THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
15 15

3,097 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

(I was only joking), (Maggie may)is not (sailing), she is on a (downtown rain) with some (young turks)

Ok, you win. Here's your winners medal. I must say, you wear it well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that for a Batman movie to work that it has to be set in it's own Universe much in the way Gotham is set, no modern technology such a computers or Tablets Cellphones and such. The Batman has to be shown as a detective who uses brains as well as his brawn with the odd informer thrown in or him in disguise gathering the information.

 

   

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: "Quick" Debates and Secret Screen Tests: How Robert Pattinson Became Batman

Quote

Two weeks ago, a black jacket-clad Robert Pattinson faced flashbulbs and reporters at the Cannes Film Festival premiere of his period drama, The Lighthouse. When one guest approached him at the reception and said, “I heard you were the new Batman,” he offered only a sly smile and stayed mum.

 

In reality, Pattinson was not the Caped Crusader… just yet. Hours after his Cannes duties in designer duds, he would be on a plane to Los Angeles to face perhaps the biggest test of his acting career: putting on a Batsuit for director Matt Reeves, who is casting The Batman.

 

That test was officially passed Friday when it was announced by Warner Bros. that Pattinson had won the role. The decision was the culmination of an intense process that insiders describe as surprisingly quick. As opposed to most superhero casting efforts, which often include far-and-wide searches and dozens of screen tests for the likes of Superman or more recently, Spider-Man, the Batman process was notably smooth.

 

“It was a quick,” says one Warners insider. “Quicker than normal.”

 

Reeves, who was hired to write and direct a new Batman movie in February 2017, was envisioning actors while penning the -script, according to sources familiar with the filmmaker’s thinking. It helped that this new Batman needed to conform to a defined age bracket. He is written as around 30 years old, and the story is neither another re-hashing of his origin nor the tale of a seasoned crimefighter ruling Gotham City. He is Bruce Wayne still trying to find his footing on his way to becoming the genius detective.

 

This, of course, eliminated Ben Affleck, as THR first reported back in July 2017. (Affleck and Warner Bros. denied the recasting at the time because the actor, who had played the role in Batman v Superman and Justice League, was to have headlined his own standalone movie that was sidelined when the studio began rethinking its superhero strategy.)

 

Reeves is said to have considered Pattinson, 33, early on in the process, says one source, even though no outreach was made. Reeves didn’t even know if the actor wanted the part. Since Pattinson shot to fame as a heartthrob vampire in the Twilight films, he has built a solid resume in smaller, well-reviewed independent films like Good Time and Maps to the Stars. He has assiduously avoided big studio franchise films.

 

But that fact actually made him more attractive to Reeves and the executive team at Warner Bros. Specifically, Pattinson has not yet appeared in a Marvel Studios movie, and name-brand actors not working for the DC Comics rival are becoming few and far between. While there are no contract provisions prohibiting Marvel actors from appearing in DC/Warner Bros. movies and vice versa, execs believe that cross-pollination dilutes both brands and can cause confusion for audiences, especially from a marketing point of view.

 

Nicholas Hoult, 29, who became Pattinson’s chief rival later in the process, had been appearing as Hank McCoy, aka the Beast, in the X-Men movies. But Warners execs didn’t disqualify him because the X-Men flicks are not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, are ensemble in nature, and Hoult spent large chunks of those movies unrecognizable as a furry blue mutant.

 

Reeves is said to have spent hours poring over the two actors’ work and met with them in April. Pattinson has far more name recognition than Hoult, but it was his work in Good Time and High Life, among others, that Reeves kept on coming back to. Hoult, too, had impressed the deliberate filmmaker, known for his thought-provoking work on the Planet of the Apes franchise, with The Favourite this winter.

 

The two actors in short order became the only contenders, and during the week of May 20, when Pattinson flew in from Cannes, both shot screen tests in costume on the Burbank lot. Each had a pre-negotiated deal in place, ready to go into effect for whoever had the final contingency lifted, the screen test.

 

Pattinson and Hoult put on a suit from a previous Batman movie, as has become customary in the Bat-test process. (Christian Bale, before landing Batman Begins, performed his test in the suit used by Val Kilmer in 1995’s Batman Forever, for instance.) Did they embody the character? How did their eyes look and act? Is there a specialness to them? Those were the questions Reeves and the studio wanted answered.

 

“(Reeves) wanted very specific things,” says one insider. “He knew what he was looking for.”

 

Reeves and Warners execs took the week after Memorial Day to deliberate their choices, and by Thursday night, made the calls to the actors. The Batman who would lead the studio into the 2020s had been found.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Wonder who else (if anyone) Reeves had under consideration.  Neither Hoult (though I do enjoy his work as Hank McCoy) nor Twilight: The Batman Saga seems like even a decent fit on the surface.  Oh well, a donut with no holes is still a Danish.

Jake Gyllenhall was the one rumored top casting.

jakebat.jpg.869686d43527446af333cb25f45091b7.jpg

Then it turned out all the rumors of him meeting with Reeves were blogger fantasy.

Jake Gyllenhaal finally addresses the rumours that he's going to be the next Batman

Quote

We think that the star of Nightcrawler and Donnie Darko could also make an excellent Joker, but he was asked by CNA Lifestyle if he's going to play Batman.

 

"Wow, that’s a very difficult question. The answer to that question is no," said Gyllenhaal.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jake has openly mentioned that he didn't/doesn't want to portray a comic book hero because of their longevity. He accepted Mysterio on the premise, or expectation, that he won't be a prime character for multiple films.

