• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

377 posts in this topic

Had a chat with Heritage re a number of books I was interested in and they confirmed it. Concerns didn't seem to effect the prices that books achieved.

This particular example proves the opposite. Flex priced the book as if there was quite the shadow, because he hasn't been aware of latest developments. Others, who are up to speed, perhaps bid as if there might be quite the shadow. Functionally it ends up to be the same. The lower the grade, the more expensive the book, the greater the chance that the market will build uncertainty into the price.

On the other hand, it presents buying opportunities. If this Planet doesn't have a shadow, Flex wins, in relation to how he figured the bid. But you have to crack it to find out.

Wonder Woman 1 $30,070 before live bidding. I am considering taking the plunge. I think it is still a good price before the movie.

Not sure a movie moves a 30k book

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Remember how cold and dead all of the Wonder Woman related books were just a couple of short years ago. Now, it's like they are one of the hottest GA books out there and I believe it is strongly related to the pending movies scheduled to come out.

Looks like the movies and TV shows also had a big impact on the prices for More Fun 73. Of course, this book had always been undervalued relative to many of the other GA first appearances.

Especially in light of the fact that both Aquaman and Green Arrow are still around today. Can't say the same thing for Sandman, Starman, and the Spectre.

I would definitely agree, however, that the overall impact of movies on the GA books is much less than their impact on the BA books though. (thumbs u

Guide seems like a floor for most GA books these days.

Or a basement

Probably true only for the so-called hot GA books.

Take a look at the Supes books in both Action and Superman books which went for less than guide. Or even the Adventures with the classic Sandman covers which also went for less than guide.

Probably a lot of others too, if we look past the headline grabbing lots. (shrug)

Almost $60k for the Pep. Wow.

Pep 34 passed $50K, but fell well short of $100K.

Even though it is the SF copy of a super classic Pep cover and the highest graded copy at that, is almost 6X guide not enough when you are talking about a 5 figure book in the guide?

Did you really think it would go for more than 10X guide? (shrug)

If this is closer to how the book looks in reality, I would think the consignor was hardly pleased with the quality of the scan Heritage provided. As Jeff said, the artifact is present in a number of cases - just more marked here because of the black background. Can anyone figure out what the artifact is? It's got me beat.

Looks to me like it might be a bad case of Newtonringitis. :eek:

Are these "artifacts" mainly present on Golden Age books in the new slabs?

I think so, too. The HA scan is probably fine; unfortunately, that's probably how the book looks in the slab.

There's a very long thread in CG on the new slabs. Thicker books -- like GA books -- seem to be affected more by the problem.

Not caught the thread on the new slabs but it is interesting that a number of other books in this auction seem to have exactly the same pattern, just fainter. I'm intrigued to see how it will look in hand..

Well, since it is apparently a problem directly associated with the new CGC slab holder, I guess you will have to unslab the book before you can actually tell if it is a dust shadow from the book itself, or just Newton rings from the new CGC slab holder. At least, it doesn't look like heavy water stains which I have seen on some of the other scans.

This will also give you the opportunity to send the book in to press out any waviness on the top edge if it has already started to set in, also as a direct result of the new CGC slab holder. doh!

Hopefully, CGC will be able to resolve these issues with their new case holder as it sounds like a lot of customers are holding off on their submissions pending the resolution of these new case holder issues. At the same time, some potential bidders are also holding off on bidding because they cannot tell if the apparent visual defects on the books are real or not.

Although CGC claims that they have mitigated the Newton rings issue to some extent, they have not even acknowledged the waviness issue yet. It is critical that they resolve these problems with their new case holders or it could have some significant negative impact on the slabbed comic book market going forward. :(

Did the fact that:

- the comics were for sale on Friday rather than Thursday,

- earlier start than usual and

- that so few books were for sale

mean lower bidder numbers?

The other comic prices would suggest a premium over and above should have been achieved.

The comics offering was pretty slim this auction, which is probably one reason why they just combined it with the art.

With each major auction, it seems that Heritage is more about original comic related artwork and less about the actual comic books themselves. Wonder if this trend will continue to gain strength going forward? (shrug)

Also wonder if this has something to do with their competitors in the auction marketplace. After all, with Heritage taking almost 30% for their cut of the proceeds, it must be tempting for potential consignors to lean more towards CL and CC with their much lower 10% cut. Maybe less so in terms of CL since their primary customer base would appear to be quite different from Heritage's primary customer base. hm

Even though it is the SF copy of a super classic Pep cover and the highest graded copy at that, is almost 6X guide not enough when you are talking about a 5 figure book in the guide?

No, but Bedrock raised the possibility. In an earlier post, I wondered whether it would hit $50K and he replied wondering whether it might hit $100K.

I know you don't do much buying or selling, but the guide price doesn't have much relevance on a book like this. (thumbs u

Wonder Woman 1 $30,070 before live bidding. I am considering taking the plunge. I think it is still a good price before the movie.

Not sure a movie moves a 30k book

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Remember how cold and dead all of the Wonder Woman related books were just a couple of short years ago. Now, it's like they are one of the hottest GA books out there and I believe it is strongly related to the pending movies scheduled to come out.

Looks like the movies and TV shows also had a big impact on the prices for More Fun 73. Of course, this book had always been undervalued relative to many of the other GA first appearances.

Especially in light of the fact that both Aquaman and Green Arrow are still around today. Can't say the same thing for Sandman, Starman, and the Spectre.

I would definitely agree, however, that the overall impact of movies on the GA books is much less than their impact on the BA books though. (thumbs u

The book ended at 30 without any additional bidding. So in this case, it didn't move it (any more)

Clearly movies and tv shows etc have an effect on a characters demand, not saying it doesn't (thumbs u

No, but Bedrock raised the possibility. In an earlier post, I wondered whether it would hit $50K and he replied wondering whether it might hit $100K.

I know you don't do much buying or selling, but the guide price doesn't have much relevance on a book like this. (thumbs u

Sometimes folks wonder if it will hit a certain level bc they know at least one person willing to pay that much...so the "wonder" is if there is another willing to ...

According to an e-mail, this auction was their biggest with sales of $6.5 million.

Kind of interesting that the 11 lots with the highest prices were OA ... and the 12th was a Playboy 1 9.4. :o

The Pep 34 (in 16th place overall) was the comic lot with the highest price.

According to an e-mail, this auction was their biggest with sales of $6.5 million.

Kind of interesting that the 11 lots with the highest prices were OA ... and the 12th was a Playboy 1 9.4. :o

Ambulance chasers?

Now, that's an absolutely amazing price for the first issue of Playboy.

Still sadly remember my first attempt at buying a book through the mail was a NM file copy of Playboy #1 for the grand sum of only $1,000. Told that the magazine was already gone and the same for my second choice which were NM/M copies of Hawkman #1 - #10 for only $150. This was back in the good old days of CBG ads where only the early birds were able to get the books.

Had to settle for a VF/NM copy of New Book of Comics #2 for something like $750 which turned out to be an absolutely beautiful copy with snow white pages. Book did okay for awhile there, but has really slowed down over the past decade or so with the collection focus zeroing in on mainly just the super hero books. :(

We've all secretly been waiting for this, some price discovery will be fun.

Looking forward to seeing what my copy in the same grade is worth.

I was willing to pay full guide for the Casper the Friiendly Ghost #3 (because it has an owl on it, and I like owls), but it ended up selling for 3 1/2 times guide. doh!

It is a semi-tough issue, so maybe somebody needed it to complete the run.