trying to support the shop. I definitely would've gone back in the future for more books.

Well that one special shop will show up one day. I myself have had to drag myself through the detritus of local shops before finding a decent one. Then I moved lol

But they are out there

lol

I'll keep my hopes up!

Seems to me that his original asking price of $54 total wasn't horrible--especially from a brick-and-mortar retail store these days!--for a low grade Ditko Spidey, a VG/Fine later SA Spidey, and a book that you said you had never seen in hand, but only on eBay (which would of course entail shipping charges).

I agree that comic buyers love to haggle, but this wasn't a convention or a yard sale/flea market, and you were a new customer, not a regular. If they were books you really wanted (i.e., not just to re-sell), is leaving empty handed or with just a single book really preferable to taking them all for just $9 more than the figure you had in mind?

Yes, this owner's behavior was odd. But in general, I think it's good method when finding a new store--with (a) vintage stock that's in your wheelhouse as a collector; and (b) prices that aren't too far off the beam--to pay the asking price on your first few visits, and especially if you're making relatively small purchases (say, > $100).

Then, rather than being dismissed as yet another nouveau wheeler-dealer, you stand a better chance of developing a relationship with the owner, and maybe getting deeper discounts on better stuff further on down the line...

I have a local comic shop that refuses to put prices on books. The owner is nice and seems to love to give huge bulk discounts and generally will say $300 for a stack of 30 books regardless of what is in the stack. He hired a new guy that loves to look up books online which I hate since it defeats the purpose of me spending a hour flipping thru the long boxes. I did bring a stack of 20 books up to the counter last time and told the new guy I had 5 minutes to spare before I had to either check out or leave which prompted the new guy to ditch the online search except for a couple books.

Seems to me that his original asking price of $54 total wasn't horrible--especially from a brick-and-mortar retail store these days!--for a low grade Ditko Spidey, a VG/Fine later SA Spidey, and a book that you said you had never seen in hand, but only on eBay (which would of course entail shipping charges).

I agree that comic buyers love to haggle, but this wasn't a convention or a yard sale/flea market, and you were a new customer, not a regular. If they were books you really wanted (i.e., not just to re-sell), is leaving empty handed or with just a single book really preferable to taking them all for just $9 more than the figure you had in mind?

Yes, this owner's behavior was odd. But in general, I think it's good method when finding a new store--with (a) vintage stock that's in your wheelhouse as a collector; and (b) prices that aren't too far off the beam--to pay the asking price on your first few visits, and especially if you're making relatively small purchases (say, > $100).

Then, rather than being dismissed as yet another nouveau wheeler-dealer, you stand a better chance of developing a relationship with the owner, and maybe getting deeper discounts on better stuff further on down the line...

It isn't the price. It is the dismissive non-engaging way the shop owner dealt with a potential new customer: he seemed to have better things to do.

If the owner takes a moment to simply justify the full asking price ( say the Ross book is quite rare/ hard to find ), since it is only $9 more than I had hoped to spend as a buyer I likely buy them all at his full asking.

This thread makes me appreciate my favorite LCSs all the more. IMO, return-business (i.e. "volume") is what a good LCS should strive for. There are a few LCSs that I will NOT do business with anymore because of similar owner-shenanigans.

:cool:

JJ, I see your point of view. But even with a discount, I could've gotten the books cheaper including shipping.

If he would've just said all of them were full price, I would've been disappointed, but put two back. The only reason I started the thread was because of his response to discount two older ones but then want full price for each one if I bought three. Usually when I buy books, the more I buy, the lower the price - at least in my experience. It just seemed odd so I wanted other people's opinions.

But they are out there

It seems like you could just call a bunch of shops, ask for the owner, and see if he knows the word "detritus". If he does, go visit his shop.

It isn't the price. It is the dismissive non-engaging way the shop owner dealt with a potential new customer: he seemed to have better things to do.

If the owner takes a moment to simply justify the full asking price ( say the Ross book is quite rare/ hard to find ), since it is only $9 more than I had hoped to spend as a buyer I likely buy them all at his full asking.

I agree, the people are in the business of SELLING COMICS, so you'd think that that would be the priority of the people there when customers are there. Whether its a friendly word, or a brief explanation, or just a touch of small talk (not too much) and a smile to let the customer know their business is valued. They're not selling milk and eggs or other life staples or some super unique hipster food you can't get anywhere else, comics are generally luxury items and (most) customers will probably live their lives fine if they don't buy from the local comic book shops, but the owners and employees in theory should have a real vested interest in the prosperity of the shop. And that's simply not always the case, although admittedly there are some people for whom their comic enthusiasm is not matched by their social and business acumen, or so I've heard.

Forget comic shops. Wait for a convention if you just love buying books in person. Comic shops are so 20th century and best left there.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are plenty of fine shops out there whose owners actually know what they're doing

:hi:

I haven't had time to visit shops in San Diego, though I cant say it's something I've planned to do, but when I'm in Florida I don't even bother anymore.

There's a really good shop in San Diego in the SDSU college area, over on El Cajon Blvd. and around 57th Street.

This is fun. Im the owner of the shop in question. Its AngryComics in Faeyetteville, NC

Before i begin my responses......did anyone look up an ASM 121 marvel legends variant on ebay before they blasted my ?

:)

I have a local comic shop that refuses to put prices on books. The owner is nice and seems to love to give huge bulk discounts and generally will say $300 for a stack of 30 books regardless of what is in the stack. He hired a new guy that loves to look up books online which I hate since it defeats the purpose of me spending a hour flipping thru the long boxes. I did bring a stack of 20 books up to the counter last time and told the new guy I had 5 minutes to spare before I had to either check out or leave which prompted the new guy to ditch the online search except for a couple books.

You hit my top two comic-buying pet peeves.

This is fun. Im the owner of the shop in question. Its AngryComics in Faeyetteville, NC

Before i begin my responses......did anyone look up an ASM 121 marvel legends variant on ebay before they blasted my ?

Lighting up my torches. :whee:

I've blasted no asses here, :blush: but is this the comic in question:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=spiderman+121+legends&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspiderman+121+marvel+legends.TRS0&_nkw=spiderman+121+marvel+legends&_sacat=1

So, is about $20 the correct answer?

(shrug)