• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling Comics to Lone Star / MCS

121 posts in this topic

I was wondering how many of you have had experience selling books to Lone Star Comics aka MCS.

I did a few years ago and found their grading to be a little strict, about a third of the books I submitted as NM they graded as VF. A couple weeks ago I noticed they were offering decent money for a few different book so I put together 50 books to send to them. I looked them all over before shipping. I had about 75% as being NM. They were all shipped bagged and boarded and some were right off the rack, never read, pristine copies. Anyone want to take a guess as to how many of the 50 comics they graded out as NM?

I was going to guess none as well

I have sent close to 1000 books over the years.

Not sure if I ever got a book graded better the F by them.

They claim to sell at the same grade they buy at, But a handful of books that I received back as a trade were not even within overgraded by at least 2 grades.

Also remember that their want list changes at least daily. I have had the experience of books that should have gone for $% getting offered 10 cents for because the book fell of the list between pulling and finalizing

My guess is that MCS graders look at a book and if its not 9.8 in stature, it then goes to a VF and then FN.

Sure its fustrating but you have to understand how to deal with your books and what and when to ship to MCS.

If you got slam dunk 9.8s, send them prescreen to CGC. Send the rejects to MCS. Also like to point out that you can have the books sent back. I have yet to do this. I just keep rolling. I send several long boxes to MCS each month. They keep sending me checks. :cloud9:

Another story among many:

I bought a raw silver age book from MCS back in 2012 that they graded as a VG+.

About 6 months ago, I sold that book here on the boards as a raw VG/FN, because the book looked better than a VG+ to me, and I thought VG/FN was still a conservative grade.

I watched that book sell here today in a 7.0 CGC slab.

:D

Another story among many:

I bought a raw silver age book from MCS back in 2012 that they graded as a VG+.

About 6 months ago, I sold that book here on the boards as a raw VG/FN, because the book looked better than a VG+ to me, and I thought VG/FN was still a conservative grade.

I watched that book sell here today in a 7.0 CGC slab.

:D

But was there any work done to the book prior to submission?

I think the biggest thing to remember here is that the majority of the buying public are NOT on the CGC forums, and they grade strict because they have to. Sadly the majority of buyers are loonie-toons, and I'm sure at one time MCS did grade accurately and were constantly burned by it. They call something a 9.4 (back in the day), and the buyer thought a 9.4 should look like a 9.8. The battle begins, MCS takes a kicking on any number of comic book forums, which leads in time to being so tight at least we now KNOW, you grade a book 9.2, they will grade it 8.5 (or 8.0, or lower, etc).

I've gotten totally used to it, and I still send them stacks of books all the time.

But no, you won't get the grades you think when sending to them, they take books you might try to sell for years though. For me, that makes them worthwhile.

Jay

About 4 or 5 years ago I sold some books back to them which I had just bought a year or two previously (I was trying to put together a Miracleman run, but had to sell them off to pay bills). Bags were never opened so the books were untouched since I received them and they still had the MCS label with the grade on the back. They disputed the grades on several of the books and knocked them down a few pegs. When I complained to customer service that I was sending the books back in the same condition as when I bought them, the rep told me the grades were right as they (customer service, not the grader) could clearly see several color-breaking stresses on the front cover. Still bitter about that as it cost me a pretty decent amount of money. I had sold books through them several times before and actually found the service fairly convenient, but I was ruffled enough by this that I quit selling through them.

Stories like this are why I never sell to LCS.

+1

Not to mention they don't care to realize how much they are squeezing you to make their own profit.

I've never sold books to them but have purchased boat loads. Yes, a few came to me that were lower grades then what they were advertised for but I'd say 95% were spot on. Also feel their pricing is fair.

Yep. For years I didnt buy from MCS cause I thought wow if that book is that much what must the condition be on the book I'm looking at that's reasonably priced?