I'm not sure he would be a good fit as Batman, but he can act.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Jake has openly mentioned that he didn't/doesn't want to portray a comic book hero because of their longevity.

That's not true. He was literally about a week away from replacing Toby Maguire on Spider-Man 2.

He also starred in Prince of Persia with the understanding it was the beginning of a franchise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

That's not true. He was literally about a week away from replacing Toby Maguire on Spider-Man 2.

He also starred in Prince of Persia with the understanding it was the beginning of a franchise.

I'm not aware of pre-MCU considerations. All I know is that he told Marvel Studios back in Phase 1/2 that he didn't want to play a comic book hero because of the commitment. Whether a person or career decision at the time, I have no idea of his motivation.

Is Prince of Persia a comic book?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Wonder who else (if anyone) Reeves had under consideration.  Neither Hoult (though I do enjoy his work as Hank McCoy) nor Twilight: The Batman Saga seems like even a decent fit on the surface.  Oh well, a donut with no holes is still a Danish.

I'd be okay with Hoult in the role too.

While it's hard to believe the kid from "About a Boy" could grow up to even be considered Batman, he's lost the ugly he had back then (and clearly had some dental work done as well).

He's also 6'3" and a good actor -- witness his role in The Favourite.

In addition, he dated Jennifer Lawrence for years, so he's got some level of charisma.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm not aware of pre-MCU considerations. All I know is that he told Marvel Studios back in Phase 1/2 that he didn't want to play a comic book hero because of the commitment. Whether a person or career decision at the time, I have no idea of his motivation.

Is Prince of Persia a comic book?

Umm...yeah.

It's common knowledge that Maguire held out during salary negotiations for Spider-Man 2, citing "back problems" from the first film.

In response, the studio fired him and hired Gyllenhaal.

Maguire then freaked out, got over his back problems and begged to be reinstated - which he was.

They then even made fun of the ordeal in a scene in Spider-Man 2, when, after a fall in an alley, he goes something like "Oh - my back."

Here's a good synopsis: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-may-11-ca-masters11-story.html

 

Prince of Persia was based on a video game and planned as a trilogy -- thus required a 10-year commitment by Gyllenhaal. Not a comic book movie, but goes to your comment about "longevity."

While it was the highest-grossing video game film upon its release, it wasn't profitable, so future films were scrapped. ($336 million worldwide vs. a production budget of $200 million).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...yeah.

It's common knowledge that Maguire held out during salary negotiations for Spider-Man 2, citing "back problems" from the first film.

In response, the studio fired him and hired Gyllenhaal.

Maguire then freaked out, got over his back problems and begged to be reinstated - which he was.

They then even made fun of the ordeal in a scene in Spider-Man 2, when, after a fall in an alley, he goes something like "Oh - my back."

Here's a good synopsis: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2003-may-11-ca-masters11-story.html

 

Prince of Persia was based on a video game and planned as a trilogy -- thus required a 10-year commitment by Gyllenhaal. Not a comic book movie, but goes to your comment about "longevity."

While it was the highest-grossing video game film upon its release, it wasn't profitable, so future films were scrapped. ($336 million worldwide vs. a production budget of $200 million).

I was in middle school during Spider-Man 2 and had literally no knowledge or interest in behind-the-scenes stuff. So, for you common knowledge, but for me it's something I never knew or cared about.

Prince of Persia could have been a factor why he didn't want to portray a hero for Marvel Studios, considering the time of that movie/franchise. I just remember him saying that he specifically didn't want to do that (at the time). IIRC, at the same time he did say he'd be interested in being a villain (for Marvel or DC), which is why the Mysterio announcement/reveal didn't surprise me at all.

The last time I remember reading anything about it was maybe 2015(?). Things change. I think Ledger also said he didn't want anything to do with comic movies, then he wanted to be Batman, and 'settled' for the Joker.

"Nothing lasts forever", said Romanoff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool DC event to celebrate Batman's anniversary along with supporting the USO in recognizing U.S. military service members.

'The Flash,' 'Black Lightning' & DC Comics Salute Our Heroes Without Capes

Quote

As part of Batman's 80th anniversary celebration, DC Comics teamed up with the United Services Organization and recruited an honorable battalion of talent to toured five military bases in Western Asia, including Camp Buehring, Camp Arifjan, Ali Al Salem, Camp Patriot and Al Jaber.

 

 

“It was an absolute honor to meet with brave service members that exemplify real life heroism,” said DC Chief Creative Officer, Publisher and comic artist Jim Lee in the official release about the trip. “These heroes inspire the world every day with their valor and commitment to freedom, the same courageous qualities that Batman has symbolized for eight decades. DC is extremely proud to have joined forces with the USO to deliver an unprecedented Batman experience to our troops.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Jake Gyllenhall was the one rumored top casting.

jakebat.jpg.869686d43527446af333cb25f45091b7.jpg

Then it turned out all the rumors of him meeting with Reeves were blogger fantasy.

Jake Gyllenhaal finally addresses the rumours that he's going to be the next Batman

 

With that huge toothy grin he'd make a better Joker which now makes wish he'd been cast as such in Dark Knight. That woulda been super weird to see him creeping over his sister and then blow her up.

26-jake-gyllenhaal.w700.h700.jpg

maggie.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
15 15