• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

emotion01.gif.1a992ea10463a188f3f64dd444cdae85.gif

I very much want to see Batman in this horror story. It looks intense!

The Riddler motif does lend itself well to a serial killer - leaving clues as to what he's going to do next and matching wits with law enforcement / vigilante trying to keep one step ahead a la many, many serial killers we've seen. It just seems kind of...commonplace for a Batman movie. The '90s gave us movie after movie of that sub-genre. It became tiresome even though some of the movies were quite well-done. I'll watch regardless (especially if I can get into a theater to see it), but it doesn't really wow me.

I'm personally not looking forward to any comic book movies, not nearly as much as I used to at least, but I recognize that people still want DC as much as people still want Marvel.

I won't say I'm "burned out"; I always thought Endgame would be my jumping off point, and Snyder's story was the only interesting one in their universe.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

people still want DC as much as people still want Marvel

Not true really.

Toddlers, TODDLERS, are looking forward to upcoming Marvel Studios movies. DC isn't on the radar. A friend of mine, who isn't a fan of comics and avoids comic book movies(Star Wars only), brought his 9 year old around. The kid immediately noticed my small collection of Marvel Studios Legends figures and asked to play with them. I asked who his favorite character was, and he said Dr. Strange. DR freakin STRANGE. I asked if he had another favorite while waving Captain Marvel in his face. He said Ant-Man is pretty cool. ANT-MAN. And neither of those characters were in my small collection.

Sorry, but Christopher Nolan is now a long time ago. DCEU kind of blew it by not capturing the public's imagination out the gate with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman was fine by herself, but it didn't do anything for the DC movie universe at large. It's the MCU that has captured the public's imagination. It's figuratively the new Star Wars and right now there's no comparison. I'm not saying DC can't play catch up and they have a small chance here in the next couple years.

IMO, consistent story continuity isn't in DC's DNA. Marvel, on the other hand, has been crushing consistent expanded story continuity amongst all their titles for 60 years going strong. DC is better off making strong quality movies that exist only for themselves and leave expanded continuity to the pros aka Marvel.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I asked if he had another favorite while waving Captain Marvel in his face

:roflmao:

"You want Captain Marvel!"

"No!"

"Yes you do. She is going to be THE lead character of the entire MCU and you will see every kid in the world will proclaim her amazingness and power and there will be billboards throughout the globe with this message and..."

"NO!"

:baiting:

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not true really.

Toddlers, TODDLERS, are looking forward to upcoming Marvel Studios movies. DC isn't on the radar. A friend of mine, who isn't a fan of comics and avoids comic book movies(Star Wars only), brought his 9 year old around. The kid immediately noticed my small collection of Marvel Studios Legends figures and asked to play with them. I asked who his favorite character was, and he said Dr. Strange. DR freakin STRANGE. I asked if he had another favorite while waving Captain Marvel in his face. He said Ant-Man is pretty cool. ANT-MAN. And neither of those characters were in my small collection.

Sorry, but Christopher Nolan is now a long time ago. DCEU kind of blew it by not capturing the public's imagination out the gate with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, and Suicide Squad. Wonder Woman was fine by herself, but it didn't do anything for the DC movie universe at large. It's the MCU that has captured the public's imagination. It's figuratively the new Star Wars and right now there's no comparison. I'm not saying DC can't play catch up and they have a small chance here in the next couple years.

IMO, consistent story continuity isn't in DC's DNA. Marvel, on the other hand, has been crushing consistent expanded story continuity amongst all their titles for 60 years going strong. DC is better off making strong quality movies that exist only for themselves and leave expanded continuity to the pros aka Marvel.

It is true, though.

Have you heard of DC Fandome...?

Nice anecdote. That's not empirical evidence.

Every time I think you couldn't be any more wrong, you really surprise me.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Oh man, DOCTOR STRANGE is someone's favorite character! It's not like people whose favorite is CYBORG, FREAKING CYBORG, were unsatisfied with MCU Legend Joss Whedon's treatment of the character!"

Confirmation bias is not your friend.

"And the man kept sticking an action figure in my face..."

emotion01.gif.b3bf02afbabb9cb29d055090800bd6c7.gif

If "toddlers" (LOL) wanna watch the MCU, I think that's all you need to know about how 'deep' [shallow] those movies typically are.

I'm fine with Worlds of DC being catered to adults with ideals that make you think.

I like both cinematic universes, though, because I'm not a puppet. They both offer different avenues of entertainment. I don't understand why some people have to make things so polarizing. There is a middle ground. A moderate method of analyzing these things.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Can you believe that my favorite X-Men hero, when I was a kid, was Cyclops!? Freaking Cyclops!

A C-list superhero if there ever was one!

Eh, Cyclops isn't that bad.  I mean his power is pretty cool (Laser blast eyes!).  I just think the writers going back at least as far as Clairmont made him a "whipping boy" for pretty much every one else and it stuck.  

3 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Eh, Cyclops isn't that bad.  I mean his power is pretty cool (Laser blast eyes!).  I just think the writers going back at least as far as Clairmont made him a "whipping boy" for pretty much every one else and it stuck.  

I'm just mocking the idea that Doctor Strange (or Ant-Man - an OG Avenger) is some sort of "nobody". He's a major character in Marvel Comics. His movie is great. Being a kid's favorite character is completely unsurprising to me.

Where would the MCU be if either of these two had failed? I need to find the article breaking down the ripple effect. The ball started rolling in 1978 while the first successful film based on a Marvel character wouldn’t emerge until 1998 with Blade. They better knock it out of the park with Blades return. 

0BAD0797-4AC7-4D53-8634-9FFEEBA095E4.jpeg

D45B131F-9F98-4AA0-9C0E-98C7D2FAA27D.jpeg

Edited by Grails

One thing I forgot to mention about the trailer is that I’m actually excited for the first time about... Commissioner Gordon? Wright is really channeling the character for me. I hope a great role is written for him. I used to be turned off at changing the race of established characters but clearly if an actor can own it then so be it. My former attitude stemmed from the Wild Wild West remake with Will Smith based on a show I grew up with. It was just simply a bad movie and no actor was going to save it.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If "toddlers" (LOL) wanna watch the MCU, I think that's all you need to know about how 'deep' [shallow] those movies typically are.

I'm fine with Worlds of DC being catered to adults with ideals that make you think.

I like both cinematic universes, though, because I'm not a puppet. They both offer different avenues of entertainment. I don't understand why some people have to make things so polarizing. There is a middle ground. A moderate method of analyzing these things.

When I said "toddler", I actually meant kids like my friends's 9 year old. Obviously, responsible parents aren't taking their 4 year olds to PG-13 MCU films en droves.

On the other hand, I sometimes have MCU conversations with my partner's 63 year old boss (a lady) who is a hardcore MCU fan and whose favorite movie is Guardians of the Galaxy. She knows zilch about the comics but she and her husband are hardcore MCU. She does hate Tony Stark because she thinks he's a d---bag. Anyway, that's kind of the magic of the MCU. Like Star Wars, they've figured out how to appeal to kids, teens, adults, older adults, and comics fans.

And when I compared MCU to DC's current movie status, I'm simply making an observation from the point of view of the general public, not hardcore Snyder-cut fans or lifelong Marvel/DC comics collectors. If I asked the 9 year old or our 63 year old friend what they thought about the upcoming Snyder cut or DC Fandome, they'd look at me funny.

Edited by @therealsilvermane