• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Grails said:

Where would the MCU be if either of these two had failed? I need to find the article breaking down the ripple effect. The ball started rolling in 1978 while the first successful film based on a Marvel character wouldn’t emerge until 1998 with Blade. They better knock it out of the park with Blades return. 

I'm not denying the past dominance of Batman and Superman at the cinema and on TV. I'm just saying right now, the general public doesn't really care. It's Marvel who has captured the world's imagination. Darkseid who? Meanwhile, Thanos memes abound everywhere.

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

When I said "toddler", I actually meant kids like my friends's 9 year old. Obviously, responsible parents aren't taking their 4 year olds to PG-13 MCU films en droves.

Of course, I sometimes have MCU conversations with my partner's 63 year old boss (a lady) who is a hardcore MCU fan and whose favorite movie is Guardians of the Galaxy. She knows zilch about the comics but she and her husband are hardcore MCU. She does hate Tony Stark because she thinks he's a d---bag. Anyway, that's kind of the magic of the MCU. Like Star Wars, they've figured out how to appeal to kids, teens, adults, older adults, and hardcore comics fans.

And when I compared MCU to DC's current movie status, I'm simply making an observation from the point of view of the general public, not hardcore Snyder-cut fans or lifelong Marvel/DC comics collectors. If I asked the 9 year old or our 63 year old friend what they thought about the upcoming Snyder cut or DC Fandome, they'd look at me funny.

Except that you aren't, because your perverted perception doesn't allow for an unbiased assessment of the general public. You think that anecdotes prove all. You literally prove this point in your following sentence.

I'm not denying the past dominance of Batman and Superman at the cinema and on TV. I'm just saying right now, the general public doesn't really care. It's Marvel who has captured the world's imagination. Darkseid who? Meanwhile, Thanos memes abound everywhere.

I think your intent is clear now.

emotion01.gif.e79b2c03c81d5174a0b827418e9a6f0b.gif

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

image.png.e97561ae993bde61f061e90fd5d64c32.png

I'm referring to the ongoing continuity story that DC has been trying to craft at the movies. It's not currently working and nobody(in the general public) cares. Yeah, Joker was a hit, but it was a one-off. And I think that's what DC should focus on at the movies. And also, anything with the Joker in it will do okay. Even Suicide Squad made decent box office because it had super-villain clowns. Not a coincidence I think that two of DC's biggest box office hits, Dark Knight and Joker, feature...the Joker.

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

image.png.e97561ae993bde61f061e90fd5d64c32.png

Even the domestic home theater sales which nowadays are heavy digital has jumped to $40M. Which of course does not account for domestic digital sales, nor international DVD/bluray/digital sales.

DC_MCU_BO200825a.png.c0e9e226e98781a18ac11bf025bce44a.png

I'm referring to the ongoing continuity story that DC has been trying to craft at the movies. It's not currently working and nobody(in the general public) cares. Yeah, Joker was a hit, but it was a one-off. And I think that's what DC should focus on at the movies. And also, anything with the Joker in it will do okay. Even Suicide Squad made decent box office because it had super-villain clowns. Not a coincidence I think that two of DC's biggest box office hits, Dark Knight and Joker, feature...the Joker.

Ah, moving the goal posts, yes.

Funny how you say, "it's not currently working", yet The Snyder Cut is being completed...

Funny how you say, "nobody cares", yet you can't support that accusation without teeny-tiny anecdotes (not evidence).

Funny how you're in a thread about a movie unconnected to the Snyderverse, yet you're saying that DC should be focusing on "one-offs".

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The Joker was fantastic in Aquaman.

DC_MCU_BO200825b.png.b8b2d7fbcef7716b5c348d49c88c13f3.png

:slapfight:

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Funny how you say, "it's not currently working", yet The Snyder Cut is being completed...

Funny how you say, "nobody cares", yet you can't support that accusation without teeny-tiny anecdotes (not evidence).

Funny how you're in a thread about a movie unconnected to the Snyderverse, yet you're saying that DC should be focusing on "one-offs".

Remember the Joker in Wonder Woman? Man, the laughs he brought. It was fantastic!

