• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,098 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Batman said:

Variety   :facepalm:

The Guardian   :facepalm:

They never learn, do they?

Maybe Batfanboys who get angstered every time they cast a new Batman will never learn. I mean, all that hate's gonna take 10 years off your lives...

Robert Pattinson will be fine as Bruce Wayne/ Batman especially since it doesn't take a whole lot of range to play Bruce Wayne/ Batman.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Maybe Batfanboys who get angstered every time they cast a new Batman will never learn. I mean, all that hate's gonna take 10 years off your lives...

Nope... A poor casting choice is a poor casting choice. The discussion is about that, not the "fanboys". Is that you default argument to everything? The "fanboys"?

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Robert Pattinson will be fine as Bruce Wayne/ Batman especially since it doesn't take a whole lot of range to play Bruce Wayne/ Batman.

...And nope. That just demonstrates your lack of understanding of the character.

Nice try.

4 hours ago, Batman said:

...And nope. That just demonstrates your lack of understanding of the character.

Nice try.

Christian Bale did an interview for Batman Begins where he talked about the range required to transition from a damaged Bruce Wayne that also has to appear like a playboy to people around him, yet secretly is also a demonic beat to crime that must reflect back on a good heart.

So where the interviewer implied duality was involved, Bale talks to the multiple personalities required. And then going into The Dark Knight, how this even required new characteristics (same interviewer).

Interesting in that as part of that controlled, demonic side Bale notes how the Joker wanted to transition him even further requiring even more aggressive characteristics. Can Robert Pattinson pull it off as well? I have no idea at this point, as I have only ever watched him in the first Twilight movie. There are so many cheering this on out there familiar with his work, could there be something Reeves picked up on? hm

(shrug)

I want to hope. That's all I can do right now.

4 hours ago, Batman said:

Nope... A poor casting choice is a poor casting choice. The discussion is about that, not the "fanboys". Is that you default argument to everything? The "fanboys"?

:baiting:

Mainstream movie lovers know Robert Pattinson best as Edward Cullen, the vampire from the Twilight movies, but in the years since he broke the box office he's used his star power to land fascinating roles in edgy, challenging independent films. He's now arguably one of the most interesting actors of his generation, and now that he's reportedly been approved by Warner Bros. to play the new Caped Crusader in Matt Reeves' The Batmantrilogy, fans of the superhero should probably take another look at Pattinson's impressive career, and re-evaluate everything they think they knew about "That Twilight Guy."

Cosmopolis (2012)

Robert Pattinson exploded his image as a steely sex symbol with David Cronenberg's challenging and twisted drama, about a young billionaire who wanders New York City in his top of the line limousine, and over the course of one day falls desperately into self-destruction. Cronenberg's film is a damning treatise of soulless capitalism, and Pattinson's portrayal of a brilliant, tormented playboy is intriguingly despicable.

The Rover (2014)

David Michôd's dystopian thriller stars Robert Pattinson as Rey, a troubled American who falls in with a mysterious loner, played by Guy Pearce, who will stop at nothing to retrieve his stolen car against the lawless backdrop of the outback. Pattinson plays Rey like a sick puppy, dangerous and dependent, who seems likely to bite at any moment.

The Lost City of Z (2016)

Charlie Hunnam and Robert Pattinson explore the wilds of the Amazon in search of a mysterious, lost city in James Gray's acclaimed historical drama. Although it's Hunnam's film, and the actor reaped the accolades, Pattinson's turn in the film was transformative, with critics like The New York Times' Manohla Dargis saying he was "excellent" and "unrecognizable" in his role.

Good Time (2017)

Robert Pattinson received some of the best reviews of his career for Josh and Benny Safdie's crime thriller, about a bank robber who goes on the lam with his brother, who is developmentally challenged. The New Yorker called Good Times "an instant crime classic" and Hollywood Reporter compared Pattinson's performance to Al Pacino's iconic turn in Dog Day Afternoon.

Damsel (2018)

When we meet Robert Pattinson in Damsel, he's impeccably dressed in the Wild West, sporting a guitar and a wicked grin and a miniature horse named Butterscotch. He's on a mission to rescue his lady love, played by Mia Wasikowska, but David and Nathan Zellner's revisionist Western goes anywhere but where you expect it to, and Pattinson's hilarious performance is more textured and meaningful than it first appears.

High Life (2018)

Robert Pattinson's latest is an acclaimed sci-fi thriller from the incredible French filmmaker Claire Denis, about prisoners who are sent to the far reaches of space, towards a black hole, and subjected to scientific experiments. Pattinson's performance was once again acclaimed, with The Los Angeles Times singling him out as "an actor of brooding intelligence and remarkable physical grace."

Good Time and Cosmopolis seem to be the two many are pointing to as examples of how he will succeed as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I've never seen these films before.

hm

Edited by Bosco685

7 hours ago, Batman said:

Nice try.

Ha ha. Maybe they should have cast this guy. He seems to have a pretty good grasp of the character...

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

...Can Robert Pattinson pull it off as well? I have no idea at this point, as I have only ever watched him in the first Twilight movie. There are so many cheering this on out there familiar with his work, could there be something Reeves picked up on? hm ...

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

No and no :baiting:

If people were hating about Captain Marvel now we are going to see a new level of hate.

Comic book nerds anger maybe at 100 on the dial? Batman the most iconic super hero being played by a Twilight actor that women love? lol.

Let the fun begin.

Image result for pattinson batman memes

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I'm optimistic about Pattinson pulling this off.  I was one of the guys back in the late 80's that thought Michael Keaton as Batman was going to be awful.  Turned out I was wrong.  More than a few people on these boards thought Chris Evans would be a terrible Cap.  Dude ending up being a fantastic Cap.  No doubt this is a big gig for Pattinson and there is a lot riding on him hitting a home run here, so here's to hoping he does it.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

If people were hating about Captain Marvel now we are going to see a new level of hate.

Comic book nerds anger maybe at 100 on the dial?

I think the Captain Marvel hate was a different thing because it became a political and cultural war. I mean you had talk radio guys, right wing trolls, and Breitbart trying to bring down the good Captain. To no avail, of course.

With Batman, it's mostly disgruntled fans who think they know how to cast Bruce Wayne better.

54 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

With Batman, it's mostly disgruntled fans who think they know how to cast Bruce Wayne better.

This.

The more I think about it, the more I'm excited to see what Pattinson does with the role.

He's the type of interesting choice I was hoping for, rather than a boring/wooden type, (a la Armie Hammer).

And it seems like few -- if any -- of the distractors have seen much of his non-Twilight work.

That'd be like judging Anna Kendrick today purely for her work in Twilight, rather than for her stellar work in films like Up in the Air, 50/50, End of Watch or Pitch Perfect.