• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 Kids Walk into a Bank - mini series

225 posts in this topic

xx/200 of any comic is hype enough

I concur. The limited availability does have a lot to do with the desirability of most of Black Masks series, but there are other factors. I think people have been venturing out from DC and Marvel a lot more because Image has put out so many good stories that don't necessarily have to be superhero driven. Black Mask is my favorite publisher right now. All of their books are extremely well written IMO and the art seems to really fit the genres the creators have been writing in.

Once again though, I do have to go back to examples from WCNGH because there is a lot of desirability for well written comics with super limited variants like the SDCC and the micro prints.

Plus, read it, it is really freakin cool!

Yeah, when the book debuts and the variants come after. For 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, the variants debuted first......weird.

That has been a little strange. I'm pretty sure the retailer went up for sale so fast because how well the retailer for WCNGH did on the market.

Again, IMO, I think Mathew Rosenberg/Black Mask are more focused on variants than on actually telling stories. They're using hype to make $$$$$$.

hm

I won't say that the main factor but the variants they are selling at cons is a clear cash grab. I appreciated WCNGH yet am waiting for Matt to display evidence he can maintain a well written series longer than a few issues.

In no way do I feel paying $85+ for a con #1 is justified for me when the series itself may actually be garbage. Matt may have a little following but he does not have the history a writer like BKV has to give assurance the series will be exceptional. That's if it can be said that Matt is a exceptional writer at all.

Personally I am going to trade wait this series. As I am with the other Black Mask titles due to the hype prices and distribution delays. Sadly if they cut out the variants these titles would most likely not be getting anywhere near the heat they are getting. I guess they timed it perfectly to pick up all the speculators Image lost when they cut out the majority of variants.

1) Rossenberg did not event Convention Exclusives.

2) As already pointed out by another boardie, the $85 is the secondary market price

3) This may be a minor cash grab, but Marvel and DC 1:xxxx are plain thievery, and damaging to the environment!!!

4) Not everyone buys comics for speculative purposes, but I admit a lot of people do, which has made a bit of mess at image and has resulted in the death of more than one series, as sales decrease drastically after #1.

I don't think Black Mask was selling them for $85. That's the secondary market price.

And if they were really in for a cash grab, why not print 400? They would all sell.

I did not say they were charging $85 but I do not imagine they were selling them at cover price. Yet I may be mistaken. Unlikely though since Matt had no issue charging $100 for WCNGH NYCC sets. They are very aware of the hype game and know the smaller the print run the better for them. As well they can just make yet another limited variant for another con real soon as they did with WCNGH.

I don't think Black Mask was selling them for $85. That's the secondary market price.

And if they were really in for a cash grab, why not print 400? They would all sell.

I did not say they were charging $85 but I do not imagine they were selling them at cover price. Yet I may be mistaken. Unlikely though since Matt had no issue charging $100 for WCNGH NYCC sets. They are very aware of the hype game and know the smaller the print run the better for them. As well they can just make yet another limited variant for another con real soon as they did with WCNGH.

There will be a ECCC variant!!

I concur. The limited availability does have a lot to do with the desirability of most of Black Masks series, but there are other factors. I think people have been venturing out from DC and Marvel a lot more because Image has put out so many good stories that don't necessarily have to be superhero driven. Black Mask is my favorite publisher right now. All of their books are extremely well written IMO and the art seems to really fit the genres the creators have been writing in.

Once again though, I do have to go back to examples from WCNGH because there is a lot of desirability for well written comics with super limited variants like the SDCC and the micro prints.

Yeah, when the book debuts and the variants come after. For 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank, the variants debuted first......weird.

That has been a little strange. I'm pretty sure the retailer went up for sale so fast because how well the retailer for WCNGH did on the market.

Again, IMO, I think Mathew Rosenberg/Black Mask are more focused on variants than on actually telling stories. They're using hype to make $$$$$$.

hm

I won't say that the main factor but the variants they are selling at cons is a clear cash grab. I appreciated WCNGH yet am waiting for Matt to display evidence he can maintain a well written series longer than a few issues.

In no way do I feel paying $85+ for a con #1 is justified for me when the series itself may actually be garbage. Matt may have a little following but he does not have the history a writer like BKV has to give assurance the series will be exceptional. That's if it can be said that Matt is a exceptional writer at all.

Personally I am going to trade wait this series. As I am with the other Black Mask titles due to the hype prices and distribution delays. Sadly if they cut out the variants these titles would most likely not be getting anywhere near the heat they are getting. I guess they timed it perfectly to pick up all the speculators Image lost when they cut out the majority of variants.

2) As already pointed out by another boardie, the $85 is the secondary market price

3) This may be a minor cash grab, but Marvel and DC 1:xxxx are plain thievery, and damaging to the environment!!!

