• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need references on Albert Moy

93 posts in this topic

I totally forgot how Gene Colan used to fold his commissions to fit them in the priority mail box. Not creasing them, just having them pressed loose against the box. Insulated with a ton of cigar smoke.

Mine was a splash page from DD...I think he was fighting Doom on it. I 'd have to check. It's been a long time. Only one side got a crease to it, but the whole thing got the cigar-coating.

I thought I'd heard 'em all; that's one hobby story I never heard. And I even collect GC!

I totally forgot how Gene Colan used to fold his commissions to fit them in the priority mail box. Not creasing them, just having them pressed loose against the box. Insulated with a ton of cigar smoke.

I bought a $2000 18x24" cover from a very well know artist who managed to fit it in a standard FedEx box with no other protection. It mostly flattened out eventually.

I think Tony Moore shipped my WD #2 page the same way but it was 11x17 so at least it fit in the box and only got soft corners from banging around in there.

I am still looking to make my very first purchase, so as you can image, I am really anxious. But rather than buying a bunch of budget pages here and there, I really want to get something from him since he is my favorite artist. The only problem...they are quite expensive.

Really appreciate any help you can provide!

I'm one of the few it seems, but I've had what I would call negative experiences with him in the past. He never once came through on a sale when I would add a piece of art to my cart. His checkout system seems to be built in such a way that he can select whomever he would prefer to purchase the art. Or maybe it's simply to avoid multiple purchases for the same piece. You can go to his website now, add something to your cart and send the checkout request, and he may or may not ever get back to you. On several occasions I attempted to purchase more than one of Bruce Timm's Harley Quinns. The pieces appeared on his site for weeks afterwards, and Albert wouldn't reply when I asked if (or why) they were still listed. What's up with that? I don't know. I find it really bizarre that someone would totally ignore you. It's the worst thing you can do. All that said, Albert has a lot of great art. I don't know him personally, but based on my experiences, I simply don't like the way he does business. So, well, I don't (and won't) purchase anything from him. I do however hope you have better fortune and get exactly what you want. Finding a piece you really want is the bees knees. :)

I am still looking to make my very first purchase, so as you can image, I am really anxious. But rather than buying a bunch of budget pages here and there, I really want to get something from him since he is my favorite artist. The only problem...they are quite expensive.

I'm one of the few it seems, but I've had what I would call negative experiences with him in the past. He never once came through on a sale when I would add a piece of art to my cart. His checkout system seems to be built in such a way that he can select whomever he would prefer to purchase the art. Or maybe it's simply to avoid multiple purchases for the same piece. You can go to his website now, add something to your cart and send the checkout request, and he may or may not ever get back to you. On several occasions I attempted to purchase more than one of Bruce Timm's Harley Quinns. The pieces appeared on his site for weeks afterwards, and Albert wouldn't reply when I asked if (or why) they were still listed. What's up with that? I don't know. I find it really bizarre that someone would totally ignore you. It's the worst thing you can do. All that said, Albert has a lot of great art. I don't know him personally, but based on my experiences, I simply don't like the way he does business. So, well, I don't (and won't) purchase anything from him. I do however hope you have better fortune and get exactly what you want. Finding a piece you really want is the bees knees. :)

That sucks to hear. I've had several interactions with him and they all went fine. I do find that if you try to engage him in a topic or purchase request that was not part of the original agreement you will get crickets though. I'm not the only one who has had that experience, so he either doesn't have the time or, sadly, interest to go further than what was initially purchased.

However, if you go to a show and talk to him there, he's pleasant to talk with and you can ask him tons of questions on everything you are looking to buy and he's pretty good to work with in that regard. However do not expect to get any bargains or deals out of him in person unless you are really good at negotiating.

That just doesn’t make sense. Why would someone not reply to a request to buy a listed piece of art for the listed asking price? Something doesn’t add up in this picture.

I was told eventually by a third party that the art was already sold and Albert didn't have time to reply to 2 emails and a phone call.

Ponyboy had a very public spat with Albert (when he tried to flip art he hadn't actually acquired yet IIRC) which may partially explain this. Or not. Speaking from my own experience with Ponyboy, he's made it onto my BWOT (Big Waste of Time) list, and any orders he places on my site will get deleted.

I'm one of the few it seems, but I've had what I would call negative

However, if you go to a show and talk to him there, he's pleasant to talk with and you can ask him tons of questions on everything you are looking to buy and he's pretty good to work with in that regard. However do not expect to get any bargains or deals out of him in person unless you are really good at negotiating.

