• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAN OF STEEL appreciation thread
2 2

398 posts in this topic

Just watched this start to finish for the first time since I saw it in the theater.  I've re-watched parts of it when I flipped past it on television, and I've re-watched the fight scenes a ton of times on Youtube, but I had forgotten how much I loved the entire film--particularly the science fiction elements in portraying Krypton and the way they were colonizing the galaxy.  In the past 300 has been my favorite Snyder film, but I also re-watched that film a few days ago and now I think I like Man of Steel more.  I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 or 20 superhero films of all time objectively, but it's DEFINITELY in my subjective top ten.  I like the first two Nolan Batmans better, but Snyder gave me everything I would ever want in a Superman origin story.

I would have liked more detail about why the Kryptonian settlements died out.  Why were they never able to find a planet where a colony could sustain itself particularly given how good they were at terraforming?  That doesn't make complete sense.  Snyder's depiction of Krypton almost comes off like a case study for why Thanos was right about the course of civilization using up all natural resources and ultimately killing themselves, but I don't get why they weren't able to successfully colonize planets over the course of the 100,000+ years they were doing it referenced in the film.

Edited by fantastic_four

19 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Just watched this start to finish for the first time since I saw it in the theater.  I've re-watched parts of it when I flipped past it on television, and I've re-watched the fight scenes a ton of times on Youtube, but I had forgotten how much I loved the entire film--particularly the science fiction elements in portraying Krypton and the way they were colonizing the galaxy.  In the past 300 has been my favorite Snyder film, but I also re-watched that film a few days ago and now I think I like Man of Steel more.  I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 or 20 superhero films of all time objectively, but it's DEFINITELY in my subjective top ten.  I like the first two Nolan Batmans better, but Snyder gave me everything I would ever want in a Superman origin story.

I would have liked more detail about why the Kryptonian settlements died out.  Why were they never able to find a planet where a colony could sustain itself particularly given how good they were at terraforming?  That doesn't make complete sense.  Snyder's depiction of Krypton almost comes off like a case study for why Thanos was right about the course of civilization using up all natural resources and ultimately killing themselves, but I don't get why they weren't able to successfully colonize planets over the course of the 100,000+ years they were doing it referenced in the film.

There was talk of a prequel film (before all this streaming services came up) where Russell Crowe wanted to further explore the history of Krypton, and what took place. But WB wanted to push forward with BVS and then reversed course rapidly when it reacted to critics and upset social media bloggers. So the cookie crumbs were there to setup other stories later on.

Man of Steel Prequel? Russell Crowe Says Talk to Legendary

Now what is cool is if you watch SYFY Channel's KRYPTON show it goes into these details how ignorant leaders of the planet were so religiously driven by their decisions they allowed for the decay of their society. And oddly enough, it is written by David Goyer (Man of Steel screenwriter). So the prequel people wanted. But prior to Jor-El's arrival.

Has it ever been touched on about the open "pod" that was missing a body when Kal-El found the Kryptonian ship buried under all the ice in Man of Steel?  I don't think it was every mentioned in the movies, but has Snyder or any of the writers said anything "official"?

11 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Has it ever been touched on about the open "pod" that was missing a body when Kal-El found the Kryptonian ship buried under all the ice in Man of Steel?  I don't think it was every mentioned in the movies, but has Snyder or any of the writers said anything "official"?

Snyder said that he "won't reveal who", in case his JL sequels are ever made.

Edited by Angel of Death

11 hours ago, media_junkie said:

18 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Snyder said that he "won't reveal who", in case his JL sequels are ever made.

But there is a Man of Steel prequel comic book that was published at the same time that may answer some questions (or give hints).

Obscure Comics: Man Of Steel Prequel Special Edition #1

There is a bit of irony that DC Comics proudly presents this prequel comic. It was only available on the DC website for a short time, with all official links and availability now gone.  Released May 18th, 2013, this comic quickly slipped into the obscure and was little seen or known.

The comic focuses on Krypton of 1000 years ago, as Kara Zor-El, who along with fellow pilots and explorers are undergoing the last test required by the Kryptonian Council before she and the others can become official explorers.  However, the test results in the first murder in over 1000 years on Krypton as Dev-Em causes  Kell-Ur, Kara's lover, to die in an accident, trying to gain Kara for himself.  Dev-Em's obsession causes the Kryptonian Council to deliberate for weeks, deciding on the murderer's fate.

Kara graduates and shows off her ship to her parents, explaining that the ships will explore the galaxy, finding appropriate planets, landing, and then using a codex to then birth and grow an entire Kryptonian population to help them terraform. Kara and her crew leave Krypton, looking to discover and explore the known universe. The whole crew enters suspended animation for ten years in order to travel the long distance to a planet they hope to explore.

Waking up ten years later, Kara finds that Dev-Em is aboard, and he murdered everyone but herself, in hopes of still claiming her as his own.  A fight ensues, and both find their strength has increased greatly.  The ship with no pilot though sinks into the orbit of a planet and crashes, with only one emerging from the ship alive, who in shadow walks away into a snowstorm a thousand years ago in the Arctic.

