• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

377 posts in this topic

It's funny how certain books can become hot for no apparent reason. I collected Bats/Tecs back in the late 80s/early 90s. That book was not sought any more ardently than any other Joker cover. There is a definite herd mentality among collectors: a few people express a liking for a particular book, and the next thing you know, everybody has to have one. Sometimes I feel like I'm back in Jr. High.

(thumbs u

Would that be ...

No, you won't show your seller this thread or

No, the market isn't 4-5k a point or

No, you value a key and far scarcer tec 69 less than a Hulk 1

etc etc.

If you truly wanted to keep it simple you would not have replied and that would have been that.

Clearly your dismissive NO reflects your hurt.

But come on man ...

You and gator are more than 300% apart on your pricing.

All I did was to write down what I was thinking about the disparity in your pricing. It's not like you guys were even on the same planet with your pricing.

Anyway ... I'm genuinely sorry you were pricked by my thoughts and their length. I hope upon further reflection you see it's a positive that what you had to say truly made another human being reflect and respond (with an entire wall of text) and I hope you get the tec 69 at your price.

Adding an edit ....

When I posted this reply to your first post ... I saw you had replied further ... I'm glad you did. I meant no disrespect...I've got time and felt like posting. When two guys on top of the market have such disparate views on the value of a book. I thought about it. I really meant no harm ... you could be right. I just thought gator's pricing was probably more on point and I tried to share why I thought that? That's all.

Would that be ...

No, you won't show your seller this thread or

This one, though he couldn't care less. My friend has since left the comic and OA scene. He sold most off to support his kickstarter projects.

No, you value a key and far scarcer tec 69 less than a Hulk 1

I'll take GA over SA any day. I chased SA Marvels for 5 years, gave up and no regrets. (thumbs u

Seems like every month produces a new batch of high grade books ( any series ) to choose from. All you need is a fat checkbook. No thrill in the hunt at all. I couldn't care less for the ppp of any SA book nowadays.

Finally, Rick most likely has one of the 2 second highest graded 9.0 copies ( I don't consider an 8.0 or even an 8.5 significantly higher than 7.5 lol )

I can see a buyer(s) with an itch for the best possible copy available (seeing how Roberts' 9.6 is likely not going anywhere) to be willing to drop coin to get it. Power to Rick. Does that make it a de facto 4/5k point book? Not really. Set it to auction and see what the market has to say.

Also, revert to the post made by jimbo_707 (thumbs u

Fyi,tec69 has been in demand as long as I can remember. Prices these days on all ga keys and demand books are going crazy. That much is true :)

I only wish for a time machine to go back a couple years when Jeff tried to sell his 8.0 copy here ( for under 4K was it ? ) with 0 takers and eventually sold it on ComicLink.

I only wish for a time machine to go back a couple years when Jeff tried to sell his 8.0 copy here ( for under 4K was it ? ) with 0 takers and eventually sold it on ComicLink.

I remember that like it was yesterday :pullhair:

You mean the old days when prices were like this for Pre Robins:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=314863

You mean the old days when prices were like this for Pre Robins:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=314863

The trick is to know which books to buy when you can afford them, having a feeling that they will skyrocket. I got lucky with a few of books that really took off after I bought them. Many more that I decided against buying and now will probably never have the chance to own them. I don't plan on selling them, but I'm glad that I bought them when I could afford them. It does seem like the hobby is out of control for certain keys.

I will say the following, out of courtesy, seeing as how the poster likely took 1 hour for that wall of text:

a. the book belongs to a friend

b. we have agreed on price some time ago

c. he is fully aware of how hot the book has become

d. he bought it back when no one gave two for the book

e. revert to a and b

It's funny how certain books can become hot for no apparent reason. I collected Bats/Tecs back in the late 80s/early 90s. That book was not sought any more ardently than any other Joker cover. There is a definite herd mentality among collectors: a few people express a liking for a particular book, and the next thing you know, everybody has to have one. Sometimes I feel like I'm back in Jr. High.

In 1996 I sold the San Francisco copy of Tec 69 which was later graded a CGC 9.6. I had a chance to buy other high grade copies of Tec 69 since then, like the CGC 8.5 Crowley Copy from Metro for $2200 which I passed on because of tanning some years ago. I have no idea why this book has exploded in demand like it has. It does have a great joker cover but I believe its because of the herd mentally to a great extent!

I will say the following, out of courtesy, seeing as how the poster likely took 1 hour for that wall of text:

e. revert to a and b

In 1996 I sold the San Francisco copy of Tec 69 which was later graded a CGC 9.6. I had a chance to buy other high grade copies of Tec 69 since then, like the CGC 8.5 Crowley Copy from Metro for $2200 which I passed on because of tanning some years ago. I have no idea why this book has exploded in demand like it has. It does have a great joker cover but I believe its because of the herd mentally to a great extent!

Cool info. Thanks.

e. revert to a and b

Would love to see that copy.

e. revert to a and b

Would love to see that copy.

+1

A couple of stray parting thoughts:

With hindsight, I think the SF Nationals were bargains. Beautiful copies of great books that are almost impossible to find in high grade. I don't know whether Newton ring problems held them back. Wish now that I had bid higher.

I also think the Church OA went low. Some really nice pieces (compared with some of his commercial artwork that HA was slowly auctioning off a while back) and a great part of the hobby's history. I wasn't following the auction when they came up or I would have bid on them.

A couple of stray parting thoughts:

With hindsight, I think the SF Nationals were bargains. Beautiful copies of great books that are almost impossible to find in high grade. I don't know whether Newton ring problems held them back. Wish now that I had bid higher.

I also think the Church OA went low. Some really nice pieces (compared with some of his commercial artwork that HA was slowly auctioning off a while back) and a great part of the hobby's history. I wasn't following the auction when they came up or I would have bid on them.

I definitely agree with you on the Nationals. Those books are not easy to find, much less in grade. The 16 went for about what I think it should have, but the 18 -- which is near non-existent in anything above VG -- went low... IMO.

I put in a very modest tracking bid on this one more out of curiosity than a serious intention to win it - and guess what?

Planet%20Comics%2022%20CGC%207.5_zps4n6jf0gz.jpg

Blow me down with a feather.

Heritage has to work on their imaging. Many of the scans have that off color strip along the spine and right edge.

There scanners put up a ghost image on the edges of many books I want to bid on. I agree.

I put in a very modest tracking bid on this one more out of curiosity than a serious intention to win it - and guess what?

Heritage has to work on their imaging. Many of the scans have that off color strip along the spine and right edge.

There scanners put up a ghost image on the edges of many books I want to bid on. I agree.

Unfortunately I dont have a scanner at the moment but will give a verbal when it arrives.

Unfortunately I dont have a scanner at the moment but will give a verbal when it arrives.

Have a look because I'm pretty sure those strips are Newton rings rather than an artifact of HA's scanner.

Have a look because I'm pretty sure those strips are Newton rings rather than an artifact of HA's scanner.

Will do Tony. I don't doubt you are right, but those are big.

Will do Tony. I don't doubt you are right, but those are big.

They are Newton rings. It's a major problem with the new CCG cases.

Had a chat with Heritage re a number of books I was interested in and they confirmed it. Concerns didn't seem to effect the prices that books achieved.