Not completely true here either. My experiences with Albert were in person at Wondercon, back when it was in SF, and the first year I was fairly new to buying comic art and didn't have a big budget. I walked over to his booth and was looking through the folders of art and was pretty much ignored by everyone at his booth. I didn't end up buying anything and moved on. I figured that was a fluke and maybe bad timing, and went by his booth the following year, where I received the same, indifferent reception. I was the only one there and not a single person could be bothered to acknowledge me being there, though they were quick to jump up and acknowledge Erik Larsen when he walked up to their booth and started looking at stuff.

I figured I'd do better via e-mail with him and the following Monday, after the show, sent an e-mail saying I was interested in buying some pages of art that I had seen at his booth that weekend. His response pretty much consisted of that he wasn't going to sell them to me; which left me scratching my head because I would expect a comic art dealer to want to actually "sell" the art they had in stock.

Best I can figure is that the pages weren't high end enough for him to care, or I wasn't established enough in the art community to warrant his attention. Funny thing is that I've done several of these smaller dollar deals with other art dealers, had good experiences, and gone back to them to buy some art that was more expensive. I generally stay away from Albert though, which is a shame because he does have art by a few artists that I like.

Not completely true here either. My experiences with Albert were in person at Wondercon, back when it was in SF, and the first year I was fairly new to buying comic art and didn't have a big budget. I walked over to his booth and was looking through the folders of art and was pretty much ignored by everyone at his booth. I didn't end up buying anything and moved on. I figured that was a fluke and maybe bad timing, and went by his booth the following year, where I received the same, indifferent reception. I was the only one there and not a single person could be bothered to acknowledge me being there, though they were quick to jump up and acknowledge Erik Larsen when he walked up to their booth and started looking at stuff.

I figured I'd do better via e-mail with him and the following Monday, after the show, sent an e-mail saying I was interested in buying some pages of art that I had seen at his booth that weekend. His response pretty much consisted of that he wasn't going to sell them to me; which left me scratching my head because I would expect a comic art dealer to want to actually "sell" the art they had in stock.

Best I can figure is that the pages weren't high end enough for him to care, or I wasn't established enough in the art community to warrant his attention. Funny thing is that I've done several of these smaller dollar deals with other art dealers, had good experiences, and gone back to them to buy some art that was more expensive. I generally stay away from Albert though, which is a shame because he does have art by a few artists that I like.

Albert has a very "no-pressure" approach to people browsing the portfolios. If he knows you or you engage him in conversation he's not standoffish and won't ignore you. I think he's probably picked up over the years that people perusing artwork aren't looking for a "GAP" experience where someone follows you around asking if you want help finding something in your size, etc. lol

There are a few guys that go all "carnival barker" at anyone within ear shot of their booth. Touch a page and you'll hear, "Oh that's a hot artist" or "Pages from that title have been flying out of here lately" or some such other ploy...but you won't hear that from Albert. He lets everyone shop in peace, unless he knows you and knows you don't mind talking while browsing and then he'll engage.

I wouldn't take it personally at all. In fact, I would view shopping his portfolios in peace as a positive as opposed to the hard sell some art dealers lay on you.

In regards to "Negotiation" and the negativity towards dealers who don't.

I'd say this... think of these dealers are retailers, as they are.

If you were to go into a Macy's, Nordstrom's, Apple Store, Wal-Mart, Target, Safeway, Albertson's, McDonald's, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, or any store with a listed price, you'd probably never even think about an "or best offer" approach and take a look at the price listed and counter with a ..."how about $__.___?"

Where if you go to a retailer or service provider who doesn't list prices much like shopping in Mexico or at the Middle Eastern Electronics shops where the sales person sizes you up, starts high, hopes you'll bite and can drop close with discounts as much as 50% or even more less, leaving you questioning whether you truly did get a good price or not.

So, with Albert, you know that across the board his prices are "as is" with the exception of inventory that's been sitting for a while or if you purchase in bulk and you can talk about discounts, for the most part his pricing is much like many other retailers, "it is what it is" and is the price as marked.

It's a much better situation than dealing with folks like Coolines or other dealers who don't have static pricing and seems to be subjective. Many buyers hate negotiation, others find it a challenge and badge of honor.

I tend to like Albert's straight shooter approach, take it or leave it with no hard feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQRqAoT-2c

Albert has a very "no-pressure" approach to people browsing the portfolios. If he knows you or you engage him in conversation he's not standoffish and won't ignore you. I think he's probably picked up over the years that people perusing artwork aren't looking for a "GAP" experience where someone follows you around asking if you want help finding something in your size, etc. lol

There are a few guys that go all "carnival barker" at anyone within ear shot of their booth. Touch a page and you'll hear, "Oh that's a hot artist" or "Pages from that title have been flying out of here lately" or some such other ploy...but you won't hear that from Albert. He lets everyone shop in peace, unless he knows you and knows you don't mind talking while browsing and then he'll engage.