The Man Of Steel Prequel Special Edition #1 as a prequel promo comic is quite the effort, and if ever put out in a print format, was likely designed to be a 48-page issue with 40 plus pages of story and ads.  The effort Jerry Ordway (the great artist and writer of DC gems such as All-Star Squadron, Adventures of Superman, and the Power of Shazam) contributed to every page truly comes through.  The David Goyer / Geoff Johns / Zack Snyder plot is interesting. It contributes to many fan theories about the DC Extended Universe, but Sterling Gates does a great job scripting and pulling this crazy plot together. 

Page-13.thumb.jpeg.08ced1641479424ade4ed575b9ff1d10.jpeg

Page-30.thumb.jpeg.3ab628fcb0635e75e6e4c7e9d15127c4.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I thought that Snyder specifically said that it isn't Supergirl?

There is something tied to the comic book which Snyder won't go into. Most probably in the hope he gets to address this one day. But notice the guy that is in the comic book.

Zack Snyder Won't Reveal Who's Inside Man of Steel's Kryptonian Pod (2021)

Zack Snyder knows the identity of who is in the open pod in Man of Steel - but he doesn’t want to share who it is just yet. Zack Snyder’s Justice League is right around the corner and HBO Max began the press tour for the upcoming film with Snyder sharing tidbits about the project and teases for what he had planned later on down the road. One question that has been on many fans' minds since 2013 concerns an open Kryptonian pod, and what it was meant to lead to.

During an interview with Terri Schwartz during IGN Fan Fest 2021, a fan-submitted question asked about who was in the Kryptonian pod. Snyder revealed that he knows who it was supposed to be, but won’t say. He says the pod is shown in his cut of Justice League but the identity of the person who was in it is not disclosed. Snyder says he hopes that people will find out who was in it soon but won’t reveal that information just yet - in case his cancelled Justice League sequel ever actually gets made.

There most common theory is that this pod belonged to Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl. Given the fact that the pod is on a Kryptonian ship, Kara's traditional origin story as another survivor of Krypton's destruction, and later announcements of a planned Supergirl film, this seemed like a reasonable guess. Yet Snyder debunked these claims in 2018 and said the pod was not teasing Supergirl but "something more." That tease seems to imply that whatever was in the pod was something tying more into Snyder’s immediate Justice League plans in his five-film arc starting with Man of Steel and eventually ending in his Justice League trilogy.

Oddly enough the article does reference the contradiction with the comic book.

Interestingly, Snyder's comments do contradict an existing canon story. Around the release of Man of Steel, a prequel comic was released, setting up the universe. Written by the film's scribe, David Goyer, the prequel story introduces Supergirl to the DCEU. This version of Kara Zor-El is a member of the Kryptonian Explorers Guild and she's searching for habitable planets for Kryptonians. The comic ends by confirming that the open pod did belong to Kara Zor-El but leaving her current whereabouts a mystery. So much time has passed since the release of the comic that it's unlikely Warner Bros. and DC would still consider the book canon, but Snyder's comments seem to suggest it was never an official story anyway.

Edited by Bosco685

Looks like someone REALLY appreciated Superman.

An "exceedingly rare" copy of a comic book that introduced Superman for the first time has sold for a record-breaking price.

The issue of "Action Comics #1," which sold for 10 cents when it was originally released in 1938, was auctioned Tuesday for $3.25 million according to a press release from online auction house ComicConnect.com.

This particular copy was "buried in a stack of old 1930s movie magazines" and was in mint condition. It has been sold at least three times before, including most recently in 2018 for more than $2 million, the broker said.

Other issues of "Action Comics #1" have also sold for historic prices. In 2014, an issue sold for $3.2 million on eBay.

As for the copy sold this week, the seller made a $1 million profit after owning it for just three years. The name of the new buyer wasn't disclosed, but the release said the new owner is "relatively new to comic investing."

"This is an 83-year-old comic book in near-pristine condition—and it's a sight to behold," said Vincent Zurzolo, coowner of ComicConnect, in the release. "Not to mention, this book launched the superhero genre that's such a huge part of our culture."

MCU_SUV.gif.dcfd7f2ff11b2d6d7a49539be1632749.gif

There will always be those that want the cartoony Clark Kent/Kal-El which Richard Donner built upon this. Which was great. But with Zack Snyder, he was bringing a god-like character into real life.

Two interesting videos tackling why those that appreciate this film have a position view on Snyder's take.

Batman v. Superman directors cut and ZSJL are my favorites. I still have some problems with MOS, especially the handling of Jonathan Kent, and the way he died. 

27 minutes ago, vheflin said:

This one is my favorite of all the new hero movies.  The Smallville fight was stunning to watch.

They screwed up not making a sequel.

There absolutely should have been a MOS sequel that focused on Superman.  I think it should have come before BvS.