• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BATMAN VS SUPERMAN MOVIE A DOG

765 posts in this topic

changed my post and added some info bat v sup is

NOT gonna make a profit..

It's at 783M, lets say it finishes at 825-900M.

-250M production budget

-150M (?) marketing

How does that = negative numbers?

Where does the remaining 425-500M go that yields WB a loss on the film?

If anyone's interested, I've linked another discussion forum below. The thread has a variety of pro/con opinions expressed about Superman vs Batman and superhero movies in general. A number of movie industry folks contribute views on this forum, so the discussions are often lively with interesting observations. Heck, the GA Marvel Mystery comic in this thread oughta be worth a look... searching-019.gif

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice.356063/page-33

We were debating the aerodynamic capabilities of the wings on Subbies feet. Don't ask! lol

STEVEHOFFMAN forums is awesome.

If you want to talk about rock from The Beatles to Lemmy you will find it`s the CGC of music forums! (thumbs u

-250M production budget

-150M (?) marketing

Theater percentages to keep this super-turkey on screens, Batfleck's backend points for wearing black longjohns, Zack Snyder's retirement package. Who knows? The numbers can change dramatically with Hollywood accounting. (:

-250M production budget

-150M (?) marketing

Theater percentages to keep this super-turkey on screens, Batfleck's backend points for wearing black longjohns, Zack Snyder's retirement package. Who knows? The numbers can change dramatically with Hollywood accounting. (:

I hear ya. But Mitch is stating his opinion, that it won't make any profit, as a fact.

Box office sans budget + promotion expense still = hundreds of millions of dollars. Obviously theater-expense and other factors come into play, but to the extent of eating up hundreds of millions of dollars? Just waiting on the detailed math to explain that one.

I posted an article a few days ago which went through all the accounting. It basically sums up this way.

1. Budget

2. Marketing

3. Cast appearances and promotional expenses (these were listed as separate from marketing)

4. Theater cut which varies widely depending on region.

5. A surprising amount of other assorted stuff

The long and the short of it was if BvS makes $900 BO, WB will see about a $125 mil profit.

I think it's not so much what this film earned in an absolute sense, but how it did relative to the expectations of WB execs. That will be a key factor with respect to whether they intend to carry through on the 11 (or whatever the number is) follow-on films that have been tentatively scheduled.

Not to harp on the critics' response, but I was looking though the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and it's not just that the film gets only 29% positive. What struck me was how almost uniformly negative the papers and sites I'd heard of were. The only positive reviews I saw were from obscure web sites or other places I had never heard of.

If I were a Warner exec, the steep falloff in revenue after the opening weekend coupled with the nearly universal critical lambasting would make me wonder whether--at the least--some serious adjustments would be needed before going forward with the scheduled DC movies.

They can't make these films--at least not with budgets this size--if they end up attracting an audience made up primarily of hardcore comic fans.

oh my, i regret stumbling on this thread -- the amount of hate being thrown the way of the movie is dissapointing in an environment where we a) all want to see broader success which means more movies coming and b) where we know there will be differences of opinion merely due to the underlying expectations of fans.

DM - have a lot of respect for you man, i think you're articulate and thoughtful........ that said, candidly, i think the brow-beating comment was spot on (certainly not in your intentions, but the way it will be perceived). Your arguments are very deep, and ones that i'm not going to touch for many reasons. You're entitled to them, of course, i just question how many would develop a hatred so strong for the movie on that basis.....

Mitch - you shouldn't' be allowed to post with your nonsensical blabbering. You haven't conveyed an original thought in this entire thread, but rather speak in some foreign language full of assumptions that sound like fact. There are more holes in your baloney than the swiss cheese that you should combine with the aforementioned, make a sandwich, and go eat it somewhere far far away. Cmon man, you're entitled not to like the movie, but i have no idea what the point of you whacking away at the keyboard is.....

I agree with tth - we are way to fixated on the box office take here, as another boardie said and i liked (and will paraphrase) - we're spending more time debating the Cume than all of WB executive pool mutliplied by 10x. .............The box office does matter, insofar as there was a bogey needed to justify continuing with the DCEU and more movies --- Per most of the literature out there (tabloid-esque periodicals excluded), we have met that objective. It will probably do $1B because of the R-rated Dir cut release, but reality is, it's met the bogey needed.

Most importantly - i saw the movie. I am no movie critic, but I see alot of movies....

1) I liked the movie alot the first time - it had me shouting, squeeling, tearing up, laughing, etc.....