I wouldn't take it personally at all. In fact, I would view shopping his portfolios in peace as a positive as opposed to the hard sell some art dealers lay on you.

Exactly. Albert and his booth crew pretty much leave you be while you flip through a portfolio, If you say something to someone at the booth they will assist you right away and if they don't know the price they will get Albert over to you to talk $$.

And the email reply doesn't shock me. You would have been better off getting them at the show than via email. I can't attest to why he is like that but that's the way it is so you can either buy from him or ignore him is all I can say. I would definitely give him another try. He's nowhere close to off-putting as the Coollines guys are.

A few weeks ago I bought a low end piece form him: a Cassaday page from the XM / Alpha Flight mini. I used the cart option and everything was super quick.,with delivery to Italy after literally a couple of days. The item was USD200.

CArlo

In regards to "Negotiation" and the negativity towards dealers who don't.

I'd say this... think of these dealers are retailers, as they are.

If you were to go into a Macy's, Nordstrom's, Apple Store, Wal-Mart, Target, Safeway, Albertson's, McDonald's, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, or any store with a listed price, you'd probably never even think about an "or best offer" approach and take a look at the price listed and counter with a ..."how about $__.___?

That would be valid, IMO, if comic art were priced along the lines of a pair of jeans or a nice steak dinner. But this hobby isn't for paupers. I see it more akin to buying a big ticket item, like a car or house (let us face it, there are more than a few pieces in the last 10 years that have sold for as much as one would cost you). Do you just pay the sticker price on those? Or do you negotiate and try to make a bargain, considering the large amount you will be spending? To me, comic art has become much the same thing. It's really no different from fine art, nowadays, both in price and its commodity aspects. Thus, negotiations would seem a logical thing to expect.

Speaking only for myself, I have to say how shocked I've been at how few "best offers" type negotiations I've actually had in this business. I do list a flat price, unlike others *cough*TheDonnelleyBros*cough*.... but I also have some leeway in price, that my artists allow me. I'm always open to working out a fine deal for all involved.

Many buyers hate negotiation

That's very odd. Since buyers have no problem speaking up to run someone down. But when it comes to talking business, or wheeling and dealing, suddenly they have nothing to say. The more I learn about this hobby/business, the less sense it seems to make. From dealers/reps who don't respond to inquires, overinflate prices, and shill bid their own auctions, to buyers who complain about such things, yet virtually ignore dealers and reps who don't do them and who have no problem running someone down, but suddenly have nothing to say when it comes time to negotiate on a price. This hobby defies every tenant of retail business I've ever learned. It's no wonder it's such a mess.

Ponyboy had a very public spat with Albert (when he tried to flip art he hadn't actually acquired yet IIRC) which may partially explain this. Or not. Speaking from my own experience with Ponyboy, he's made it onto my BWOT (Big Waste of Time) list, and any orders he places on my site will get deleted.

That's incorrect. I wasn't attempting to flip anything. What I was attempting to do was get enough collectors together in a financial pool so as to meet the 100k+ asking price Albert had put on an entire collection of art. But that's old hat.

Many buyers hate negotiation

That's very odd. Since buyers have no problem speaking up to run someone down. But when it comes to talking business, or wheeling and dealing, suddenly they have nothing to say. The more I learn about this hobby/business, the less sense it seems to make. From dealers/reps who don't respond to inquires, overinflate prices, and shill bid their own auctions, to buyers who complain about such things, yet virtually ignore dealers and reps who don't do them and who have no problem running someone down, but sudden have nothing to say when it comes time to negotiate on a price. This hobby defies every tenant of retail business I've ever learned. It's no wonder it's such a mess.

It is a strange market. I think partially because it is not commoditized like most others are. But then that's true of many hobbies, where emotions trump logic (at least sometimes) and the same thing isn't in every store, buyer's choice for convenience, price point, or both.

Meanwhile...I love negotiating. Even it doesn't up going my way. It's fun and a great way to get to know others better :)

This is not a business in the traditional definition. I think it gets construed as a business due to the large sums of money being tossed around and those that speculate on art as a financial investment. The fact is, it is not a business in any sense that I am aware of. It isn’t retail, it isn’t regulated in any way. It’s more wild west than wall street and that is why everybody seems to have their own set of guiding principles on how they move art. From what I have seen, most of the big players in the hobby do not do this as their sole/primary source of income – to me that is more of a hobby or a side interest than a business. I learned a long time ago to lower my expectations regarding business practices, customer service, etc. as you just don’t know what you are going to encounter when engaging someone for a possible art acquisition. I have also found some really great people in this hobby – it’s all over the map from my experience.