• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need references on Albert Moy

93 posts in this topic

Hey everyone -- sorry! I've been blasting this forum recently. As mentioned in another thread, I've been hunting for some Jim Lee OA, and I came across Albert Moy's website. A few important questions:

1) Has anybody ever bought pieces from him in the past? And was it a smooth transaction? It sounds like he is a middle-man for Jim Lee.

2)Would you say his prices are generally fair?

3)Do you know if he is willing to work with you on price (or is he very firm)? Anyone try a bundle approach?

I am still looking to make my very first purchase, so as you can image, I am really anxious. But rather than buying a bunch of budget pages here and there, I really want to get something from him since he is my favorite artist. The only problem...they are quite expensive.

Really appreciate any help you can provide!

Albert is a good guy and one of the dealers that has been doing this for decades. He is the official Artist Representation for Jim Lee and many others, which means he is sort of a professional middle-man to buy from them directly.

1) I have bought from him many times over the years, both at shows and through his site and have never been disappointed. He makes sure everything is quick and easy, and responds to a purchase request by the next day at the latest.

2) His prices are on the higher side sometimes, but yes they are pretty fair and he really knows his market, especially for the guys he sells for.

3) He doesn't haggle much and is pretty firm on prices, in my experience. He doesn't really do trades either, unless he personally wants what you are offering. He will give you a better deal if you buy several pieces at once, again in my experience. I believe he also does take time payments on the larger stuff, kind of like credit to buy art, but I have never asked for sure and only heard that.

Other than Albert, there are some great auction sites that have very nice Jim Lee pieces in almost every large series they do, especially the Hush stuff lately. They would be Heritage Auctions, Comic Link, and Comic Connect. I suggest watching all 3 if you want nice, key pieces.

I hope that helps!

Albert is a good guy and one of the dealers that has been doing this for decades. He is the official Artist Representation for Jim Lee and many others, which means he is sort of a professional middle-man to buy from them directly.

1) I have bought from him many times over the years, both at shows and through his site and have never been disappointed. He makes sure everything is quick and easy, and responds to a purchase request by the next day at the latest.

2) His prices are on the higher side sometimes, but yes they are pretty fair and he really knows his market, especially for the guys he sells for.

3) He doesn't haggle much and is pretty firm on prices, in my experience. He doesn't really do trades either, unless he personally wants what you are offering. He will give you a better deal if you buy several pieces at once, again in my experience. I believe he also does take time payments on the larger stuff, kind of like credit to buy art, but I have never asked for sure and only heard that.

Other than Albert, there are some great auction sites that have very nice Jim Lee pieces in almost every large series they do, especially the Hush stuff lately. They would be Heritage Auctions, Comic Link, and Comic Connect. I suggest watching all 3 if you want nice, key pieces.

I hope that helps!

This was insanely helpful! Thanks for much for taking the time to provide your thoughts. Will definitely keep you updated on how things progress on my end.

Hey everyone -- sorry! I've been blasting this forum recently. As mentioned in another thread, I've been hunting for some Jim Lee OA, and I came across Albert Moy's website. A few important questions:

1) Has anybody ever bought pieces from him in the past? And was it a smooth transaction? It sounds like he is a middle-man for Jim Lee.

2)Would you say his prices are generally fair?

3)Do you know if he is willing to work with you on price (or is he very firm)? Anyone try a bundle approach?

I am still looking to make my very first purchase, so as you can image, I am really anxious. But rather than buying a bunch of budget pages here and there, I really want to get something from him since he is my favorite artist. The only problem...they are quite expensive.

Really appreciate any help you can provide!

I have been buying art from Albert for over 20 years (damn is it that long).Done many deals with him and never had an issue. He is pretty firm on prices but doesn't hurt to try and get a better deal. He is very easy to work with one of the best in the hobby.

I had the same questions about Albert when I started collecting 18 years ago. If you are in this hobby, you will know about Albert Moy eventually. He is Fair and very Professional. I've traded and purchased OA from him many many times. Simply the Best.

I wonder what Jim Lee thinks about him? hm:cool:

617.jpg

m.jpg

Albert is very reliable. One of the most reputable dealers. BUT, he does not ship well. I received a $1500 piece from him in cardboard, very poorly packed earlier this year. I am dumbfounded that so many people do not know how to ship. I should post the instructional PDF I created...

Every hobby needs rock-solid 'best practices' YouTube instructionals for packing. Imagine how good this would be to direct uninformed eBay sellers to as well.

Different hobbies, different media, require different treatment. Comics, books, comic art, paintings, posters/prints, statues/figures, etc etc. But I think video is the way to go instead of written instructions. Of course I've been thinking this for a while, but haven't actually made any videos! But maybe somebody else would like to run with the idea...

Albert has a great reputation – both as a solid dealer and a shrewd negotiator (read: don’t expect much of a deal from listed price). I have not bought from him but would have no reservations if he had a piece I wanted at the price he had listed. I have not heard the shipping concern so I would likely address that very specifically with him at the point of sale.

I love the best practices video. So much can get lost in translation when describing something (like packaging processes) on a post/thread. As art fans, many of us are visual learners so I see great potential in the video concept/idea (sounds like a good spin-off thread)

Every hobby needs rock-solid 'best practices' YouTube instructionals for packing. Imagine how good this would be to direct uninformed eBay sellers to as well.

