• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 Kids Walk into a Bank - mini series

225 posts in this topic

Ok so I dont see a thread discussing this book. I do see the usual suspects selling out of the con exclusives here in the sales forums and I have seen a CGC 9.8 Retailer Incentive reach $350. I guess the book debuts in several weeks, but numbered con exclusives (so far C2E2 and Wondercon) seem to be very hot. I dont know what all the fuss is, but I did jump off the bridge after watching everyone else. Where is this book going in 5 issues? Who hyped this one? Is this series going to be relevant in a year from now? Is there already a thread that I missed :facepalm:

Ok so I dont see a thread discussing this book. I do see the usual suspects selling out of the con exclusives here in the sales forums and I have seen a CGC 9.8 Retailer Incentive reach $350. I guess the book debuts in several weeks, but numbered con exclusives (so far C2E2 and Wondercon) seem to be very hot. I dont know what all the fuss is, but I did jump off the bridge after watching everyone else. Where is this book going in 5 issues? Who hyped this one? Is this series going to be relevant in a year from now? Is there already a thread that I missed :facepalm:

This is another Black Mask title by Rosenberg, which is where the hype is coming from. We Can Never Go Home developed a pretty significant following, and I assume this following is excited about this book. I know I am.

Will this book be relevant in one year from now? I think it depends on the operational understanding of relevant. We Can Never Go Home was an important modern non-Image independent because it essentially called out the big 2 for the recycled drivel that they keep putting out. That book will remain relevant for certain people (myself included) for this reason, not to mention it was a well-written quality story. Will 4 Kids have the same relevancy? Rosenberg seems to be an up-and-coming writer. I believe he will soon be doing domething for DC (too bad), but obviously potentially good for his career. It is possible that 4 Kids and WCNGH will be seen as his breakthrough books. If 4 kids is as good as WCNGH, then it will be relevant 1 year from now for sure. Also, if the book follows the standard Black Mask timeline, in one year from now, we will probably be waiting for issue 4, so it's still going to be relevant that way.

If relevant means $, then all the usual suspects apply. But the fact that it's a limited series certainly stacks the cards against its being an investment play, but I am the last person that anyone should ask about comics as investments because I don't give a mess about this.

Does the fact that there are only 5 issues to look forward to make it any more or less desirable? I know from way back I always never bothered with annuals and mini series, but I see that quite often some of the indie titles have an ending in sight almost before they begin and I've seen some continue further.

Does the fact that there are only 5 issues to look forward to make it any more or less desirable? I know from way back I always never bothered with annuals and mini series, but I see that quite often some of the indie titles have an ending in sight almost before they begin and I've seen some continue further.

Desirability for an entire mini-series is typically based on content and availability of it in another form, like a trade.

This is another Black Mask title by Rosenberg, which is where the hype is coming from. We Can Never Go Home developed a pretty significant following, and I assume this following is excited about this book. I know I am.

Will this book be relevant in one year from now? I think it depends on the operational understanding of relevant. We Can Never Go Home was an important modern non-Image independent because it essentially called out the big 2 for the recycled drivel that they keep putting out. That book will remain relevant for certain people (myself included) for this reason, not to mention it was a well-written quality story. Will 4 Kids have the same relevancy? Rosenberg seems to be an up-and-coming writer. I believe he will soon be doing domething for DC (too bad), but obviously potentially good for his career. It is possible that 4 Kids and WCNGH will be seen as his breakthrough books. If 4 kids is as good as WCNGH, then it will be relevant 1 year from now for sure. Also, if the book follows the standard Black Mask timeline, in one year from now, we will probably be waiting for issue 4, so it's still going to be relevant that way.

If relevant means $, then all the usual suspects apply. But the fact that it's a limited series certainly stacks the cards against its being an investment play, but I am the last person that anyone should ask about comics as investments because I don't give a mess about this.

:headbang::golfclap: Well said sir

Desirability for an entire mini-series is typically based on content and availability of it in another form, like a trade.

Being that it's just a 5 book series, makes it scream TPB. I can't imagine there'd not be one.

xx/200 of any comic is hype enough

I concur. The limited availability does have a lot to do with the desirability of most of Black Masks series, but there are other factors. I think people have been venturing out from DC and Marvel a lot more because Image has put out so many good stories that don't necessarily have to be superhero driven. Black Mask is my favorite publisher right now. All of their books are extremely well written IMO and the art seems to really fit the genres the creators have been writing in.

Once again though, I do have to go back to examples from WCNGH because there is a lot of desirability for well written comics with super limited variants like the SDCC and the micro prints.

Plus, read it, it is really freakin cool!

I concur. The limited availability does have a lot to do with the desirability of most of Black Masks series, but there are other factors. I think people have been venturing out from DC and Marvel a lot more because Image has put out so many good stories that don't necessarily have to be superhero driven. Black Mask is my favorite publisher right now. All of their books are extremely well written IMO and the art seems to really fit the genres the creators have been writing in.

Once again though, I do have to go back to examples from WCNGH because there is a lot of desirability for well written comics with super limited variants like the SDCC and the micro prints.

Yeah, when the book debuts and the variants come after. For 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, the variants debuted first......weird.

Yeah, when the book debuts and the variants come after. For 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, the variants debuted first......weird.

That has been a little strange. I'm pretty sure the retailer went up for sale so fast because how well the retailer for WCNGH did on the market.

That has been a little strange. I'm pretty sure the retailer went up for sale so fast because how well the retailer for WCNGH did on the market.

Again, IMO, I think Mathew Rosenberg/Black Mask are more focused on variants than on actually telling stories. They're using hype to make $$$$$$.

Again, IMO, I think Mathew Rosenberg/Black Mask are more focused on variants than on actually telling stories. They're using hype to make $$$$$$.

hm

I won't say that the main factor but the variants they are selling at cons is a clear cash grab. I appreciated WCNGH yet am waiting for Matt to display evidence he can maintain a well written series longer than a few issues.

In no way do I feel paying $85+ for a con #1 is justified for me when the series itself may actually be garbage. Matt may have a little following but he does not have the history a writer like BKV has to give assurance the series will be exceptional. That's if it can be said that Matt is a exceptional writer at all.

Personally I am going to trade wait this series. As I am with the other Black Mask titles due to the hype prices and distribution delays. Sadly if they cut out the variants these titles would most likely not be getting anywhere near the heat they are getting. I guess they timed it perfectly to pick up all the speculators Image lost when they cut out the majority of variants.

hm

I won't say that the main factor but the variants they are selling at cons is a clear cash grab. I appreciated WCNGH yet am waiting for Matt to display evidence he can maintain a well written series longer than a few issues.

In no way do I feel paying $85+ for a con #1 is justified for me when the series itself may actually be garbage. Matt may have a little following but he does not have the history a writer like BKV has to give assurance the series will be exceptional. That's if it can be said that Matt is a exceptional writer at all.

Personally I am going to trade wait this series. As I am with the other Black Mask titles due to the hype prices and distribution delays. Sadly if they cut out the variants these titles would most likely not be getting anywhere near the heat they are getting. I guess they timed it perfectly to pick up all the speculators Image lost when they cut out the majority of variants.

Exactly :headbang:

I think they are using the hype to make $. Not $$$$$$

I don't think Black Mask was selling them for $85. That's the secondary market price.

And if they were really in for a cash grab, why not print 400? They would all sell.

Does anyone know how much Black Mask was charging for their convention issues?