• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2022 at 3:03 PM, darkstar said:

Zack Snyder is capable of swiping panels from comic books and turning them into shots on the big screen and that is the only thing of which he is capable. He isn't a visionary, he just takes other people's visions and transfers them to a different medium.    

ok lol

On 3/8/2022 at 10:19 PM, William-James88 said:

Batman is my favourite fictional character and it's the one comic I will keep following my whole life. And I, personally, never cared for the idea of dichotomy since I don't think it's really there. The Bruce Wayne mask he puts on to the public is no different to the Matches Malone one on terms of representing him. Bruce Wayne and Batman are one and the same.

Two sides to the same coin, but they are not the same.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

That's an interesting statement. Nonsensical. But a statement nonetheless.

That's why all the studio heads that turned it down brought up 300 as a missed opportunity they still regret. Because it should have never been made?

Okay.

studio heads like money, doesn't mean it was a good film

On 3/9/2022 at 7:08 AM, darkstar said:

studio heads like money, doesn't mean it was a good film

I don't think you hear any of them talk about money: they discuss the visuals and story and how impactful it was.

Come on now. Don't just get lost in a strong dislike for Zack Snyder and miss out on reality. You are clearly forcing yourself to just dismiss his films and contributions just because.

Alan F. Horn who was the President of WB Studios at the time and admits in that video how he went through a tick sheet of all the reasons why he didn't want to do 300 - and was wrong.

But he doesn't give all the details. He went as far as to mock Zack Snyder having low-level actors lined up for 300, and yet Troy had a little actor named Brad Pitt. He noted later how that was not his finest moment in considering whether or not to approve a movie.

The guy must know something. Walt Disney later on begged him to come out of retirement again to lead Walt Disney Pictures, which oversees Pixar, Marvel Studios and LucasFilm.

On 3/9/2022 at 6:11 AM, Bosco685 said:

I don't think you hear any of them talk about money: they discuss the visuals and story and how impactful it was.

Come on now. Don't just get lost in a strong dislike for Zack Snyder and miss out on reality. You are clearly forcing yourself to just dismiss his films and contributions just because.

I didn't watch the Youtube video you posted as it serves no purpose. 

What reality? Snyder makes bad movies. That is reality. He's a music video director incapable of making a competent feature film. You get three to five minutes of a functioning narrative and then his movies flatline. If he was some sort of visionary he would be in control of the entire DC movie catalog. Instead he was banished to Netflix to make even worse movies from new IPs. If I had some sort of irrational hatred for the guy I would've trashed him in the various threads for his movies during my time here...and yet I haven't. I already said Dawn of the Dead was good, but Army of the Dead was terrible, another one his gems that can be turned off after the opening credits. 

On 3/9/2022 at 7:30 AM, darkstar said:

What reality? Snyder makes bad movies. That is reality. He's a music video director incapable of making a competent feature film. You get three to five minutes of a functioning narrative and then his movies flatline. If he was some sort of visionary he would be in control of the entire DC movie catalog. Instead he was banished to Netflix to make even worse movies from new IPs. If I had some sort of irrational hatred for the guy I would've trashed him in the various threads for his movies during my time here...and yet I haven't. I already said Dawn of the Dead was good, but Army of the Dead was terrible, another one his gems that can be turned off after the opening credits. 

No, it isn't. That's a personal opinion, which is a far cry from reality.

Directors are not the people you want in a Kevin Feige role. That comment is asinine.

Snyder left WB for Netflix. You don't even know what reality is. lol

:blahblah:

On 3/9/2022 at 3:30 PM, darkstar said:

I already said Dawn of the Dead was good, but Army of the Dead was terrible, another one his gems that can be turned off after the opening credits. 

We can agree on Dawn of the Dead vs Army of the Dead. But to say he makes bad movies in general? I thought Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, Man of Steel and his cut of Justice League were fantastic. As much as I would love a somewhat historically accurate telling of the Battle of Thermopylae, I have to admit that 300 was a hell of a popcorn movie. But Gates of Fire is WAY overdo. 

On 3/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, ▫️ said:

As much as I would love a somewhat historically accurate telling of the Battle of Thermopylae, I have to admit that 300 was a hell of a popcorn movie.

I find it weird that one of 300's major criticisms seems to be that it is historically inaccurate. While that's true, 300 is a comic book story after all. It was never intended to be fully-accurate.

I am not saying that you are criticizing it for this, but I have read that as a "negative" about the movie and the comic book series over the years.

I get it. You are committed to disliking something. Whether you watched it or not. Not that I can relate, as I at least want to hear and see something and its influences before passing judgment.

Admitting you ignored a short video interview with multiple actual studio heads who all agree 300 was the film they missed out on would be too counter to your viewpoint. But to insert what their motivations were before watching it seems so set on hating something it is missing out on reality.

Hate what you want. But you're missing out on this one (and others).

On 3/9/2022 at 8:06 AM, ▫️ said:

We can agree on Dawn of the Dead vs Army of the Dead. But to say he makes bad movies in general? I thought Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, Man of Steel and his cut of Justice League were fantastic. As much as I would love a somewhat historically accurate telling of the Battle of Thermopylae, I have to admit that 300 was a hell of a popcorn movie. But Gates of Fire is WAY overdo. 

On 3/9/2022 at 8:29 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I find it weird that one of 300's major criticisms seems to be that it is historically inaccurate. While that's true, 300 is a comic book story after all. It was never intended to be fully-accurate.

I am not saying that you are criticizing it for this, but I have read that as a "negative" about the movie and the comic book series over the years.

Frank Miller on his 300 story intent to take it down to the individual character level (which we really don't have access to in history)

On 3/9/2022 at 4:29 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can’t imagine people taking it too seriously and faulting it for being anything more than a comic book take on an actual event. It was basically superheroes in red capes and fun as hell. But I was looking forward to Michael Mann’s take on it. I believe he was considering doing Gates of Fire. And had it been made, I would enjoy both versions in my collection.

Really enjoyed this movie. I would give the Art Direction and overall direction a solid A.

The city looked fantastic!!! Cinematography was also excellent. In the hands of another group this could have gone south.

A few hard hitting scenes; the scene where Batman looked at the kid who's father had just died, the cops fighting him in the police precinct, and the scene near the end with him helping load the person on the helicopter and the military behind him.

Minor gripes, a bit too close to Seven where they stole a few scenes almost line for line.

Another minor gripe is I wish the movie didn't pull its punches on gore. I felt like the movie was a bit nerfed.

Overall a strong B+ for me. Oh yea and I loved the chase sequence.

Edited by Rip

On 3/9/2022 at 6:39 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

No, it isn't. That's a personal opinion, which is a far cry from reality.

Directors are not the people you want in a Kevin Feige role. That comment is asinine.

Snyder left WB for Netflix. You don't even know what reality is. lol

Nobody leaves Warner Bros and the entirety of the DC Universe to go make Netflix originals zombie movies, so no he didn't voluntarily leave they got rid of him. 

And yes he makes bad movies, consistently. Literally nobody here can give any evidence of his "greatness". Visionary :facepalm: