• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2022 at 6:27 AM, skypinkblu said:

I felt like I watched the whole Gotham falling apart drowning thing on the TV show AND another movie...What bothered me about Pattison besides the fact I kept wondering how he could see with his dirty hair in his eyes, was that he was way to thin to be Batman...I liked the Commissioner, kept wondering what the heck they did to Colin Farrell...and Cat Woman was fine, but I just felt like I've seen the movie before. ..and if I'm wondering about the hair in his eyes, the movie didn't totally engage me...and I'm a huge DC fan and LOVE Batman.

Thats funny, I thought the same thing about his hair. I guess shampoo is his kryptonite. And as Bruce he does seem thin but suited up, he’s good. The suit must add ten pounds. When I see a shirtless Robert P I’m thinking, “I can take him.” I shouldn’t be thinking that.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:34 PM, ▫️ said:

Thats funny, I thought the same thing about his hair. I guess shampoo is his kryptonite. And as Bruce he does seem thin but suited up, he’s good. The suit must add ten pounds. When I see a shirtless Robert P I’m thinking, “I can take him.” I shouldn’t be thinking that.

I watch those videos on YouTube once in a while. You'll get the guy that jumps in the ring with someone that has been doing this as a professional. Too funny!

Edited by Bosco685

On 4/24/2022 at 10:22 PM, skypinkblu said:

OK, watched the entire movie, but I must have dozed off during the 20 minute part in the beginning, that traumatized Kav, because I missed Cat/Chick/non person fights...

I wish they would stop doing his origin and put some color in these...and Christian Bale was much better.

I'm done now.

Now that right there is a fact. When I read on social media The Batman is the greatest ever you know this is probably a 12-14 yo posting that never experienced Batman Begins or The Dark Knight firsthand in theaters.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

I understand how you can allow yourself to get wrapped in a towel of indifference because a movie doesn't 100% match how you want to see a story told.

But in this case it was an Elseworlds story based on Hellblazer #41 through 46 (Dangerous Habits) where Constantine finds out he has terminal lung cancer. It also referenced the Jamie Delano Original Sins storyline from Hellblazer #1 through 9 involving Papa Midnite though in the movie he is more a middle ground character than a villain. So to say it was garbage you may miss these references.

But to each their own.

If you make Superman blonde with a British accent, you're not making an adaptation that fans can recognize at the surface level.

Superficial aspects are just the beginning as to why it's not a good adaptation of the source material, though. It's not the most important thing that they f**ked up, but it's the easiest way to show how unfaithful the movie is.

Batman can never really be seen as Hannibal Lecter-smart (in movies) because he already has plot armor. You can only have one or the other, otherwise your main character is more unbeatable than Superman.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus
Added, "(in movies)". He can be the smartest man in the world in comics because you can do more ridiculous things in the medium.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If you make Superman blonde with a British accent, you're not making an adaptation that fans can recognize at the surface level.

Superficial aspects are just the beginning as to why it's not a good adaptation of the source material, though. It's not the most important thing that they f**ked up, but it's the easiest way to show how unfaithful the movie is.

• Heaven vs. Hell
  • Lucifer, Archangel Gabriel, Balthazar the demon
  • John Constantine riding the middle as a chain-smoking, troubled yet powerful occult detective and warlock

Unfaithful? I have to disagree.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It was like fifth on the list of major f--ck-ups in that film- but it matters.

Even beyond the blonde and British thing, Keanu was miscast because he didn't play the character with the appropriate mix of world-weary arrogance and aloofness that is absolutely fundamental to Constantine's character. That's primarily a -script problem - but his acting didn't help matters.

Note: I had zero issue with Tilda Swinton's Gabriel, and actually thought the gender-blind casting there was inspired. Because she still conveyed Gabriel in ways that were true to the character we saw in Ennis's run.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bosco685 said:
  • Heaven vs. Hell
  • John Constantine riding the middle as a chain-smoking, troubled yet powerful occult detective and warlock

Thanos was in Infinity War, but the adaptation of his character was not faithful. Hopefully that concisely conveys the opposing viewpoint.

