• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

The other two, especially the #29, were in really rough shape. I knew could buy them cheaper online, but I was just trying to support the shop. I definitely would've gone back in the future for more books.

Well that one special shop will show up one day. I myself have had to drag myself through the detritus of local shops before finding a decent one. Then I moved lol

But they are out there

It seems like you could just call a bunch of shops, ask for the owner, and see if he knows the word "detritus". If he does, go visit his shop.

No. We'd be too much alike and that would annoy me lol

I can vouch that Green can come across as a jerk. But he isn't beyond reason and is willing to dialogue with you.

So yeah, going green here too. Looks like there is more to the story

On a related note, do LCS owners get upset when customers look up the price of books they're selling on Ebay and use that to help them decide if they want to buy it or not?

hm

I would certainly hope not. And I'm sure they expect it.

Yeah, and I've seen LCS owners look up unmarked books when I bring them to the counter and so I expect it too.

....She said she could probably do $50 but needed to talk to the owner. He was a younger looking guy (35 or so), who then proceeded to look up prices on his phone in front of me. I stood there and waited for about five minutes. He said he would sell me the #29 and #72 for $35 and the Alex Ross for full price. I had in mind to pay $45 based on the condition of the older books so we were only off $2. He walked away and I looked the books over one more time. I asked the woman if that would be $47 total (the $35 plus the $12). Then the guy looks over from about ten feet away and tells me no. His offer was $35 for the older books or FULL PRICE FOR ALL THREE if I bought the Alex Ross cover! I literally said that made no sense to me. I was staying calm, but getting pretty mad inside. He didn't respond, so I put the two older books back and just bought the Ross for $12. What in the world was he doing? Has anybody ever experienced something like that or know his reasoning?....

Maybe he had just taken a marijuana. hm

I understand looking up prices (although I didn't), but he already had a set price on the book. I could see if it was unmarked, but it seemed weird to me.

I get looking them up. If he realized he has them way underpriced he isn't going to go down further. Or if he sees he has them way overpriced, then maybe he is willing to budge more.

Anyway, the whole thing seems weird. Why alienate someone looking to spend money on dust collecting back issues? Don't you want those people coming back? And why did you buy the $12 book? At that point I just leave.

He isn't postponing a $50 sale Shad...he might sell those books, true, but what he is losing is likely multiple $50 sales per year, year after year, to this lost customer who clearly doesn't mind paying around retail for some beat up books. If my new main shop (for the last 11 years) had been a-holes the first time I came in, like when I put together a huge stack of dollar books the first time I came in and told me I was limited to 10 or something like that, they would have then lost a guy who has likely spent $1000-$2000 a year there, year after year, for the last decade. not going to break their business, sure, but getting rid of a few long boxes of dollar books per year to one customer is convenient. plus I buy some new books now and then, toys, pokeman, and t-shirts for my kids, some sports cards and regular priced back issues where I don't whine for much of a discount.

Well, shops getting busy, so i cant really say everything i want.

The short version: I was super busy. I was running a pokemon tournament while buying a magic collection while a customer with another collection was waiting patiently. I was called over for a customer whom ive never seen asking for a discount on books in mylar.

An aside:

Heres a policy i have : If i have a price on a book, you can buy the book at that price. If an employee or i misprice a book thats on us. If a book jumps and i dont catch it.... well i just didnt catch that one. I will never, ever change a marked price at the register.

In the case of these 3 books, i looked them up to see if i had them overpriced or if i could accommodate the discount that was being asked for. The 2 SA spideys were on point. With the discount they would have been the cheapest available copies i could find. However the 121 variant (that i had $12 on) only had 3 listings i could find. $60(VG) $99 and $125.

So after doing a little ebay research himself, the OP quickly bought the book. The fact the OP would start a thread in attempt to vilify me is funny since he still got an insane deal. Cant please everyone!

SO, i was fine discounting the two SA books but i wasnt willing to throw in the waaaay underpriced book and give a discount.

I find the idea of haggling in a shop to be a little weird. More than a little actually.

At a show though, different story. Haggling is not at all unusual. Almost expected

Rounding down a little I don't think is a problem. Like here the books added up to $54, "can we do $50" doesn't seem weird. And the bigger the purchase, the more wiggle room, particularly at a small shop.

I wouldn't do it for $50 at Midtown comics where everyone is an employee.

I find it weirder and more unpleasant when I go to my LCS and ask for new variant covers, and the store owner tells me they are in the back room. And then reminds me that store policy requires that I have to take off my shirt before I go back there.

Though I admit It was much weirder when they had the "no pants" policy.

-Terry

This is fun. Im the owner of the shop in question. Its AngryComics in Faeyetteville, NC

Before i begin my responses......did anyone look up an ASM 121 marvel legends variant on ebay before they blasted my ?