DC_MCU_BO200825c.png.38b2db0289c8c93a7a41e5f46490b905.png

:insane:

Silvermane does have a point, though. The DCU has been more successful with one-off movies (e.g. Joker, Aquaman, WW) and trilogies (Nolan Batman) than it has with the team-ups (BvS or Justice League). Marvel has done a much better job of weaving characters and storylines together across the solo movies for the big events to date. I think DC will get there as well, but they need to structure the movie division differently in order to accomplish that. Basically, have one person in charge like Feige who ensures there is a focused approach rather than letting the directors do what they want with each different property. The MCU has created a cohesiveness that the DCU is lacking. While I prefer the DCU, Marvel has done a better job at building a broad and interconnected storyline on the silver screen.

Edited by kimik

1 minute ago, kimik said:

Silvermane does have a point, though. The DCU has been more successful with one-off movies (e.g. Joker, Aquaman, WW) and trilogies (Nolan Batman) than it has with the team-ups (BvS or Justice League). Marvel has done a much better job of weaving characters and storylines together across the solo movies for the big events to date. I think DC will get there as well, but they need to structure the movie division differently in order to accomplish that. Basically, have one person in charge like Feige who ensures there is a focused approach rather than letting the directors do what they want with each different property. The MCU has created a cohesiveness that the DCU is lacking.

You mean... Like Zack Snyder...? He was producing every movie for Worlds of DC. He had a specific vision. Unlike Disney, WB wasn't interested in such a thing.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Joker is literally Exhibit A for my argument that DC continuity sucks, they can't do it right, and should focus on what they're better at, making quality movies that exist for themselves ie Nolan's Batman Trilogy or Joker.

"IMO, consistent story continuity isn't in DC's DNA. Marvel, on the other hand, has been crushing consistent expanded story continuity amongst all their titles for 60 years going strong. DC is better off making strong quality movies that exist only for themselves and leave expanded continuity to the pros aka Marvel."

If Waning Bros thinks they can continue their DCEU based on the international success of Aquaman outside the U.S., then good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Silvermane does have a point, though. The DCU has been more successful with one-off movies (e.g. Joker, Aquaman, WW) and trilogies (Nolan Batman) than it has with the team-ups (BvS or Justice League). Marvel has done a much better job of weaving characters and storylines together across the solo movies for the big events to date. I think DC will get there as well, but they need to structure the movie division differently in order to accomplish that. Basically, have one person in charge like Feige who ensures there is a focused approach rather than letting the directors do what they want with each different property. The MCU has created a cohesiveness that the DCU is lacking. While I prefer the DCU, Marvel has done a better job at building a broad and interconnected storyline on the silver screen.

He would have a point about a linked comic book universe if he then didn't put on his General Audience cape and speak for the masses. As the home theater sales alone proves out there is a large portion of the audience that wants to rewatch these films.

Even with the supposed failed attempt called 'Batman v Superman' not only has it broken past $80M in domestic home theater sales with DVD/blurays. It had a massive Walmart campaign within the first month across all of its stores.

DC_MCU_BO200825e.png.679cb18e9381b4020247494a585dfd6e.png

DC_MCU_BO200825f.png.efad75647c74a2b8c956245b1d62a580.png

So it comes across close-minded to state the general audience have moved on from DC and only the MCU is doing it right. Even backing a statement like that may come across as ignoring such details. No matter how many billion dollar hits our beloved MCU has achieved.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Joker is literally Exhibit A for my argument that DC continuity sucks, they can't do it right, and should focus on what they're better at, making quality movies that exist for themselves ie Nolan's Batman Trilogy or Joker.

"IMO, consistent story continuity isn't in DC's DNA. Marvel, on the other hand, has been crushing consistent expanded story continuity amongst all their titles for 60 years going strong. DC is better off making strong quality movies that exist only for themselves and leave expanded continuity to the pros aka Marvel."

If Waning Bros thinks they can continue their DCEU based on the international success of Aquaman outside the U.S., then good luck with that.

:roflmao:

I'm just glad that general audiences don't pander to your delusions.

Here's to The Snyder Cut being such a success that Man of Steel 2, Cyborg, Green Lantern Corps, and Justice League 2 all get green-lit with Snyder producing. :martini: