• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

I wonder what the multiple situation is with the Manny collection? I know I have already bought a GI Combat 201 from it in 2004 and a Rock 302 from it in Feb. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In speaking with Doug this is what he had to say.

Pre1977 the Manitoba collection may contain only 1 copy of each. After 1978 Doug himself was a distributer and the owner of the Manitoba collection would literally spend 3/4ths a day going through the new books picking out the nicest copies. He literally looked through hundreds to sometimes a thousand copies of an issue to find the nicest copies. He would stay so late that Doug would keep the store open till as late as 10pm for him. After all the guy spent a boat load every new book day so why not cater to him . He buy multiple copies 3-10 each issue. On secondary titles(War, funny, horror and etc..) he would buy 1-3 copies. However, on number 1 issues he would buy 20+ copies. The collection contains 40,000 -50,000 books I believe. After 1982 I think is when Doug quit being a distributer so the Manitoba Owner had less books to choose from. The best issues in high grade are from 1978-1983 as he had so may copies to choose from.

I'm pretty sure that what I remember above is correct.

I own a ton of these books and they have really nice gloss and usually are white pages. However, the owner avoided printing defects. He would take books with a spine stress over a printing crease.

Edited by Buck Biggins

Just got word that Alex Toth has passed away. As most of you know, a contributor on some of the finest DC war stories... 'White Devil/Yellow Devil', 'The Glory Boys', 'Dirty Job', 'The Tally', and most significantly, 'Burma Sky'.

Personally, I never met Toth, but I always loved his war work, from EC right on up to the Blackhawk job he did back in the early 80s. He was an absolute legend, and it's very sad to hear of his passing.

Here's a message that was posted on the Yahoo Timely/Atlas list.

I hate to be the one with the bad news but Alex passed away at seven this

morning May 27th.

I got a call from Eric Toth and I am sure that he would want to thank all of

you for all your love and kindness you have shown Alex in the last few

years.This site meant a lot ot Alex and all of you fine folks he thought alot of.

I do not have any information at this time about services but I think they

will be private for family type service. And there will be a memorial panel at

San Diego that every one can attend.

I have said this once before, but those 20 bags of letters and cards was a

really beautiful thing for Alex.Not only was he shocked but I think he then

knew how much he was loved by his fans and that his work will live forever.

Send up a prayer for him and his family tonight.

John

Hey guys,

I don't know if I mentioned this before, but if I did, please forgive me.

I'd like to propose that we set up a swap system for BA DC war books. Myself, I'm sitting on about 150 doubles... many of which are clean, sharp 8.5 to 9.2 books. Makes no sense for these to sit around doing nothing, when they might be able to find a happy home in someone else's collection.

And why not just sell them, you ask? Well, a lot of these books won't move on ebay unless I drop them as a lot, and let them go for a song. And if it isn't a key, or has and Adams/Wrightson/whoever cover, or isn't in 9.4, it just won't sell on our marketplace board.

My suggestion is to compile a list of books you have to trade, and a shortlist of books you want and in what grade. To keep this thread uncluttered, I'd suggest that if you're interested, just drop a note on the list that you're into it, and people can send PMs to you with their lists.

I suppose we could do this in the marketplace, but starting it here keeps it focussed within the war collecting community.

So, drop a post on the list if you're interested.

Trying not to be confusing,

Shep

I'd love to get in on this, I have two boxes of war books from the 70's unfortunately they are in mid to low grade, but hey if anyone is interested in LG war books drop me a line confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey guys,

I've been scanning my collection, and as I haven't seen a lot of these books on the threads, figured I'd post some of the better covers. Here's 205, the first Unknown Soldier issue after the title changed from Star Spangled War Stories. Great Kubert cover.

us205.jpg