• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Star #8 To sell or not to sell?

41 posts in this topic

Using Thor 165 as an example of movie book has it fallen since movie was released?

You are comparing a book that was issued before the paper drives, before comic collecting was a passion, before Overstreet, before Seduction of the Innocent and Parade of Pleasure, 75 years ago, to a relatively new book, collected during a time when comic guides were published.

Warlock is a relatively minor character in comparison, but just the age of the book and all the things that would have affected it's survival rate make a huge difference when compared with Thor 165.

I sold my Thor in a blink, would again too, I could buy one any time, but if I sold my All Star 8, it would be very hard to replace.

You are a smart man, Kav...do some reading about Golden Age before you compare.

As many have stated, the book is as blue chip as it gets. It will probably always be out of my range, although I'd love to have one. But as far as the hobby goes, that will always be a very desirable, incredibly expensive and hard to find book.

My concern is whether or not, over time, the general value of even the blue chip books is going to decline, due to the aging out of the big $$$ collectors. Without question we are seeing a lot of younger folks get into the collecting game, but are they really pouring that kind of money into the hobby? Will the ceiling for the highest value books eventually decrease?

Its not really an issue for me, as I only have my admittedly meager discretionary income tied up in books, but for the big dogs, I do wonder sometimes.

Keep the book until you are either in retirement or need to sell it to pay for some kind of life threatening situation. Don't be like some of these guys and be like "I have to dump it while it's hot" you'll just end up regretting it later in life with "Oh man, I shouldn't have sold that, look at what it goes for now" The WW movies will bring an AS 8 it's much needed and deserved attention.

Kevin, a question though, who are the buyers at the levels of "deserved attention". The book has always been expensive, and is only becoming even more expensive. 20k for a 1.0, 200k+ for high grade. That is a lot of money. I'm just wondering who these collectors are that didn't know or have a desire to own an AS8 that will want to because of the movie buzz and can afford it.

Keep the book until you are either in retirement or need to sell it to pay for some kind of life threatening situation. Don't be like some of these guys and be like "I have to dump it while it's hot" you'll just end up regretting it later in life with "Oh man, I shouldn't have sold that, look at what it goes for now" The WW movies will bring an AS 8 it's much needed and deserved attention.

Kevin, a question though, who are the buyers at the levels of "deserved attention". The book has always been expensive, and is only becoming even more expensive. 20k for a 1.0, 200k+ for high grade. That is a lot of money. I'm just wondering who these collectors are that didn't know or have a desire to own an AS8 that will want to because of the movie buzz and can afford it.

This is a great point.

There's a yuuuuge difference between buying a copy of X-Factor #6 because Apocalypse is in the new X-Men movie and All-Star #8. While many, many collectors would love the first Wonder Woman, it's out of touch for the vast majority of them. The people who are in the market for this book are not going to be swayed by a movie appearance.

Some good points made here, but i think WW keys are where the rarity and popularity meet undervalued and about to get its due.

Someone should find that thread when the AS8 cgc 9.0 first came out -- some were quoting $100K as the hammer on it, which i thought was amusing.

I think the final hammer would have been higher, if not for the oversized cgc case...such a shame too, because the normal sized cases fit so nicely together!!

The bidding has some ways to go.....and there aren't that many copies hidden which can now be sprung out for sale (perhaps cooling the market some).

There are a few copies for sale online but funny enough, less than first meets the eye. Charlie had the same copy listed 3 times (fixed price, duplicate fixed price, auction)..ROFL.

And Tony's point (let me paraphrase you, sir) about it being the highest graded copy on the census, and becoming the largest dollar public sale on public records by a LANDSLIDE......this will have an effect.

My $0.02 anyways, no change required.

Thanks for all the input guys and gals. I figured I'd give a little context to go with my original post as I've had a couple PM's.

When I first got the AS8 it was meant to be a keeper. I already had a WW1 and a Sensation 1 so those were gonna be my nest egg books along with a few other keys I like...mostly Supes.

Unfortunately had to sell the WW1 last year to cover some health costs so I was down to just the two.

Now I've run into some foundation and mold issues with my house so it looks like a large chunk of cashola is going to be needed again....just waiting for the quote.

So depending on the damage I might have to sell but if it's a situation where in a year its going to sky rocket even more, I might be wiser to sell of all the smaller keys for now and hold out as long as I can on the AS8.

Again, thanks for the input, and just for fun, here's the book.

AA577EAA-6F5D-461B-8EFA-B3D9C4949426_zpshvldin2q.jpg

And the Sensation 1 just for fun. Not pretty but a great book anyways.

0B8A0B85-6D52-441E-89BD-01CB886EFF94_zpsjnacu7ph.jpg

Don't waste your time with PMs, folks. I've just traded Randy my Thor 165 for it. :P

^^

What the heck...I thought we agreed I was going to do the work required while you sat around in shorts and drank lemonade. I'll nominate you if I have to!

I think the fact that one of the two best existing copies (9.0)

This is a false statement

I don't mean to be making a false statement. The Census shows 2 unrestored 9.0's as the highest graded. There were also 3 restored 9.0's which I did not mention - just because restored 9.0 would not be worth even remotely close to a unrestored 9.0 So the two best existing copies are the two unrestored 9.0's.

Are you aware of a better copy that hasn't hit the census - or are you just referring to the total number of 9.0's?