• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sad Affleck

218 posts in this topic

Based on how badly people felt he did with Daredevil, I fully expected them to find how he played Batman terrible. When he was announced for the role, the common opinion seemed to be "this will be a disaster".

I have not seen the movie yet - I will give it a chance without reading any reviews ahead of time. It may not be well made or it might be entertaining.

This is my opinion as well. I highly doubt if the movie stinks it is because of Affleck anyway. More likely a bad movie.

Affleck was fine. The director's vision is the problem.

He needs glasses?

Based on how badly people felt he did with Daredevil, I fully expected them to find how he played Batman terrible. When he was announced for the role, the common opinion seemed to be "this will be a disaster".

I have not seen the movie yet - I will give it a chance without reading any reviews ahead of time. It may not be well made or it might be entertaining.

This is my opinion as well. I highly doubt if the movie stinks it is because of Affleck anyway. More likely a bad movie.

Affleck was fine. The director's vision is the problem.

He needs glasses?

For reading & driving at night.

Or to disguise his identity.

Sorry guy. Their sales and the fact they published those two books tell a different story. Also, it appears that I'm only allowed to chat about 1 thing and yet you continually mix things around.

a) Not what you said = you were wrong.

b) But just to play along - PROVE DC Comics was on their 'last leg'.

Of course, YOU CAN'T. Because like everything else, you talk out your arse without any facts.

Just like when you tell us how bad a movie is, without ever having seen it.

Once again you go flying off a handle. I've never said the movie was good, bad, or anything else. I just typed I hope it tanks so the comic book films that come after it would be better.

Not wrong - just didn't type my thoughts correctly. DC's sales figures where flat-lined at 3 to 3 1/2 million in sales.

On your point B). You keep saying I can't prove my point and yet you offer nothing to disprove it. The fact remains that the industry had a slump in sales, Shooter had to change Marvel to address the direct market and he did it faster, and better than his DC counter part and Marvel's sales went up due to it and other factors.

Spiderman, Batman, Daredevil have tragic events happen in their lives that make them become crime fighters. When is it explored that they are bonkers, as the characters in The Watchmen were, before 1986? I read a bunch of Spiderman and he's sad after Gwen dies but he isn't shown as some freak. He guilty about his Uncle but he isn't shown as mentally disturbed.

Spider-man explored the possibility of his insanity a number of times during the Ditko era, and even a little bit into the late 60's, and the Green Goblin himself was a referred to as a crazy sociopath - so - been explored in comics before Watchmen.

In fact, Spider-man may have been the first character I remember in comics getting an ulcer, due to stress.

:roflmao::roflmao: Ulcer = Crazy? That's funny. Spider-Man got an ulcer and as a child and now as an adult that equates to mentally messed up like The Nite Owl in the Watchmen? I'm laughing so hard just thinking about all those poor "crazy" people you see buying Prilosec or Zantac. Man, it's a whole new medical market for the drug companies. They are really missing the boat.

Yet, you gloss over the switching from comics to movies to whatever when it suits you. Hard to have a discussion with a person that keeps mixing things around in an attempt to deflect points that the other party in the discussion makes.

In movies or comics, most of the ideas are borrowed. What people took from DKR was the style of it and the elements of sequential storytelling used. The basic story just wasn't all that groundbreaking.

You don't seem to be too referenced in comics, so I guess maybe it was for you.

Right, I must have missed all the comics with superheroes who were force into retirement by an oppressive government. I seemed to have also missed the help of a one armed Green Arrow in all of those too.

Noting that I didn't say the movie was bad I really can't reply. I stated I hoped it tanked and then explained what type of comic book film I'd like to see. Of course, noting how much you jump around in our discussion, I guess you missed that.

No I got it. You stated that you hoped a movie YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN would fail, so they'd make one the way YOU'D like it done.

Millennial much?

I hope the movie jams at the box office, just because of you.

