• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2022 at 5:14 PM, Terry JSA said:

I won’t say too much, but overall I really enjoyed it. It’s a pretty solid movie given its runtime of nearly 3 hours.

The cinematography is great, the camera work is great, and we’re given a Batman that actually feels as if he’s a real person and not just a fictional character.

Tell us more! @Bosco685 is taking forever. 

On 3/3/2022 at 5:58 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Tell us more! @Bosco685 is taking forever. 

I mean.. there isn’t much to say besides that. The soundtrack is great and you can tell that Matt Reeves pulled some of his inspiration from a few notable comic books. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, Bosco685 said:

Not THE BEST comic book movie ever. For me, not THE BEST Batman movie ever made like some critics are dismissing previous films because their memories last as long as the latest movie cycle.

Where do you place it in comparison to the three Nolan films?  That's my biggest question going into it, how it will compare to that trilogy.

I rank the Nolan trilogy as Dark Knight - Begins - Rises.  I'm hopeful this film fits between Begins and Rises, but we'll see if it's better than Rises.  I'll be shocked if it exceeds Begins, but if it does, great!  :popcorn:

I'll need to find a word stronger than "shocked" to describe whatever film eventually eclipses TDK.  I was a lump of jelly after that film was over.  I thought it would be good, but I was floored it was as good as it turned out to be.

Edited by fantastic_four

And I loved the war journals-approach where he takes you through all the Batman maturing and philosophy throughout. That was a really nice touch to make people come along for the Batman ride.

On 3/3/2022 at 7:28 PM, fantastic_four said:

Where do you place it in comparison to the three Nolan films?  That's my biggest question going into it, how it will compare to that trilogy.

I rank the Nolan trilogy as Dark Knight - Begins - Rises.  I'm hopeful this film fits between Begins and Rises, but we'll see if it's better than Rises.  I'll be shocked if it exceeds Begins, but if it does, great!  :popcorn:

• Batman Begins
  • The Dark Knight
  • The Batman
  • The Dark Knight Rises

I think because there is so much to take in with this 3-hour movie people may dismiss the level of details dedicated to the story to educate moviegoers about why Batman is so fanatical and how driven he is to do the right thing. Even when he knows it may hurt. And for sure Paul Dano was all-in on this role and makes it work wonderfully.

How did Dano's performance compare to Ledger's?

I rank Ledger second-best among villain performances across ALL films.  Anthony Hopkins as Lecter is first, Ledger second, Bardem as Anton Chigurh in "No Country For Old Men" third.

The truly transformational element with Ledger is he was the first Joker who didn't feel like a caricature of villainy.  I loved Nicholson's Joker a TON, but he was really hamming it up.  Ledger just looked nuts in that role.  Dano looks like he COULD be similar in the trailers, but we'll see.

I still feel Heath Ledger is top of the heap as the ultimate comic book villain.

But man did Paul Dano throw himself into this role and become the creepiest trickster as Riddler you could ever ask for. Everything was a twist and turn and still not fully revealed until the end.

Saw the movie yesterday. I think the 3rd viewing is the best but based on my 1st,  I would rate it on par with Rises : Tied for 3rd best; 4th if we can include Mask of the Phantasm. There were some excellent scenes and I really liked the Tim Sale like vibe. Dark and foreboding. 

Pros : Great casting especially Dano and Farrell. Beautifully shot and scored. We get to see a young Bruce Wayne growing into the role. And probably the first time we get to see his inner thinking and rationalising. Points for trying something new. 

Cons : Can't believe I'm saying this but it was too long. Definitely  could have made a tighter movie. There were really no outstanding/memorable scenes except for the car chase. No spoilers but 2nd half failed to live up to the 1st. 

Overall 3.5/5. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:36 PM, fantastic_four said:

How did Dano's performance compare to Ledger's?

They are very different. Giving an in depth answer as to why would be a massive spoiler. But I wouldn't compare the two as they are not being played in a similar antagonistic scenario. He does very well for what the story asks of him.

I just came back and wish I could talk to people about it for hours. Just because it does so many things right. It is soaked in the comics unlike any other live action Batman film before. That is both a pro and a con because then whenever something off from the comics comes into play then it feels and looks off. But in the end, you accept the vision of batman and of Gotham here. At least I did. 

My ranking of Best Batman films is hard to do since I just love them for different reasons and for different parts. They all offer something different. But I will say that I had almost no complaints about this movie.

Edited by William-James88

I just saw it tonight. In the moment, especially the beginning of the movie, I was feeling a little anxious for it to get moving - it was definitely a slow burn for me at first. But once I got out of my head and just took it in... man, they did some really cool stuff with this one. There were definitely things I didn't love, but as a Bat-fan, there were a lot of other things in there to love. I don't mean fan-service, more like it felt like some of my favorite comics come to life from a "feel" standpoint. It's hard to make that make sense, but there are just times in the movie where it feels like how a Batman story plays out in my head when I'm reading it. There were other times where it felt very much like watching a video game come to life, in a good way.

I don't think this is a spoiler; I'm just comparing it to other movies, but I'll put a spoiler tag just in case:

Spoiler

I got major Se7en and Taxi Driver vibes throughout as well.

Hard to talk about without spoilers, but overall I really liked this take. Dano was of course great too; reminiscent of There Will Be Blood for me. Ferrel was awesome - really, I felt like basically all of the performances were great. Still a little bugged by Pattinson's Bruce Wayne, but I got over that.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:00 AM, D84 said:

I know I'm gonna get shredded for this, but I thought it was pretentious and boring.

It could EASILY be cut into a two hour movie.

Thats cool, I want honest unbiased opinions. 

On 3/4/2022 at 2:02 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

Hard to talk about without spoilers, but overall I really liked this take. Dano was of course great too; reminiscent of There Will Be Blood for me. Ferrel was awesome - really, I felt like basically all of the performances were great. Still a little bugged by Pattinson's Bruce Wayne, but I got over that.

One could argue we never did see Pattinson's Bruce Wayne. Anyways, you and I definitel atched the same movie then, since I know exactly the feeling you were talking about.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:02 AM, ▫️ said:

Thats cool, I want honest unbiased opinions. 

How can it be unbiased, we are comic fans commenting on a comic forum. Everyone has a bias. I much preffer watching a review knowing what the person's bias is and that becomes far more helpful than anything else.