• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Impossible Collection? Seriously...

364 posts in this topic

What would a real "Impossible Collection" be like"

Complete Centaur runs

Catman #1-32

Pep #1-60

Complete runs of Champ, Prize, Hit, Four Favorites, Super-Mystery and Lightning

Detective #1-26

Even with a lot of money these runs and many others would be a great challenge to complete and would likely take a lot of time. I'm more impressed with the deep knowledge and perseverance needed to assemble runs like this than I am with super-expensive ultra-high-grade books, but such differences are what makes the world go round.....

Two Action 1s in 9.0 sitting next to each other.

Complete Centaur runs

Catman #1-32

Pep #1-60

Detective #1-26

Even with a lot of money these runs and many others would be a great challenge to complete and would likely take a lot of time. I'm more impressed with the deep knowledge and perseverance needed to assemble runs like this than I am with super-expensive ultra-high-grade books, but such differences are what makes the world go round.....

Two Action 1s in 9.0 sitting next to each other.

Two Action 1s in 9.0 is beyond incredible, but I would rather (hand over heart, right hand raised, pinky swear) view the runs mentioned above. I have seen dozens and dozens of Action 1s come to market, I have held Action 1s, flipped though them, read them. Some of those Centaurs and Ace issues I have barely even seen scans of.

That's not taking anything away from the guy's collection. It's obviously incredible value and grade wise....it just takes more than Batman and Superman issues that are readily available every year (grades aside) to truly thrill my jaded little comic heart. It would be amazing to see the Actions, but I am in the hobby for the esoteric stuff.

I can beat all of that...

I knew a guy who was twice as old (74) who acquired his wealth SLOWLY over 50 years* and loved comic books even before he was born and let me hold and read THREE copies of Action #1 at the same time that were 10.0's bought off the stands by an original owner who had flown into the future to buy a Mylite's and Fullbacks to put them in and bought them outside the market, so no one knew they existed, because...

They were graded by CGC when Steve B. was still there, but he had to sign a secret agreement to never say a word) and they had original labels, but now they're going to be revealed and they're the first books to have the new CGC label and holder, and he had double runs of Catman #1-32, Pep #1-60, Complete runs of Champ, Prize, Hit, Four Favorites, Super-Mystery and Lightning, Detective #1-26 including a third run of each of them that is 75% complete but featuring all doubt cover copies, but he isn't going to show them to anyone, because he's a deque.

*And he didn't inherit it, he had to EARN it, even though his dad was James Bond and his mom was Raquel Welch.

Complete Centaur runs

Catman #1-32

Pep #1-60

Detective #1-26

Even with a lot of money these runs and many others would be a great challenge to complete and would likely take a lot of time. I'm more impressed with the deep knowledge and perseverance needed to assemble runs like this than I am with super-expensive ultra-high-grade books, but such differences are what makes the world go round....

How would they be a challenge? One group email to the top ten dealers offering double market value and you'd have 95% in a month, at half the cost of either of his Action 1s.

What might prove a challenge would be prying that Double Action 2 from Mr Levine.

How would they be a challenge? One group email to the top ten dealers offering double market value and you'd have 95% in a month

Completely not true. At all. Many of those books are not available in any grade. Several issues have under 10 copies known.

Ask Win or Gator how long it took them to get to 95% complete on just the Centaurs. I can assure you it was longer than a month, even paying aggressively. It took Win years and years to get that far.

Here's a line I would like to read in one of the articles...

"Never has a collection so quickly been assembled with so little effort on the collectors part"

I see we're back to 'big deal, he's rich'.

The dude is 37; him not being around in the 1970s to pay $1500 for his Action 1s doesn't make his collection less awesome, or less of an achievement. Effort is required to amass wealth, even more effort is required to keep wealth, therefore effort facilitated the purchase of this collection.

Your argument is based on a false premise. He inherited everything, which doesn't necessarily imply any effort.

Was that because all he had to offer was money? Collectors collect and while they might not be willing to sell a book, they almost always are looking for something else. That's where big dealers have the advantage. They have inventory to trade, not just cash.

"Never has a collection so quickly been assembled with so little effort on the collectors part"

The dude is 37; him not being around in the 1970s to pay $1500 for his Action 1s doesn't make his collection less awesome, or less of an achievement. Effort is required to amass wealth, even more effort is required to keep wealth, therefore effort facilitated the purchase of this collection.

Your argument is based on a false premise. He inherited everything, which doesn't necessarily imply any effort.

Adding in the "necessarily" means that my premise isn't "necessarily" false. And even if he inherited everything and doesn't have to lift a finger to maintain it, which is far fetched, someone in his family earned that money. It's funny how we applaud the accumulation of wealth, but diminish the inheritance of it. What are people who accumulate wealth supposed to do, if not give it to their kids? And inheriting tons of money comes with its own challenges and pitfalls, but lets ignore that because money. And even putting all that aside, who effing cares how he got his money? Doesn't make his collection less cool, or his passion less real, unless the sour grapes crew is just looking for a reason to feel better about their own collections and lot in life.

Also, sausage.

Adding in the "necessarily" means that my premise isn't "necessarily" false. And even if he inherited everything and doesn't have to lift a finger to maintain it, which is far fetched, someone in his family earned that money. It's funny how we applaud the accumulation of wealth, but diminish the inheritance of it. What are people who accumulate wealth supposed to do, if not give it to their kids? And inheriting tons of money comes with its own challenges and pitfalls, but lets ignore that because money. And even putting all that aside, who effing cares how he got his money? Doesn't make his collection less cool, or his passion less real, unless the sour grapes crew is just looking for a reason to feel better about their own collections and lot in life.

Also, sausage.

It should.

Do you consider Guzman, Bin Laden and Pablo Escobar to have put in great effort and from that matriculated great wealth?

It goes back to my earlier post about the matter in which the wealth was acquired. Using force and extortion for financial gain is fraud, not effort, nor demonstration of a high business acumen. Read about how this guy made his money...he forced citizens of his own country to sell their real estate at 15% FMV. He'd be in jail had he lived in the United States.

Also, sausage.

:golfclap:

Also, sausage.

It should.

Do you consider Guzman, Bin Laden and Pablo Escobar to have put in great effort and from that matriculated great wealth?

It goes back to my earlier post about the matter in which the wealth was acquired. Using force and extortion for financial gain is fraud, not effort, nor demonstration of a high business acumen. Read about how this guy made his money...he forced citizens of his own country to sell their real estate at 15% FMV. He'd be in jail had he lived in the United States.

1) Fraud and effort are not mutually exclusive

2) This thread wasn't started because of this guy's family background, it was started because of sour grapes

3) The subsequent discussion about his collection is about his status as a collector, and whether or not it is a significant collecting achievement for a rich man to win a bunch of auctions. The argument being put forth by some is that this collection isn't as interesting or noteworthy as the article makes it seem, because of the financial circumstances of the collector, not the morally questionable way in which is family may have accumulated that wealth. I'm not going to follow you down the ridiculous rabbit hole of morally questionable wealth, because I value my sanity and have somewhere to be in a couple hours.

4) Sausage