:)

I've blasted no asses here, :blush: but is this the comic in question:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=spiderman+121+legends&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspiderman+121+marvel+legends.TRS0&_nkw=spiderman+121+marvel+legends&_sacat=1

So, is about $20 the correct answer?

(shrug)

When im selling comics, i focus more on available copies for sale more than completed sales. Completed sales are a good resource that i do use, but im not selling books in the past.

Seems like a logical enough explanation Green - and you were busy, so I recognize it's hard to juggle....but had you explained all of what you told us at that time and to the OP, how might the outcome have been different.

:foryou:

This is fun. Im the owner of the shop in question. Its AngryComics in Faeyetteville, NC

Before i begin my responses......did anyone look up an ASM 121 marvel legends variant on ebay before they blasted my ?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=spiderman+121+legends&_sop=16&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xspiderman+121+marvel+legends.TRS0&_nkw=spiderman+121+marvel+legends&_sacat=1

(shrug)

When im selling comics, i focus more on available copies for sale more than completed sales. Completed sales are a good resource that i do use, but im not selling books in the past.

Please tell me this is not an excuse for disregarding actual sales data just because the outcome was too low because that's what it sounds like

Seems like a logical enough explanation Green - and you were busy, so I recognize it's hard to juggle....but had you explained all of what you told us at that time and to the OP, how might the outcome have been different.

:foryou:

Very true sir. I will admit i was conflicted and rushed. I didnt want to sell the 121 variant so cheap but i wasnt willing to just pull it away either. (shrug) I made a quick decision and apparently pissed off the OP. :sorry:

(shrug)

hm

(shrug)

Please tell me this is not an excuse for disregarding actual sales data just because the outcome was too low.

Absolutely not. Sales data is important but certainly not the end of the story. Books fluctuate quickly. I try to be competitive to what others are selling books for currently.

The short version: I was super busy. I was running a pokemon tournament while buying a magic collection while a customer with another collection was waiting patiently. I was called over for a customer whom ive never seen asking for a discount on books in mylar.

An aside:

Heres a policy i have : If i have a price on a book, you can buy the book at that price. If an employee or i misprice a book thats on us. If a book jumps and i dont catch it.... well i just didnt catch that one. I will never, ever change a marked price at the register.

In the case of these 3 books, i looked them up to see if i had them overpriced or if i could accommodate the discount that was being asked for. The 2 SA spideys were on point. With the discount they would have been the cheapest available copies i could find. However the 121 variant (that i had $12 on) only had 3 listings i could find. $60(VG) $99 and $125.

So after doing a little ebay research himself, the OP quickly bought the book. The fact the OP would start a thread in attempt to vilify me is funny since he still got an insane deal. Cant please everyone!

SO, i was fine discounting the two SA books but i wasn't willing to throw in the waaaay underpriced book and give a discount.

This is better than what many shops seem to do: yank the book when they realize they have underpriced it. Explaining where you were coming from probably would have alleviated the whole thing, but I understand if you're distracted and what not.

Weren't/aren't you a contractor? Wasn't I trying to get you to renovate my basement when the economy went into the krapper? :-) Are you doing that and the comic shop? Have you always done the comic shop?

(shrug)

Please tell me this is not an excuse for disregarding actual sales data just because the outcome was too low.

Absolutely not. Sales data is important but certainly not the end of the story. Books fluctuate quickly. I try to be competitive to what others are selling books for currently.

Fair enough.

The only problem with "what others are selling books for currently" is that it only captures asking price. Are the books actually selling at those prices? That's the proof in the pudding. Let's face it, we've all seen wildly over priced stuff on ebay that just sits, and sits, and sits.

(shrug)

Why does anyone need an excuse to disregard actual sales data?

I'm not going to pay stupid money because someone else did and I wouldn't expect a seller to be obligated by history either.

You can buy the comic boxed with the toy for $22

I have one in the box still and I'd consider $12 bucks worth it to buy a dupe of the book, it's a good deal - it's not waaay under priced though.

An aside:

SO, i was fine discounting the two SA books but i wasn't willing to throw in the waaaay underpriced book and give a discount.

This is better than what many shops seem to do: yank the book when they realize they have underpriced it. Explaining where you were coming from probably would have alleviated the whole thing, but I understand if you're distracted and what not.

Weren't/aren't you a contractor? Wasn't I trying to get you to renovate my basement when the economy went into the krapper? :-) Are you doing that and the comic shop? Have you always done the comic shop?

I had been dealing comics on a very small scale since i sold my first business in 2001. Thats when i became a contractor and went into business with my father. I started the shop on the side 4 years ago and it became full time in November 2014.

(shrug)

Why does anyone need an excuse to disregard actual sales data?

I'm not going to pay stupid money because someone else did and I wouldn't expect a seller to be obligated by history either.

You can buy the comic boxed with the toy for $22

I have one in the box still and I'd consider $12 bucks worth it to buy a dupe of the book, it's a good deal - it's not waaay under priced though.

plus 18 shipping, so $40 all in.