• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long is too long to wait for a commission?

65 posts in this topic

Hi all. I bought a commission in July 2015 and I still haven't received it. I've gotten a lot of "there's a few before you" and "it'll be done soon"...how long is too long to wait? What options do I have? I can't get a refund from PayPal and it was paid from my balance so no credit card company help. I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts anyone might have.

Thanks,

James

wait tolerance is totally up to you.

for me it depends on what was communicated at the onset, what the payment arrangements were, what the price point is, and how badly I want the piece.

in general though, I'm sticking with less than 180 days so I can still be in the paypal refund window.

I avoid these issues with my artists who run their commissions through me, by not having someone pay upfront. Too many artists us a 'best case scenario" attitude with their commissions. This always leads to trouble. By our not having you pay until completion, artists don't have to sweat any of the issues of life getting in the way of the drawing board. And a commissioner doesn't have to sweat their money, since they don't pay until it is done. Saves a lot of wasted drama, hurt feelings, and general bad things.

Patience is subjective. I believe a steadfast rule would be, when you commission something, set a promised due date. Then add 3 months to that date's expiration as what should be perceived as "too long", if payment was made.

If payment is not made, and the artist puts you on a list, then "too long" would probably be just around the time the artist passes away. In those scenarios, truth be told, the artist doesn't owe you anything and it's nice to be in a position to possibly get a piece during their free time and inspiration, but if it doesn't work out, you're none the worst for wear nor financially impacted.

If payment is not made, and the artist puts you on a list, then "too long" would probably be just around the time the artist passes away. In those scenarios, truth be told, the artist doesn't owe you anything and it's nice to be in a position to possibly get a piece during their free time and inspiration, but if it doesn't work out, you're none the worst for wear nor financially impacted.

Precisely one of the main motivating factors in why I do it that way with my artists. (thumbs u

I have been waiting 8 months for my prepaid commission and have seen the artist take on new commissions and complete them before mine. I'm confident he will get it to me, but not sure when. In our recent communication he stated that he has just been put onto a new book and needs to complete his work for that first, which is understandable. One thing I can say is that he at least responds back every time I contact him. With artists I have heard people waiting 3 years for their commissions, but eventually receive them. You have to go with what you are comfortable with and what you feel is reasonable.

Too many unknown variables for me to answer this question. For me, it depends on how the commission was set up as I think it is very important to have a very clear discussion on expectations before proceeding with a commission.

Can you provide some details? Did you pay up front? Partial up front? Did the artist provide you with an expectation on how long it would take to complete? How have the communications been with the artist? Etc.?

I've been waiting 14 months now on a prepaid commission. I know the artist well and he lives nearby. He's had his plate full a lot of comic work during that time and he's been sick as well. the last I talked to him, he was still willing to give me a refund if I asked. I told him I would rather have the art.

I also have an inking commission that is going on 19 months. It's not pre paid and I ask how it's coming along each time I see him. The last time I saw him was at Wondercon and asked if he could get it done by this September in time for LBCC. He said to remind him about a month before and he would probably be able to get it done. That would be right around 2 years.

Yeah, it's all up to the individual and if there was an agreed upon time.

As a collector, and then a rep, I've gone through many a painful situations, which resulted in me implementing a 60 Day Commission Guarantee. While I take the payment up front, the artist doesn't get it until the piece is finished. I tell my artists not to take on a commission if it can't be done in 2 months. If after 60 days there isn't a commission, the buyer has the option of complete money back, or extend it a 2 week window.

It has worked so much better this way, and almost no headaches.

And I don't have any.

Also, I've never been ripped off by a commission artist.

I'll stick to collecting published pages.

The golden rule is not to pay all your money up-front (yeah, I know this is often said). A small deposit should prove sufficient to indicate your willingness to see the deal through and I'd find it highly-suspect to encounter any artist insisting on full-payment beforehand (I'd only go with that idea if the artist's reliability was 100% endorsed by other collectors).

Many popular artists refuse to take money up front. It's probably the safest way to go for them and the collector. If someone wants a deposit and is unable to give an ETA, I would avoid consigning them.

I have only ever had one commission done and it took him 3.5 years to do it. I love the piece but decided not to ever do a second one. If it was done in a Timely fashion I would have had him do many more for me.