Different hobbies, different media, require different treatment. Comics, books, comic art, paintings, posters/prints, statues/figures, etc etc. But I think video is the way to go instead of written instructions. Of course I've been thinking this for a while, but haven't actually made any videos! But maybe somebody else would like to run with the idea...

I'll do it. At least for comic art. Already have the PDF done which I always send out now. Give me a couple weeks as I have to ship out a piece at that time.

But yeah, to the OP, don't hesitate with Albert. Just send him the PDF I'll post in a new thread shortly :P

Thanks again for the input everyone! Not sure what I would do without this forum.

~~~~without this forum ? you would have lots of extra money :banana:

albert is one of the guys who have been selling since the cbg days. no problems there. jim sells all his new stuff through him. but like all older art....they are in various auction sites and other websites such as comicartfans. all my purchases from him have come at shows. ive never had him ship anything to me so i cannot comment about how he packs art. as for discounts ? :roflmao:

you know what they say.........you get what you pay for.

I'll do it. At least for comic art. Already have the PDF done which I always send out now. Give me a couple weeks as I have to ship out a piece at that time.

But yeah, to the OP, don't hesitate with Albert. Just send him the PDF I'll post in a new thread shortly :P

Great advice! I find it wise, on my first contact with an experienced dealer, to instruct them on how to do things. lol

What's the problem with his shipping? I've bought several things from him and never had a problem.

So he packs it between cardboard sheets... 90% of my collection was shipped to me packed between cardboard sheets.

I had the same questions about Albert when I started collecting 18 years ago. If you are in this hobby, you will know about Albert Moy eventually. He is Fair and very Professional. I've traded and purchased OA from him many many times. Simply the Best.

617.jpg

m.jpg

That is cool.

617.jpg

m.jpg

That is cool.

Though maybe it means he wishes he was dead?????

Great advice! I find it wise, on my first contact with an experienced dealer, to instruct them on how to do things. lol

Point made Chris. But have you had my experience - getting very expensive ($300+) art books shipped to you in...the cheapest (un)padded envelope Wal-Mart offers, no additional cardboard stiffener or bubble-wrap? I have. This from an antiquarian bookseller who's web site pats themselves on the back for having been in business since the 19th century. Or the other guy that shipped a 12lb hardcover in a box about 1/2" larger than the book all the way around with crumpled newspaper as fill, as was surprised when I complained that every single corner was crushed in...as that 12lb brick slid directly to the corner it was dropped on each time? He was a pro too, though I'm not sure if it was for centuries or not ;)

Seems nobody knows how to properly pack a valuable book these days except Amazon (themselves, not affiliates -100% I've bought from suck), Subterranean Press, InStockTrades, and IDW. They're all very good too. The rest I have a canned e-mail ready for, book comes in junk -out goes the e-mail for a partial or full refund. I've used that canned e-mail at least a hundred times the last several years. Same goes for posters/prints. Art less so as I've mostly been buying from HA and CLink, they know their stuff.

Messing with Moy may not be a good idea, but let's not get bogged down on one thirty-year-veteran (outlier) example...

Point made Chris. But have you had my experience - getting very expensive ($300+) art books shipped to you in...the cheapest (un)padded envelope Wal-Mart offers, no additional cardboard stiffener or bubble-wrap? I have. This from an antiquarian bookseller who's web site pats themselves on the back for having been in business since the 19th century. Or the other guy that shipped a 12lb hardcover in a box about 1/2" larger than the book all the way around with crumpled newspaper as fill, as was surprised when I complained that every single corner was crushed in...as that 12lb brick slid directly to the corner it was dropped on each time? He was a pro too, though I'm not sure if it was for centuries or not ;)

Seems nobody knows how to properly pack a valuable book these days except Amazon (themselves, not affiliates -100% I've bought from suck), Subterranean Press, InStockTrades, and IDW. They're all very good too. The rest I have a canned e-mail ready for, book comes in junk -out goes the e-mail for a partial or full refund. I've used that canned e-mail at least a hundred times the last several years. Same goes for posters/prints. Art less so as I've mostly been buying from HA and CLink, they know their stuff.

Messing with Moy may not be a good idea, but let's not get bogged down on one thirty-year-veteran (outlier) example...

That's who we are talking about him sending the PDF to. My point was, sending an "instructional PDF", as part of your first communication with an art dealer may not go as well as hoped. lol

That's who we are talking about him sending the PDF to. My point was, sending an "instructional PDF", as part of your first communication with an art dealer may not go as well as hoped. lol

Yeah. I think some of the new kids would be savvy to that, others may have to learn trial-by-fire style ;)

Yeah. I think some of the new kids would be savvy to that, others may have to learn trial-by-fire style ;)

I, personally, like to have a simple conversation with the guys I buy from. I let them know my expectations and I may share some of my horror stories of artwork that was ill-packed (John Byrne cover slipped into a mailed with no protection and turned into an accordion for example, Gene Colan folding a DD splash page in half so it fit into the priority mail box), and then make sure they are picking up what I am laying down.

That PDF may give off a more insulting vibe than was intended, that's all.