2) I liked it even more the 2nd time

3) the 2.5 hour flick did not seem to be "too long"

4) Score was outstanding

5) Actors did very well portraying their characters, notwithstanding the ones who i thought weren't the best choices originally

Ultimately what i hope will happen, is that WB will collect lots of feedback from the critics community and adjust future projects accordingly. A good chunk of this is psychological and ego-based anyways, especially for characters like these. This will help future movies do even better (though i'm sure they won't be able to satisfy some on these boards, as they never will/would).

oh my, i regret stumbling on this thread -- the amount of hate being thrown the way of the movie is dissapointing in an environment where we a) all want to see broader success which means more movies coming and b) where we know there will be differences of opinion merely due to the underlying expectations of fans.

DM - have a lot of respect for you man, i think you're articulate and thoughtful........ that said, candidly, i think the brow-beating comment was spot on (certainly not in your intentions, but the way it will be perceived). Your arguments are very deep, and ones that i'm not going to touch for many reasons. You're entitled to them, of course, i just question how many would develop a hatred so strong for the movie on that basis.....

Mitch - you shouldn't' be allowed to post with your nonsensical blabbering. You haven't conveyed an original thought in this entire thread, but rather speak in some foreign language full of assumptions that sound like fact. There are more holes in your baloney than the swiss cheese that you should combine with the aforementioned, make a sandwich, and go eat it somewhere far far away. Cmon man, you're entitled not to like the movie, but i have no idea what the point of you whacking away at the keyboard is.....

I agree with tth - we are way to fixated on the box office take here, as another boardie said and i liked (and will paraphrase) - we're spending more time debating the Cume than all of WB executive pool mutliplied by 10x. .............The box office does matter, insofar as there was a bogey needed to justify continuing with the DCEU and more movies --- Per most of the literature out there (tabloid-esque periodicals excluded), we have met that objective. It will probably do $1B because of the R-rated Dir cut release, but reality is, it's met the bogey needed.

Most importantly - i saw the movie. I am no movie critic, but I see alot of movies....

1) I liked the movie alot the first time - it had me shouting, squeeling, tearing up, laughing, etc.....

4) Score was outstanding

5) Actors did very well portraying their

characters, notwithstanding the ones who i thought weren't the best choices originally

Ultimately what i hope will happen, is that WB will collect lots of feedback from the critics community and adjust future projects accordingly. A good chunk of this is psychological and ego-based anyways, especially for characters like these. This will help future movies do even better (though i'm sure they won't be able to satisfy some on these boards, as they never will/would).

First I commend you for paying and seeing this movie twice... You are a far better man than I for doing it. I had my ticket bought for me so I saw it for free and still ripped off for this waste of time.

It seems that every critic agrees with me and my accessment .you hoping that we can all get along and not call a turd a turd so more movies can be made does not fly. You can see this movie 50 times and it's gonna be the same result.. 250 million dollars for what.. This was the largest comic book movie budget ever . Numbers have to be talked about when this type of effort falls flat... The blame should not be to one person. But a bunch of them. Yes we all can get along but we see a joke actor play LL...miscast or not... Somebody had to make the call and get approval....

As far as my comments on the board , I try to call it as I see it after collecting for over 50. Years. My heart remains strong as a comic book collector. This film was an insult trying to please too many people and it ended up not pleasing 90% of the suckers who saw and paid for it. Live and learn but let's hope damage control is effectual and the dc universe can begin to compete with marvel.

Film finances 101:

Film gross is total a ticket sales.

It gets split between the theatres and the distributor. Rule of thing is a 50/50 split when all is said and done ( there are contracts with different shares week by week, or aggregate deals for the entire run). The money the distributor gets is called Film Rental.

That's why the math posted earlier points to a small profit or loss even though the ticket sales are twice the expenses.

[font:Comic Sans MS]Brow beating...[/font] stirthepot.gif

I gave you a beer on page 36 hope ur brewing a Jack and coke for me. :popcorn:

Absotively poslutely! ...As long you aren't requesting Coke Zero. Gator has a monopoly on Coke Zero distribution until the next millennium. :gossip:

Thanks for the ale on p36. Next con we both attend, you get Jack! ...Wait a minute, that didn't come out right. hm

Absotively poslutely! ...As long you aren't requesting Coke Zero. Gator has a monopoly on Coke Zero distribution until the next millennium. :gossip:

Thanks for the ale on p36. Next con we both attend, you get Jack! ...Wait a minute, that didn't come out right. hm

Boy you got a way with words!!!!!! :makepoint:(thumbs u

Edited by woowoo

4) Score was outstanding

characters, notwithstanding the ones who i thought weren't the best choices originally

First I commend you for paying and seeing this movie twice... You are a far better man than I for doing it. I had my ticket bought for me so I saw it for free and still ripped off for this waste of time.