4) Not everyone buys comics for speculative purposes, but I admit a lot of people do, which has made a bit of mess at image and has resulted in the death of more than one series, as sales decrease drastically after #1.

I get it. You're a fan. I see no issue with that but you can't deny what it all adds up to. It's hype.

1. No Matt did not but has excelled on capitalizing off them. More so that most other creators of his caliber. Most would not have the audacity to charge what he has.

2. Covered that.

3. DC and Marvel is absurd. I agree and don't support that variant game.

4. The lack of quality and delays played a very large role as well. But Image is doing very well without the variants. Would Black Mask?

I'm not anti Black Mask. I have enjoyed a few titles from them but am not blind to the games being played by them, the pump and dump crowd, or the spec sites.

There will be a ECCC variant!!

I just don't see things like $100 for 1-5 50-print run set as a big deal. That is $20 a book. I know more than one person (included my former self :eek:) that would walk into his or her LCS on any given Wednesday and drop $100 on $20 variants. I really do not think the people at Black Mask are rolling in dough. I have no idea what a convention exclusive usually costs on the con floor, but I can't imagine that $20 per book is outrageous. I am only speaking for myself (and I didn't attend NYCC because I am stuck up here in the frozen north), but I would rather give Black Mask $100 for a 5 book very limited set than spend my dollars on 1:20s, 1:50s, 1:100s or 1:5000s.

RidersRohan said:

Into Another said

I get it. You're a fan. I see no issue with that but you can't deny what it all adds up to. It's hype.

1. No Matt did not but has excelled on capitalizing off them. More so that most other creators of his caliber. Most would not have the audacity to charge what he has.

2. Covered that.

4. The lack of quality and delays played a very large role as well. But Image is doing very well without the variants. Would Black Mask?

I'm not anti Black Mask. I have enjoyed a few titles from them but am not blind to the games being played by them, the pump and dump crowd, or the spec sites.

RiderRohan said

I am a fan. You in no way come across as anti Black Mask. 1) I see as business acumen. 2) and 3) covered. 4) I agree--quality control is a problem at Image. This is the thing. I am not sure that they could survive. I do not know the organizational structure of Black Mask, but they seem understaffed. They have creators running around to conventions, and there has been massive delays between book. If they do not start consistently putting out books, they might just fade away or burn out, which is apparently more desirable!!

I completely up the quotes.

I applaud the support you have Riders for Black Mask with all of my being. I think it's completely awesome when people get behind something like that.

I just want the best for the hobby and in my opinion the hype game is a complete recipe for disaster, as is the abundance of variants.

hm

2. Covered that.

+1, great comments.

I applaud the support you have Riders for Black Mask with all of my being. I think it's completely awesome when people get behind something like that.

I just want the best for the hobby and in my opinion the hype game is a complete recipe for disaster, as is the abundance of variants.

(thumbs u

I totally agree with you. In the end, I think most of us just want great stories to read and nice covers in our collections. I have always pulled for the underdog--often to my detriment! lol

People hoping this reaches WCNGH spec value.

Im not touching any of the variants for this one, just like I did for WCNGH.

1st prints only, if anything.

Wonder how many variants this one will have. :roflmao:

How many Comic Cons are there.......?

SDCC WCNGH was $20 ( I remember :grin: ) at the table and limited to 50 copies.

$20 for a small printed book isn't bad, but at a big con like SDCC that $20 per book adds up.

The five ghosts sets are a good example also. The first set went to mostly collectors it seems and did well on the secondary market

The set the next year had more in line to flip and didn't do as well.

I think some are thinking these 4 kids variants will flip like the SDCC ( $20 to $400 + for a raw ) but I doubt it. And there's too many flippers out there grabbing these early also.

Five Ghosts had those limited sets and I didn't really hear anyone complaining about those.

They did those 2 years in a row at SDCC did they not? The first 5 covers are awesome!!

I love everything going on here, and I still need to get those Five Ghosts 1-5. 7-12 are pretty freakin cool too.

The con variants are first prints aren't they?

$20 for a small printed book isn't bad, but at a big con like SDCC that $20 per book adds up.

The five ghosts sets are a good example also. The first set went to mostly collectors it seems and did well on the secondary market

I think some are thinking these 4 kids variants will flip like the SDCC ( $20 to $400 + for a raw ) but I doubt it. And there's too many flippers out there grabbing these early also.

Indeed, those first five Five Ghosts are rare on the secondary market!

There were only a little over 30 sold on this forum. Why do you think everyone is trying to flip them? Prices on eBay are a few bucks higher, even lower in some cases. I think people are collecting these IMO