• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

This is probably not complete for ALL Charlton war titles, but it probably covers the Bronze Age

Fightin' Army

Fightin' Marines

Attack!

World at War

Battlefield Action

Earlier in the Silver Age there were

Fightin' Navy

Submarine Attack

Army Attack

Attack at Sea

While they were uniformly derided when I was a kid (when you needed 3 Charltons to trade fro one DC), I was really surprised when I picked up a very large run of high grade Charlton war earlier this year. First, I was amazed at how many of them I read, and how much I remembered of the stories.

Second, there was some truly fine art - Ditko, Great Sam Glanzman, Don Perlin, Montes & Bache, and Pat Boyette just to name a few. Many nameless artists as well, who often turned in solid work.

Fun comics - not that easy to find in great shape, either.

Shep

Rumour was the Chris Pedrin who did the Big 5 Collectors guide had a full Charlton war run, but I got that second hand.

Judging by how many I see on ebay, I think that putting the runs together probably wouldn't be impossible (unlike, say, putting together a run of all the Atlas war titles, which would really be a feat.)

The one thing about the Charlton war books is that they had an incredibly numbing sameness. Next to to name artists (save for Glanzman and Ditko). So, sampling a title here and there throughout the years has been plenty for me!

Shep

The one thing about the Charlton war books is that they had an incredibly numbing sameness.

I have to agree. With a few exceptions, they are pretty lackluster. Certainly not bad war stories but not much to get really excited about. In contrast, I've recently obtained some really nice bronze Charlton horror books. They are pretty sharp. I wonder if Charlton didn't put as much effort into their war line of comics.

I tried out buying from Ted at Superworld again and I think his grading

was really close. The first book is my favorite BA OAAW issue and this

is by far the nicest one I've owned. I sold my CGC 9.4, which I regret.

Picture1446.jpg:cloud9:

Russ Heath's finest Splash page IMO. :luhv:

Splash244.jpg

Picture1445.jpg

Picture1447.jpg

These might belong in the SA War section and I'm slowly picking up an

issue every once in a while. Most of the books have Sam Glanzman inside

art and the stories are based on actual battles during World War Two and

the odd one from the first World War. None of these are near HG.

Picture1442.jpg

Picture1444.jpg

Picture1443.jpg

Edited by Fazybones

wow, didn't realize there is such a difference and I had to pull my copy out again to compare with my scan to make sure it wasn't "darken" by the scanner.....may be slightly but the scan is 95% close to the true color of the book.

thank you Shin for the little help...enjoy (thumbs u

th_gic154.jpgth_gic159.jpgth_gic167.jpgth_gic168.jpgth_gic169.jpgth_gic172.jpgth_oa234.jpgth_oa237.jpgth_oa240.jpgth_oa241.jpgth_oa242.jpgth_oa243.jpgth_oa246.jpgth_oa248.jpgth_oa250.jpgth_off149.jpgth_ssw171.jpgth_ssw172.jpgth_ssw174.jpgth_ssw177.jpgth_ssw179.jpgth_oa274.jpgth_oa273.jpgth_oa272.jpg

Wow, nice books Nick. You weren't kidding about having some nice DC War

books and that WWT is incredible. Yours is pretty sweet too Jeff.

I picked up this beauty last Saturday and got it for 39.00 off e-bay. :)

Picture1450.jpg

Of course Wally has to interfere whenever I play with my books. :busy:

Picture1449.jpg

Edited by Fazybones

Russ Heath's finest Splash page IMO. :luhv:

Splash244.jpg

Wow! Did you buy that? (worship)

I got the scan for free and I have a printed version from our fancy copyier,

scanner and printer at work. :blush: I would love to see what this piece of

OA would go for in an auction format? Any predictions you guys?

thanks...there are some killer books in my DC war sets.

nice book and even nicer cat (thumbs u

Thanks Nick. (thumbs u

I got the scan for free and I have a printed version from our fancy copyier,

scanner and printer at work. :blush: I would love to see what this piece of

OA would go for in an auction format? Any predictions you guys?

I can't say pricewise, but I'd pay a whole lot for this piece if it ever became available.

That is probably the finest piece of bronze age interior war art - and maybe one of the top 10 pages/spreads in DC war history. Russ Heath at the absolute top of his game.

I would wager that it could sell in the $8 to $10K range. Does Russ still own it, or did it sell with the Heritage stuff years ago? I sure hope the story has stayed together... every page is a gem and it would really be a crying shame if it has been split up.

Brilliant on every level. If you search waaaaaay back in this thread, you can see the inspiration - Russ used the box art from Tamiya 1/35 scale model as his reference for this drawing.

Shep