• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

10 bucks? :shy:

:makepoint:

It is a sweet book. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you are when it comes down to which issues in the bronze age are tougher to find in high grade than other ones. I believe that this information would be invaluable to some of the more hardcore DC war collectors, but you may not want to release it until you achieve your goals. Are you getting close to a complete set of the OAAW's/Sgt. Rock's in the grade that you're looking for? You'll have to excuse me, I haven't spent too much time over on the Registry, and that may answer all of my questions.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend! (thumbs u

Andy

Hey Andy,

Nope, I've got no problem sharing my info on the books I've found tough to find.

Overall, ANY bronze age war books are in pretty plentiful supply in raw grades up to, say, 8.0/8.5 - any day of the week, there are dozens and dozens of VFs on ebay, and hundreds of mid grades.

But as these rise into the 9s, they get harder to find and several are downright rare.

I've found that there are two really tough runs to find in high grade (in this case, strict 9.2 or better). One is Our Fighting Forces #120 to #129. Just a pain in . I am still trying to upgrade some of them, after years of trying.

Almost as tough, but perhaps more desirable, are the 48/52 page G.I. Combats with artwork by Russ Heath, #144 to #151. Just brutally, brutally hard in true high grade. The toughest are without a doubt #144, #150 and #151. Painful, but worth the hunt.

Then, there are difficult individual books all over the runs. Here are the ten toughest to find in high grade, in my humble opinion.

10. Our Fighting Forces #123. Black cover, first Losers.

9. Our Army at War #250. At least twice as tough either #249 or #251. Who knows why. I just got a 9.0 off ebay and was THRILLED! Tough book.

8. Star Spangled War Stories #150. Last of the Enemy Ace issues, and probably one of the lower circulation books in the run.

7. Our Army at War #245. Black cover, 48 pager. Seems much tougher than more common issues like #243, #244 or #238, which appear fairly often.

6. Our Army at War #247. First 20 cent issue, and just less common than the other books in the 240. Provocative 'headlight' art by Heath, perhaps?

5. G.I. Combat #151. I have been looking for a 9.4 for years, and the best I have been able to do is a slabbed 9.2.

4. Our Army at War #256. Really hard book to find in grade - much less common than other books in the #250s and #260s.

3. Our Army at War #227. A really hard book to find in high grade with white pages.

2.Our Army at War #242. Extraordinarily hard to find above 9.2, it seems.

1. G.I. Combat #141. There are loads of VFs out there, but I have only ever seen two truly NMs - Greggy's smokin' Oakland copy, and the 9.6 I found last year. Frankly, I was stunned it even existed. Mine came from Bobcat, and he told me it was a copy he cherry-picked from a warehouse many years ago.

It's funny that most of these books are OAAWS and GICs, which you would have thought had the higher print runs and broader circulation.

Obviously, I don't have any data supporting any of this... just been my experiences hunting them down over the years. Of these 10, there are 5 that I am always actively looking for - OAAW #245, #247 and #242, SSWS #150 and OFF #123.

Hope that helps. Anyone else notice and particularly tough books out there, or not out there?

Shep

Pretty excited...

Just got this one back from CGC. 30th Anniversary Issue. 72 Pager. Black cover with the Haunted Tank and all the boys.

GICombat246.jpg

Oh, I love that cover! :cloud9:

Superb!!! :applause:

Andy

A little lower grade than I prefer for my slabs, but this is just a biotch to find in any grade.

That said, looks WAAAAAAY nicer than a 9.0 - and it's my first Rosa! And it was pretty cheap.

Sorry about the warpy-looking scan.

ooaw235.jpg

Sorry to butt in here and mention this, but I've started a new WTB thread and any help from you guys would be great. I've got a bit of extra cash and a lot of holes here. I'm going to post this in the Silver Age War thread as well, so don't be too angry with me... :foryou:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2247726&page=0#Post2247726

Andy

A little lower grade than I prefer for my slabs, but this is just a biotch to find in any grade.

That said, looks WAAAAAAY nicer than a 9.0 - and it's my first Rosa! And it was pretty cheap.

Sorry about the warpy-looking scan.

ooaw235.jpg

That's a great issue and has a remarkable Toth story. You need to crack that puppy out!

So, last Saturday morning I'm sitting down to my first cup o' joe, and I log on to the boards and have a PM.

It happens to be from our own Fazybones, who had noticed that I was very eager to get a copy of OAAW 218, well she alerted me to a nice copy on Ebay, and I hit the BIN.

So many thanks to Fay for looking out for the Dog of War and helping me to acquire a semi-grail (worship)

Thanks Fay, you're the best!

OAAW218.jpg

So, last Saturday morning I'm sitting down to my first cup o' joe, and I log on to the boards and have a PM.

It happens to be from our own Fazybones, who had noticed that I was very eager to get a copy of OAAW 218, well she alerted me to a nice copy on Ebay, and I hit the BIN.

So many thanks to Fay for looking out for the Dog of War and helping me to acquire a semi-grail (worship)

Thanks Fay, you're the best!

OAAW218.jpg

Looking good Larry and I'm just so happy you're pleased. (thumbs u

I think any of us war collectors would do the same for each other when

we know of a book that someone really wants. It was my pleasure and

you put a big smile on my face today. :)

Now if I could only get that darn "canuckis" to stop sniping me out

of some real gems lately. :makepoint: Only kidding and all is fair in

love and war including bidding on comics. I hate e-bay's latest change

and not knowing we are bidding against each other sucks.

:foryou: