• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird/Unpleasant Comic Shop Experience

182 posts in this topic

On a related note, do LCS owners get upset when customers look up the price of books they're selling on Ebay and use that to help them decide if they want to buy it or not?

hm

I would certainly hope not. And I'm sure they expect it.

Yeah, and I've seen LCS owners look up unmarked books when I bring them to the counter and so I expect it too.

....She said she could probably do $50 but needed to talk to the owner. He was a younger looking guy (35 or so), who then proceeded to look up prices on his phone in front of me. I stood there and waited for about five minutes. He said he would sell me the #29 and #72 for $35 and the Alex Ross for full price. I had in mind to pay $45 based on the condition of the older books so we were only off $2. He walked away and I looked the books over one more time. I asked the woman if that would be $47 total (the $35 plus the $12). Then the guy looks over from about ten feet away and tells me no. His offer was $35 for the older books or FULL PRICE FOR ALL THREE if I bought the Alex Ross cover! I literally said that made no sense to me. I was staying calm, but getting pretty mad inside. He didn't respond, so I put the two older books back and just bought the Ross for $12. What in the world was he doing? Has anybody ever experienced something like that or know his reasoning?....

Maybe he had just taken a marijuana. hm

I understand looking up prices (although I didn't), but he already had a set price on the book. I could see if it was unmarked, but it seemed weird to me.

you could have gotten the deal for 47 still-- pay for the older ones first at $35. Sale done - receipt in hand.

Then go -- hmm-- think I'll take this book after all (Ross for $12). Pay for it without making a big fuss.

The guy was a dork about it but he did leave you with a way to work around his illogical BS.

This occurred to me, but if he was being that weird about it, I highly doubt he would've let this go by without saying something. lol

I don't see any completed auctions on eBay. But essentially, he lost a $50 sale for $12.

He postponed a $50 sale, he'll sell the books eventually.

That may be true, but he lost a repeat customer as well :shrug: . As I was looking around, I had already made up my mind that it would be a place I would come back to.

But at least I got a cool book for the PC. I've never seen the Ross #121 except online.

you could have gotten the deal for 47 still-- pay for the older ones first at $35. Sale done - receipt in hand.

Then go -- hmm-- think I'll take this book after all (Ross for $12). Pay for it without making a big fuss.

The guy was a dork about it but he did leave you with a way to work around his illogical BS.

This occurred to me, but if he was being that weird about it, I highly doubt he would've let this go by without saying something. lol

Let him say something. What's he going to do? Refuse to sell you a book at his listed price? Leave your $12 on the counter and walk out with books in hand & screw that insufficiently_thoughtful_person. It's not like he's your LCS where you gotta deal with him again next week. it's just some random shop not anywhere near where you live.

When he offered the three books for $47, did you counter with $45? :baiting:

lol

No, I didn't. The woman said they could probably do $50 but had to ask the guy. After he looked up stuff, he came back and said he could do $35 for the two and full on the Ross. I took that to mean $35 and then the full marked price on the other.

After that, I said to the woman, "so that's $47 total?" I already had my wallet out to pay. She said, "yes," and then the guy (now about ten feet or so away) looked back and said, "No. $35 for the two or you have to pay full price on all three if you buy the other."

I would have just left without buying anything. He hasn't earned my business.

This. I would have chuckled, dropped the books and walked out

I really was tempted to walk out, but like I said, I'd never seen the Ross before and really wanted it for my collection.

I haven't had time to visit shops in San Diego, though I cant say it's something I've planned to do, but when I'm in Florida I don't even bother anymore.

I hear stories about comic shops and conventions being somewhat of a "finding your tribe" experience but for me it's the opposite. I like comics books but I have found I have very little in common with what seems to comprise that base audience, even though I'm probably the age the medium has remained catering too. I don' wear comic t-shirts, I don't give a mess if your favorite character is going to be african american in a film, I don't want to read your webcomic (unless it was One Punch Man), and I honestly never experienced that kind of stereotypical frowned upon comic book fan thing. Kids did not get clowned for reading X-Men or Spidey when I was a kid, just about EVERYONE did.

Also, and this applies to all businesses though I guess it could be said that a lot of comic shops or slower on the evolution process, but I don't feel the need to have someone's lease worked into the price of my comic - I will just just go online and get a better price

And the odd thing is, and again I haven't tried San Diego yet mostly because I never leave my neighborhood lol, but it might be a lot like Florida where i's usually bright and sunny, and beautiful people are everywhere going to the beach, its usually it's laid back, and then you enter a comic book store and for some reason it's different than everything else. This one thing is not like the others, like some bastion of the old world

One of my experiences here is that I'd hit a shop when I saw something getting hot (whether seeing from here or just making common sense conclusions via casting news etc) and I noticed after awhile I was getting a look because I was straight up pulling something close to dollar books (like Big Hero 6 type books etc) that they were just a week or so late on the uptake and I noticed the odd feelings when I went to the counter and I don't need that in my life lol. If you have this much money in this game to have a roof over it, you should be beating me to your comics, and if not, not making me feel odd about coming to your shop. I utilize this thing called the internet. Most of carry it in our pocket.

And I'm not a guy who sells a lot of things. Maybe 100 comics in my life (though I do have brief periods were I purge things). I just use the news to let me know I might need to grab something before it becomes more than I want to spend,

That doesn't make sense though. ???

Are you sure he didn't mean $35 for the two or full price on each if you buy them individually?

I'm positive. That's what I first thought, but when I said $47 for all three, he said, "No. Just the two for $35 or full price for all three if you buy the Ross."

Forget comic shops. Wait for a convention if you just love buying books in person. Comic shops are so 20th century and best left there.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are plenty of fine shops out there whose owners actually know what they're doing

Forget comic shops. Wait for a convention if you just love buying books in person. Comic shops are so 20th century and best left there.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are plenty of fine shops out there whose owners actually know what they're doing

Name 512

Name 512

This is a joke by the way. You know, for people with no sense of humor

Name 512

This is a joke by the way. You know, for people with no sense of humor

Am I on trial here?