• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Label vs. New Label

14 posts in this topic

Since most of my high-end CGC collection was slabbed about 3 to 5 years ago, I'm faced with a slight dilemma. In a few years, should I have the books reholdered and the microchamber paper replaced, or should I stick with the old label and leave them as is.

I'm a little worried that CGC graded books with the new label may have the stigma of being pressed (or overgraded). This may especially be true 2 or 3 years from now when more and more HG books will become pressed. Now don't get me wrong, I do realize that even the old labeled books may have been pressed prior to CGC, but the chances are probably smaller. Plus, they're harder to trace without all the available scans on Ebay or Comiclink.

I don't want to turn this into another pressing thread, but just wanted everyone's opinion on whether books sporting the old label may actually be more sought after in the near future. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pressing has been around before CGC was in existence. So why would you even think that books with the old label would be pressed-free?

The only thing I can see with the old label is that the grade may change one notch +/-.

That is a right dilemma you have got there. I personally prefer the look fo the new slabs. The big number on the left etc. But now that they have stopped doing the older version there be be eventually a high demand for them as the "Original" CGC labels. What i would do would be to get msot of them slabbed but keep a few that arnt runs in your collections or whatever and see if you can make a hefty profit on them in years to come.

For example there is a company that made Sewing Machines off the Clyde in Glasgow by the name of Singer. They were the cream of the crop is sewing machines. when the company went out of business the Sewing machines hot up in price and nowadays are worth a small fortune.

In a few years, should I have the books reholdered and the microchamber paper replaced, or should I stick with the old label and leave them as is.

I wouldn't bother reholdering. Not because of any concerns about pressing, but because I think it's an unnecessary expense.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost certain books I've had reholdered came back with their original label. Has the policy changed?

I sent in an old holder because of a top label problem about the same time CGC switched to the new labels. CGC gave it a new label.

In a few years, should I have the books reholdered and the microchamber paper replaced, or should I stick with the old label and leave them as is.

I wouldn't bother reholdering. Not because of any concerns about pressing, but because I think it's an unnecessary expense.

I would tend to agree here, but if you want to do it, DO IT!

If the mirco-chamber & the myth I read about is the only reason you're considering reholdering these books, my advice would be "don't bother." laugh.gif 90% of the comics I own were stored in poly bags, many with no backing boards for 30+ years. I changed about 1/4 of the bags 10 years ago. 27_laughing.gif I've slabbed maybe 2% of them and they all have white or of-white to white pages & many are NM and above. heat & humidity are the real enemies, and your books are already slabbed, so it's up to you.

It is an interesting point though, about new labels being associated with pressing, cleaning, etc. I suppose I wouldn't reholder any pedigree books for this reason. 893whatthe.gif

Since most of my high-end CGC collection was slabbed about 3 to 5 years ago, I'm faced with a slight dilemma. In a few years, should I have the books reholdered and the microchamber paper replaced, or should I stick with the old label and leave them as is.

I'm a little worried that CGC graded books with the new label may have the stigma of being pressed (or overgraded). This may especially be true 2 or 3 years from now when more and more HG books will become pressed. Now don't get me wrong, I do realize that even the old labeled books may have been pressed prior to CGC, but the chances are probably smaller. Plus, they're harder to trace without all the available scans on Ebay or Comiclink.

I don't want to turn this into another pressing thread, but just wanted everyone's opinion on whether books sporting the old label may actually be more sought after in the near future. confused-smiley-013.gif

Some of the information that I saw from ComicSupply.com about the Microchamber paper (documents Russell got from the manufacturer) suggested that it would take a lot longer than 7 years for the paper to lose its effectiveness. I don't think it's worth the expense of reholdering. Just store the books in the appropriate environmental conditions and I think you'll be fine.