No, not a millennial. Older than you. However I remember a time when you listened to the reviews on a movie and passed on it when they come in as bad as the ones on this one have come in. Why waste my money on something I can watch on cable/Netflex in a few months? You'll base how good it was on the box office return. That's like saying the Bay City Rollers were a great rock band based upon record sales.

Once again you go flying off a handle. I've never said the movie was good, bad, or anything else. I just typed I hope it tanks so the comic book films that come after it would be better.

Better than what?? You haven't seen it. How do you know you won't like it? Because someone online said so?

Better than what?? You haven't seen it. How do you know you won't like it? Because someone online said so?

Generally I have found that the score on Rotten Tomatoes reflects my own taste. Right now the movie is at 31% on the Tomatometer. Also, please note the following reviews:

New York Times:

SM vs BM vs fun?

The Detroit News

'Batman v Superman' is an exhausting showdown

SFGate Review:

‘Batman v Superman’ — a long, empty meeting

You know your right though. One should never believe the reviews given by people paid to do so. With that in mind, I hope that you live in Cleveland, Ohio in the fall. You should invest all your money and life savings in Brown's Season Tickets. The people paid to write about the Browns are saying they will stink again. I know you want to be counter to that. I hope that investment strategy works out for you and the resale value on stubhub for those tickets allows you to retire. :eyeroll: Me? If I happen to live there then - I'll watch them on TV if they sell enough tickets to meet the NFL blackout rules and are broadcast. I won't be spending my money on Brown's tickets this year.

meh it is condition freak

Ok, Roy.

If the movie tanks it doesn't mean they'll make better comic book movies. It means they'll probably shelve the next six projects that haven't started production yet, unless the next movie they do completely redeems themselves. Movie studios will completely quit making comedies if a comedy tanks. They'll stop putting women in lead roles if one movie with a female lead tanks. It took one poor winter for many studios to second guess Oscar bait dramas going forward, there was a legitimate scare that CGI spectacle action was all we would have left. So if you want good super hero movies, hope no big budget big name superhero movies are disasters for the people who finance them.

I generally do not listen to reviews and will go see this movie regardless of any bad reviews. Then again, I didn't listen to the critics when Waterworld came out...that's 135 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

I wish I'd had a review of this thread before I read it...

Has this ever been in doubt?

Dan

I never gave it a thought.

Course I'm not that swift

Roy I know your Canadian but seriously I thought you knew

How's the foot?

Has this ever been in doubt?

Dan

I never gave it a thought.

Course I'm not that swift

Roy I know your Canadian but seriously I thought you knew

How's the foot?

Alright. How are your breasts?

Generally I have found that the score on Rotten Tomatoes reflects my own taste. Right now the movie is at 31% on the Tomatometer. Also, please note the following reviews:

New York Times:

SM vs BM vs fun?

The Detroit News

'Batman v Superman' is an exhausting showdown

SFGate Review:

‘Batman v Superman’ — a long, empty meeting

You know your right though. One should never believe the reviews given by people paid to do so.

That is exactly right, because that is allowing someone to do your thinking for you. If a person is the type who pays attention to reviews (I'm not btw, and haven't been since The Abyss), then I can see them considering what the critic has to say before deciding if they want to see the film- No problem there either. But I don't agree with the notion of hoping a film tanks without yet seeing it because of what a critic says.

Because you think it can be better.

That makes no sense to me. It just sounds like you don't want to like it based on someone else's opinion alone.

To be honest I think the Cyber Generation has no interest in reading anything positive when it comes to things like this. There's no drama zzz

Write a negative article about something highly anticipated by millions and they increase their chances of being read.

With that in mind, I hope that you live in Cleveland, Ohio in the fall. You should invest all your money and life savings in Brown's Season Tickets. The people paid to write about the Browns are saying they will stink again. I know you want to be counter to that. I hope that investment strategy works out for you and the resale value on stubhub for those tickets allows you to retire.

Rats. I'm grounded in reality. :(

:eyeroll: Me?

Not at all. I was thinking more along the lines of ???