• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So it’s going to be a millennial  take on Batman Returns. Cool. The tone of the sets seem to take direct inspiration from Anton Furst’s sets of 1989 Batman.

Is that all you took away from this trailer? That's sad.

I was not a fan of the Robert Pattinson casting. That's the honest answer. After listening to Matt Reeves speak about his love of Bruce Wayne/Batman at DC FanDome and then this trailer, that view has drastically changed. This is a horror film including Batman as the detective helping Gotham PD attempt to solve who the serial killer is. I don't remember that theme from Batman (1989).

This is probably more of your 'DC vs MCU' rosy coloring of the world. Find another hobby.

51 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So it’s going to be a millennial  take on Batman Returns. Cool.

Other than having multiple villains like Batman Returns I’m not seeing any similarities. The tone of this movie leans more towards Seven to me. Initially I wasn’t thrilled with Pattinson being cast. I despised the Twilight stuff so much that it’s hard to shake his connection but I’m giving him a chance. This actually looks like it will be a detective movie. Still don’t like the suit but I love the car.

I like the suit other than the Bat-symbol. It doesn't really detract from it, much, but it doesn't enhance the look. I'd prefer it to stand out in a good way - as it has for me in the past.

I also find no similarities to Batman Returns. I'm not sure I see much Se7en in it, either, though.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

I like the suit other than the Bat-symbol. It doesn't really detract from it, much, but it doesn't enhance the look. I'd prefer it to stand out in a good way - as it has for me in the past.

I also find no similarities to Batman Returns. I'm not sure I see much Se7en in it, either, though.

I misspoke, I was referring to the emblem, I like the cowl. 

Well, I certainly hope this version of Batman doesn't turn the Riddler into a serial killer a la Jack the Ripper or Kevin Spacey. I cited Batman Returns because it's got basically the rest of the main board of Batman's Rogues Gallery in one movie and it's early in the Bat's career. And the set backgrounds totally look like they rebuilt the sets from 1989 Batman, for me the best Batman movie. It's not a knock for me. I'll see this in theaters if it's safe even though me and the general public have kinda moved on from looking forward to DC at the movies.

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, I certainly hope this version of Batman doesn't turn the Riddler into a serial killer a la Jack the Ripper or Kevin Spacey. I cited Batman Returns because it's got basically the rest of the main board of Batman's Rogues Gallery in one movie and it's early in the Bat's career. And the set backgrounds totally look like they rebuilt the sets from 1989 Batman, for me the best Batman movie. It's not a knock for me. I'll see this in theaters if it's safe even though me and the general public have kinda moved on from looking forward to DC at the movies.

No, they haven't. As the trailer says, "...do not lie."

11 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

"In my mind..."

The_Batman01.PNG.5025a6740c425c3ee4093bac518194d1.PNG

Am I the only one that wants to see Riddler as a serial killer here? Batman doing actual detective work to track him? Nah, let’s go with a green suit with question marks.

2 minutes ago, Grails said:

Am I the only one that wants to see Riddler as a serial killer here? Batman doing actual detective work to track him? Nah, let’s go with a green suit with question marks.

emotion01.gif.1a992ea10463a188f3f64dd444cdae85.gif

I very much want to see Batman in this horror story. It looks intense!

1 minute ago, Grails said:

The Riddler I know is bigger than that. Like Joker, it's about a psychological game with the Bat, not weird gratifications from continuosly exterminating people's lives. I don't know the movie's story but I just don't think serial killer is the right characterization for Edward Nigma. Maybe a smaller character like Crazy Quilt or something.

i dont watch trailers or previews. films are much more enjoyable, even lame ones, when i know nothing about them. give it a try.

saw the first planet of the apes remake with a friend years ago. when the gorilla jumped into the helicopter on the golden gate bridge, i turned to him to say how awesome that shot was. afterwards he told me he was envious of my excitement, since that scene had already been spoiled for him in the trailer. 

The Riddler I know is bigger than that. Like Joker, it's about a psychological game with the Bat, not weird gratifications from continuosly exterminating people's lives. I don't know the movie's story but I just don't think serial killer is the right characterization for Edward Nigma. Maybe a smaller character like Crazy Quilt or something.

Other than The Riddler beating his daughter to death in Batman 712 (2011)?

Is The Batman Trailer Setting Up the Riddler as a Serial Killer?

The Batman trailer reveals a new take on the Riddler that's new to the movies but that we've seen before in the world of video games.

If you’re wondering just where this delightfully dark version of the villain comes from, then you need to look no further than an entry into the popular Batman Telltale adventure game series that spawned a seriously twisted vision for the puzzle-loving rogue. 

Batman: The Enemy Within pits Bruce Wayne against a brutal version of the Riddler who kidnaps his victims and places them in his nefarious and deadly “Death Traps.” Imagine a Saw-style contraption but your fate is reliant on how good you are at decoding rhyming clues. The game more than sets a precedent for a grimmer and more murderous version of the villain than we’re used to.

It’s clear that The Batman is going to go a different route from what we’ve seen before and pitting a young Bruce Wayne against a burgeoning serial killer seems like a very new take. And it also fits with the more emotionally driven and tonally bleak story that Reeves explained was motivated by the murders that we saw in the trailer. It was really interesting to hear Reeves talking about how the killings are linked to a deeper corruption that runs through Gotham and its own history.

I think this is quite interesting and more impactful why a Batman operating outside the Gotham PD would make a lot of sense.

4 minutes ago, Rodey said:

I still can't believe that's Colin Farrell as The Penguin! That makeup is amazeballs.

I watched the trailer the first time and wondered who it was - and where is Colin Farrell. Then I watched it again and realized I missed him completely.

Even when he is in the car and yells out, "This guys is crazy!"