• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jewel of your collection

71 posts in this topic

Excellent link, Norrin. thumbsup2.gif And here's a link to the actual Hansi comic, (link is also posted in the FD thread).

http://www.carpsplace.com/spire/Hansi.pdf

The comic is an adaptation of a long-forgotten book that would be filed under the "christian/inspirational" section of your neighborhood bookstore. Hansi is definitely one of comicdom's genuine moments of unparalleled weirdness. Ya'll can keep yer mitts off my copy!

Tom, thanks for the link. Very interesting!

Purchased at one 7-11 or another, where the new books would appear on the spinner racks every Wednesday afternoon. While I don't actually remember buying this one, I suspect it was an end-of- summer purchase, when the lazy daze were winding down and a new school year was approaching.

August. Basketball. Slurpee. The new comics. cloud9.gif

CGC graded it at 9.4, but I think it is deserving of even better:

416156-Hulk%20181.jpg

Off a spinner rack at a 7-11 as a kid and it gets a garde of 9.4. Now that is impressive. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Actually, if you got to the stores on Wednesday (the "new comic release" day), the books in the spinner racks hadn't been picked over yet. Also, as I was in high school and college in the 70s, I was cognizant of condition issues and avoided the copies at the very front, which tended to have small creases where in contact with the rack.

The amazing thing about the Hulk 181 and my other bronze purchases that survived in NM shape (and not all did) is how they survived moves from Philly to Chicago ('76), then Chicago to Los Angeles ('81), and finally Los Angeles to Philly ('85), all stored in boxes without any boards, the former move without any protection at all, and the last two with books 10 to a ziplock plastic bag. 893whatthe.gif Explains why my X-Men 94 is only an 8.0, my GSX 1 a 9.0, and some other keys (MS 5, for instance) are not even worth slabbing. The miracles are the 9.4s and 9.6s.

The pride and joy of my collection is my copy of Amazing Adventures 11 where the Beast first gets his fur. I am a big fan of the Beast and I have never forgotten the astonishment that I felt as a boy in 1972 when this book came out. I waited for years for Marvel to change him back before I realized that he was much cooler with fur!

Bruce Coller has my everlasting gratitude for hooking me up with a gem CGC 9.8 copy with white pages. Unfortunately, my scan is too big to post but I will email it to anyone or try to post a smaller scan if people want to see it.

I am still looking for Amazing Adventures 13 in 9.6 condition to complete my run of AA 11-17 books where the Beast appeared. You would make my collecting year if you have a copy that you would part with.

The pride and joy of my collection is my copy of Amazing Adventures 11 where the Beast first gets his fur. I am a big fan of the Beast and I have never forgotten the astonishment that I felt as a boy in 1972 when this book came out. I waited for years for Marvel to change him back before I realized that he was much cooler with fur!

Bruce Coller has my everlasting gratitude for hooking me up with a gem CGC 9.8 copy with white pages. Unfortunately, my scan is too big to post but I will email it to anyone or try to post a smaller scan if people want to see it.

I am still looking for Amazing Adventures 13 in 9.6 condition to complete my run of AA 11-17 books where the Beast appeared. You would make my collecting year if you have a copy that you would part with.

Here's worldsbestcomics' copy of Amazing Adventures 11, CGC 9.8:

AmazingAdv1198.jpg

hail.gif Sweet Book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You guys are going to make Bruce cry. I'm sure it was very tough for him to let this one go.

Has anyone read this book ? From the cover it looks like Hulk can withstand the scream of the Black Bolt ? That can't be true...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

p.s. Congrats on the purchase btw ! thumbsup2.gif

Haven't read this issue either but judging from the cover it looks as if Black Bolt is just starting to scream and the Hulks just about to use his fist as a cork! tongue.gif

Has anyone read this book ? From the cover it looks like Hulk can withstand the scream of the Black Bolt ? That can't be true...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

p.s. Congrats on the purchase btw ! thumbsup2.gif

Haven't read this issue either but judging from the cover it looks as if Black Bolt is just starting to scream and the Hulks just about to use his fist as a cork! tongue.gif

Did a quick page-through of the ish (I'm home writing still another grant application), and the story very briefly can be summarized as follows:

- Hulk is brought to the Great Refuge as Dr. Banner, and as guest of Black Bolt

- He turns into Hulk, gets angry, and starts to rampage

- None of the other Inhumans can stop him (some good battle panels here with Karnak and the others)

- Black Bolt cannot stop the Hulk using his other powers, and so he utters a faint whisper, causing himself to collapse in agony and parts of the Great Refuge to crumble.

- Hulk is physically resistant to the utterance, except for the very intense ringing in his ears, which drives him to unconsciousness (kinda like if he had attended Oz-Fest. grin.gif)

- He is imprisoned in the refuge

- The ish ends with Betty lamenting on the whereabouts and safety of her ill-fated ex-lover

Pretty standard fare for the Behemoth of the Bronze Age.

- Black Bolt cannot stop the Hulk using his other powers, and so he utters a faint whisper, causing himself to collapse in agony

Interesting, so Black Bolt isn't immune to his own power? So if he ever really let it rip, he would probably destroy himself too... Truly the most powerful character in the Marvel universe. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Interesting, so Black Bolt isn't immune to his own power? So if he ever really let it rip, he would probably destroy himself too... Truly the most powerful character in the Marvel universe. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not if the Hulk was wearing earplugs! smile.gif