While most will see the differences in Thanos as a net positive for the MCU, I think that most Constantine fans would see the differences in his movie as a net negative.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bosco685 said:
  • Heaven vs. Hell

Right.

And Batman and Robin had:

• A Bruce Wayne who was incredibly intelligent & could solve absurd problems with his wealth
  • A rebellious teenage Robin
  • A novice Batgirl unsure of her place who slowly finds her footing as superhero
  • Super villains who threaten all of Gotham with their plan to (here freeze, rather than flood) the city.

In broad strokes, faithful.

But the execution was still absolute horse-shiiiiiit

On 4/25/2022 at 7:55 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Right.

And Batman and Robin had:

• A Bruce Wayne who was incredibly intelligent & could solve absurd problems with his wealth
  • A rebellious teenage Robin
  • A novice Batgirl unsure of her place who slowly finds her footing as superhero
  • Super villains who threaten all of Gotham with their plan to (here freeze, rather than flood) the city.

In broad strokes, faithful.

But the execution was still absolute horse-shiiiiiit

Go for the killshot: EVEN TRANSFORMER MOVIES MAKE MONEY

:roflmao:

On 4/25/2022 at 7:48 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Thanos was in Infinity War, but the adaptation of his character was not faithful. Hopefully that concisely conveys the opposing viewpoint.

While most will see the differences in Thanos as a net positive for the MCU, I think that most Constantine fans would see the differences in his movie as a net negative.

Was this at the latest Constantine fan convention where they elected you as a representative?

:baiting:

I think if Thanos was able to get you to show up at Avengers: Endgame 6x at the theater you may be forcing yourself to be very selective. But in the favor of the MCU since you went to see Captain Marvel 2x but Shazam 0x.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

Go for the killshot: EVEN TRANSFORMER MOVIES MAKE MONEY

:roflmao:

?

Non-sequitur and irrelevant deflection.

For someone who claims to be a fan (or at least, to have read both Original Sins and Dangerous Habits) I'm honestly baffled that you came away thinking the Constantine film was anything close to good.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bosco685 said:

Was this at the latest Constantine fan convention where they elected you as a representative?

:baiting:

I think if Thanos was able to get you to show up at Avengers: Endgame 6x at the theater you may be forcing yourself to be very selective. But in the favor of the MCU since you went to see Captain Marvel 2x but Shazam 0x.

I gave you the proper qualifier, "I think". (shrug)

Thanos wasn't the reason that I saw Endgame. Maybe DC shouldn't release movies like Shazam to fight movies like Endgame. They're going to lose that battle 6 times out of 6.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Non-sequitur and irrelevant deflection.

For someone who claims to be a fan (or at least, to have read both Original Sins and Dangerous Habits) I'm honestly baffled that you came away thinking the Constantine film was anything close to good.

Claim to be a fan? Nice try.

Go back over the years and read how much detractors and hate you have posted toward mediocre to average comic book movies. All for the sake of protecting the hobby. Even with your statements during BvS how you were going to ensure you protected other forum members from this movie.

Maybe. Just maybe. You are taking these films way to heart more than you should. Or you can hide behind I'M A HUGE FAN.

The more I think about it, the more I think was better than the Nolan movies. Nolan had a Batman with a finite mission, but you know Reeves Batman will never give up his crusade. I also loved this version of Gotham City. Not to mention the fights. No fast cuts, no editing the carp out of them. Just Batman kicking butt. Falcone is perfect. The mix of horror with the mystery comes right out of the 1939 pre-Robin Batman, and the O'Neill/Adams era. 

But I still love the Dark Knight trilogy, and Bale's take on a compassionate Caped Crusader will always have a.special place in Batman lore.

On 4/25/2022 at 4:36 PM, Larryw7 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think was better than the Nolan movies.

The Batman movie is not lean enough for me to even consider this. Same reason I cannot consider ZSJL to be better than MoS or BvS. The movie with the least fat will always be the best. (Let's be clear, though: Some fat is necessary.)