• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
34 34

4,337 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2024 at 2:12 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I don't get people like that. Even at under 4oz (USPS current cutoff) and shipping in the same postal zone it can't be less than $5.00 as far as shipping cost. There's literally NOTHING less.

A single comic inside a Gemini mailer is just under 10oz. That's the minimum I use.

The postage cost on the envelope was $2.31 and it was purchased at the Post Office.(shrug)

On 8/15/2024 at 2:56 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Was it Media Mail?

I don't have a clue as there is nothing written or stamped on the envelope except for the postage sticker (and there was no designation on that either).

On 8/15/2024 at 4:41 PM, evilskip said:

I don't have a clue as there is nothing written or stamped on the envelope except for the postage sticker (and there was no designation on that either).

It wasn’t Media Mail as the lowest Media Mail goes is $4-something, just under $5, for their 1-lb rate. 

If it was shipped in a Manila envelope and and the postage was $2.31 sounds like maybe First Class large envelope letter rate. 

edit to add:

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that this is actually a viable way to inexpensively ship comics; I was just speculating on what shipping rate the seller used to get the postage to $2.31. 

First class letter mail has several requirements - weight, dimensions, thickness - and one of the requirements is that the envelope is not stiff and can be easily bent. 

A single bag-and-boarded comic book (especially if it’s a modern comic) with nothing else in a Manila envelope can probably hit all the requirements. 

Of course, the goal is to not have the comic book bent in transit. And putting stiff boards in the envelope to try and protect the comic would probably push it out of the requirements for First Class letter mail. 

Again, just trying to guess how it got shipped for $2.31, in no way suggesting it’s a good idea. 

Edited by Number 6

On 8/14/2024 at 12:18 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Yep. I get Gemini Mailers in a case of 135 for just under $120 shipped, or 88.8 cents each. Gemini Mailers

I get thick cardboard pads in a case of 100 for just under $35 shipped, or 34.4 cents each. Cardboard Pads

That would make your shipping cost $1.58 for packaging. You could save even more buy purchasing in bulkier bulk. :50849494_winkemoji:

I charge a flat $6.99 for shipping a single comic in the USA (10 oz), two comics at $7.99 (12 oz) and $9.99 & up for 3 or more depending on how much more and what they're buying. Then I go Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelopes, which are free from the postal service and you can order 300 at a time, shipped to your residence.

This is what I use. When I last bought mailers a few years ago, I bought the largest lot available and I think it ended up being about .80 for a mailer and pad (but prices have gone up). 

https://geminicomicsupply.com/collections/flash-mailers/products/comic-flash-mailers-1?variant=39942187942079

https://geminicomicsupply.com/collections/mailer-filler-pads-and-box-dividers/products/flash-mailer-filler-pad?variant=42462436720895

If you sell lots that contain about 4-10 books (which would be more than a pound), your best bet is usually to put a mailer in a Priority Flat Rate LEGAL Envelope. They don't have the Legal envelopes at my local post office, but you can order them on the USPS website for free, and they'll deliver them to you for free.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/priority-mail-flat-rate-legal-envelopes-P_EP14L

On 8/15/2024 at 5:18 PM, Darwination said:

I don't like to ding a seller's feedback unless there's an real problem (have only done it once I can think of and for a scammer), but I also don't leave positive feedback if there is particularly unsafe shipping or sketch involved in the item description.  Sort of a if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all approach.

Oh not dinging the seller at all. I'm just going to do all positives and let it go.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:01 PM, Heronext said:

Typically on eBay I stick to selling $25+ comics.  My cost of shipping materials is $2.82 total for Uline folding mailer ($1.37 each) and 2 cardboard slabs (73 cents x 2).  Add an average of $5.25 for an 11 oz USPS Ground Advantage package and I'm at $8.07 which I'd need to charge a buyer for shipping & materials for one book.

I'm thinking to expand into $3 per item comics.  Not many $3 comics would attract a buyer for $8.07 shipping.  If I eat $3 of that which I typically do, I'm giving the comic away for free.

Any tips on getting my shipping cost down?  Does anyone have experience with a product like these?

stayflats.jpg

The answer is just don't. I avoid selling low dollar books like the plague, but if I must...I would group them into lots of maybe 10 or so. Absolutely no way to NOT lose money on eBay selling stuff like that individually...not to mention a big waste of your time. Just my  2c

On 8/14/2024 at 12:18 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

Yep. I get Gemini Mailers in a case of 135 for just under $120 shipped, or 88.8 cents each. Gemini Mailers

I get thick cardboard pads in a case of 100 for just under $35 shipped, or 34.4 cents each. Cardboard Pads

That would make your shipping cost $1.58 for packaging. You could save even more buy purchasing in bulkier bulk. :50849494_winkemoji:

I charge a flat $6.99 for shipping a single comic in the USA (10 oz), two comics at $7.99 (12 oz) and $9.99 & up for 3 or more depending on how much more and what they're buying. Then I go Priority Flat Rate Padded Envelopes, which are free from the postal service and you can order 300 at a time, shipped to your residence.

Thanks.  I will try out those cardboard pads when I run out.  I had bookmarked these a while back too.  Seem cheap but don't know if they are thick enough, and dimensions-wise they are a little oversized for the mailers I use.

On 8/15/2024 at 5:03 PM, evilskip said:

Won a book and the shipping was under $3. It arrived today and it was the comic in a bag and board in a manila envelope. Nothing else. How this didn't get mauled by the USPS is anybody's guess. Going to leave positive feedback, but not just sure if I should leave advice on packaging. He'd definitely have to up his cost to make it safer.:canofworms:

I really think a foldable mailer with rigid corners is the bare minimum any comic needs.  I'd wondered if there is a way to do a manila envelope with some of the stiff wooden-like backers I've gotten with some Heritage stuff, but no idea how much they would cost...

On 8/15/2024 at 9:54 PM, Inhuman Fiend said:

The answer is just don't. I avoid selling low dollar books like the plague, but if I must...I would group them into lots of maybe 10 or so. Absolutely no way to NOT lose money on eBay selling stuff like that individually...not to mention a big waste of your time. Just my  2c

I know, I'm asking for trouble

On 8/13/2024 at 9:01 PM, Heronext said:

Typically on eBay I stick to selling $25+ comics.  My cost of shipping materials is $2.82 total for Uline folding mailer ($1.37 each) and 2 cardboard slabs (73 cents x 2).  Add an average of $5.25 for an 11 oz USPS Ground Advantage package and I'm at $8.07 which I'd need to charge a buyer for shipping & materials for one book.

I'm thinking to expand into $3 per item comics.  Not many $3 comics would attract a buyer for $8.07 shipping.  If I eat $3 of that which I typically do, I'm giving the comic away for free.

Any tips on getting my shipping cost down?  Does anyone have experience with a product like these?

stayflats.jpg

I use foam board and can get several comics worth of packing out of each sheet . Here is a post I made previously showing the process that I use.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/489118-im-trying-to-figure-out-the-cheapest-but-safest-method-for-shipping-single-issue-raw-comics-using-usps-first-class/?do=findComment&comment=11776182

I moved my daughter into an apartment down in Auburn this week for her Sophomore year.  There was so much cardboard in that parking lot, I could have flattened boxes and  packed up the back of the van with enough free eBay cardboard for a couple years.  Didn't quite feel like making my wife wait and doing that after moving furniture up four flights of stairs all day in the southern heat, though :headpat: 

Edited by Darwination

I was looking at a seller who had a few interesting slabs. Then I saw the shipping method was media mail. I'm not sure I've seen that before for a slab. 

"I am the original purchaser of this magazine when it was new in 1969. After reading it once, I placed it in an air-tight plastic bag, boxed it and kept it out of sunlight and artificial light until now."

Read once then bagged and boarded, homie! :1074255691_dryemoji:

That one's especially hard to ship.  It's wayyyy different than the other Eerie he's listing.  Like the ones that cost 7 dollars to ship.  Or the ones that cost 10 to ship.  Or the ones that cost 15.  Or the ones that cost 18 :roflmao:
Edited by Darwination