It seems that every critic agrees with me and my accessment .you hoping that we can all get along and not call a turd a turd so more movies can be made does not fly. You can see this movie 50 times and it's gonna be the same result.. 250 million dollars for what.. This was the largest comic book movie budget ever . Numbers have to be talked about when this type of effort falls flat... The blame should not be to one person. But a bunch of them. Yes we all can get along but we see a joke actor play LL...miscast or not... Somebody had to make the call and get approval....

As far as my comments on the board , I try to call it as I see it after collecting for over 50. Years. My heart remains strong as a comic book collector. This film was an insult trying to please too many people and it ended up not pleasing 90% of the suckers who saw and paid for it. Live and learn but let's hope damage control is effectual and the dc universe can begin to compete with marvel.

"Not pleasing 90%..."

70% of the audience liked the film on Rotten Tomatoes, not 10%.

9,000+ viewers on ComicBook.com rated the film 4.26/5 -- the 3rd highest rated comic book film on their site.

Does this mean that the film is universally loved? No. But to use hyperbole and/or incorrect, unsubstantiated numbers in an attempt to reinforce your point of view does little to portray reality.

Approaching 800M global at the box office, it's already been established that the film will likely fall short of "Avengers-level" success, and will likely finish in the realm of "Guardians of the Galaxy level" success.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

4) Score was outstanding

I'll send you back your $20, for popcorn, or candy or whatever you needed to watch the film. It doesn't need your money.

You post the same nonsense, not a single unique, or original thought in the blurb. And most of what you say is factually false - I'm not one to stoop, but you've been posting this for pages and pages.

For the record.

- the movie's budget @ $250M was a lot more than Deadpool, but Comparable to Avengers

- the massive dip in box office take (while who really cares, frankly) is due to the genre of movie and the big Thursday original weekend showing. It front loaded the sales. Even if the critics loved the movie, it's drop would have been significant (yes, the critics have an impact....just not 30% or 50% or something massive on the gross). So the claim that the movie does $1.5 or $2.0B if it was great, is fundamentally false

- the run up of revenue comes some from build up of the fans and broader storyline. Marvel has matured this concept (well) with iron man 1/2, Thor 1, and cap 1 before avengers...and then the continuation from there. DC is just getting started, and with a lot of time between MOS and BvS it will take time to ramp up.

- rotten tomatoes measurement structure has some limitations, that have been well published, and as Wayne-Tec notes, the scores from movie goers were much better (granted they weren't excellent either)

Now - I can understand and respect some didn't like the movie, that's fine. But reading your nonsense, Mitch..... :facepalm:

I gotta say I was not very impressed with the movie.

The good...

1) There are some killer visuals.

2) I liked Affleck as Batman very much.

3) The way the film ties into the end of Man of Steel was great.

4) And above all, Wonder Woman! Perfect.

The problem was that the bad so out-weighed the good for me.

The bad...

I don't know how to do one of those Spoiler Alerts, so SPOILER ALERT!

1) There were plot holes that were just too ridiculous to over come, at least for me.

2) "Martha". All of the animosity between Batman and Superman was resolved simply because their mothers share the same first name?!?!

3) How can Superman hear Lois when she's underwater, when she's on the other side of the world, etc. etc. etc., but he can't hear his mother when she's a couple of blocks away?

4) Luther is scared of Superman's uncontrollable power, so he creates something more powerful and less controllable?

5) It was pretty impressive how quickly the Metropolis legal system worked. The day after the climactic battle scene the paper had news of not only the outcome but also Lex's conviction and imprisonment.

A pretty fair review! (thumbs u

I noticed you had no problems with Batman and Wonder Woman as well.

So it does look like the Superman part of this movie was the part most critics were confused and didn`t like much.

So the Superman mythos is causing this ruckus.

If they did a solo Batman Ben Affleck movie next time it will beat Batman v. Superman box office by a mile! :o

If I am DC I might just concentrate on Batman movies if these other DC superhero movie under-perform at the box office.

Plus I doubt Superman will be getting a solo movie anytime soon now. :(

Thoughts?

I can't speak for anyone else. But I liked almost all the acting other than Eisenberg (and I guess Fishburne). It was the writing, directing, and characterization that put me off. Overall I didn't think it was a very good movie.