• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

Nice books Sterling!!! Guess the war bug has bitten you

It's always been there. Just been prioritizing on horror, and to be honest...there's going to be some waits between horror purchases b/c the number of issues are going down for me because my % completion is up there...

Sgt Rock/Unknown/GICs were mainstay reading for me back in the day...along with my horror stuff.

Sterling,

Those books are KILLLLAAAAHHHH!!! And much harder to find in sparkly shape than many collectors think. Personally, I've had to upgrade 2 or 3 times on some issues, just to move from VF to NM.

I have a real soft spot for those - every issue you posted was one that I bought off the racks. Without getting all psychoanalytic, for myself, seeing one of those books in 'time machine' condition brings back that boyhood thrill. Being 11 or 12 or 13, buying these with your friends, reading and re-reading them. Take me straight back.

On top of that, Kanigher was still writing some pretty fine stories!!!

Awesome books...

Shep

GI Combat 126 $60

GI Combat 128 $60

SSWS 141 $68

I'm just getting a chance to chime in on this thread now.

Personally, I think you got taken a little on those three books. I don't mean to be insensitive, beacuse I well-know the sting of opening up a package of books, and having my excitement dampened by iffy grading. Happens to all of us.

I have sometimes pulled the trigger on a book I really need, knowing it's a *spoon* shoot. Sometimes it comes back, but most times I get burned. There are only a couple of dealers I'll buy from without clear, large scans.... and Mile High ain't one of them.(Superworld - who have pretty variable grading - at least offer the courtesy of good front and back scans on request. So at least you're not ordering blind.)

Back to your books... they're all desirable, and none are bad copies. But I think you could have done better on price, or have gotten better conditions for what you did pay.

As a point of reference, I very recently got SSWS #141 in CGC 9.0 for $90... old label, and frankly, it was undergraded. And I picked up G.I. Combat #126 in CGC 9.0 last year frm Metro for $70 (however, that one was over graded, looking a little more like 8.5) This isn't to brag - just to point out that those books do pop up in really nice shape at okay prices.

I'd keep the GICs, as those are the tougher books (#128 is one of the toughest books to find in nice shape.) But I would probably send back the SSWS #141, because if you add a few more bucks to your $68 you'll likely find a sharper copy.

Shep

Yeah, we both knew what we were getting ourselves into...I've ordered many times over the years...and I thank Mile High for helping me as a newbie understand that without grading skills, you will literally be taken to the cleaners.

Andrew and I use the gambling analogy when we refer to Mile High. Or Forrest Gump's "Comics are Like a Box of Chocolate" analogy.

We both knew it was an expensive crapshoot. This will be my first return to Mile High...I hope their customer service is friendly.

You guys know if there is an Infinite Silver War thread? I can't find anything similar using search

I believe there is a War Books Thread in Silver but it isn't pinned like it should be makepoint.gif

And I just bumped the thread to make it easier to find grin.gif

Edited by Karma23

Why in Hades is Bobcat's OAAW #273 CGC 9.6 already at $226 with 3 days to go? The user ids are unfamiliar to me...I know it isn't shill bidding...but silly bidding for sure.

Is this a key or something? What am I missing? For the money I can get a nice GIC 9.4 in the early 100s...

Why in Hades is Bobcat's OAAW #273 CGC 9.6 already at $226 with 3 days to go? The user ids are unfamiliar to me...I know it isn't shill bidding...but silly bidding for sure.

Is this a key or something? What am I missing? For the money I can get a nice GIC 9.4 in the early 100s...

Maybe the same thing that happened to DC Horror is now beginning to occur in DC War books. confused-smiley-013.gif

Well... the truth is, I was the first bidder on that book. (I've been using my ebay id offbeatcomics lately, because my other account 'bigfiver69' was hacked, and ebay have it suspended until they clea up the breach). But back to the #273 - it's a very, very sentimental book for me - it was the first DC war back issue I ever bought, and it was the first time I ever saw Russ Heath art. (In fact, I still have that orginal, coverless, tatty rag of a book... it's the comic equivalent of the Dead Sea Scrolls for me).

So I saw the 9.6 on ebay, and thought 'Okay... shares the place with another 9.6 of that book. Gotta have it.' And I thought 'No way that's a $200 book... but let's be safe and drop $225.'

I'm stunned that price got beaten. And I'm not going to cry over it. I'm sitting on two raws with 9.4 potential, and an undercopy for reading, so I'm covered on that book.

That said, I do believe #273 is a bit of a high point on that title. The Heath story is one of the best art jobs in war comic history (the OA sold on Heritage for something like $7000 a few years back) and it has an excellent Bob Kanigher Gallery of War backup tale by Ric Estrada (which I own the original art to.)

Personally, I think that this is a blip, an anomoly. Probably just a case of a couple of guys (me and this other bidder) who had a big hard-on for that particular book.

On the November Comiclink auction, an OAAW #220 in 9.6 went for $219 and that is a much tougher, rarer book than the #273. By a long shot. I was concentrating on the #244 and #236, thinging the #220 was going to go much larger... I'd buy that book in a heartbeat for $219.

Anyway, I hope it's a blip, because I am really not interested in paying that dough for those kinds of books. In truth, I am RELIEVED that one is out of my hands now, because it is simply not worth a penny beyond $225 to me.

Shep

As long as I can keep getting nice 9.2s for guide or less, I'm going to be a happy camper. The horrors are starting to get the premium in the 9.2 area and that's got me peeved a bit.

Imagine the horror (no pun intended) I'm living in the 9.4 and up range. Good thing I'm taking a break for a while...hopefully I'll be refreshed and recharged for 2008.

Shep,

First off...my apologies if I somehow sounded like it was dumb to bid that much for the book (lord knows how many times have I done it on horror stuff?)...I was just genuinely surprised at how fast the bid went up...it reminded me a lot of the great book struggles I've seen in the horror genre.

My only true complaint is that you need to follow good bidding best practices by sniping... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Maybe the same thing that happened to DC Horror is now beginning to occur in DC War books. confused-smiley-013.gif

"Isolated Incident"

Shep,

First off...my apologies if I somehow sounded like it was dumb to bid that much for the book (lord knows how many times have I done it on horror stuff?)...I was just genuinely surprised at how fast the bid went up...it reminded me a lot of the great book struggles I've seen in the horror genre.

My only true complaint is that you need to follow good bidding best practices by sniping... 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hey Sterling,

No offense taken.. that is now officially a dumb price on that book.

I do snipe on most occasions, but when there's something I really want I ask myself 'What's the most you want to pay for this?' and throw down. Then, If I do get outbid, I can ask myself if I want to pay more, or let it go. I'd rather lose a book early in the bidding than at the last minute.

I've healed myself by buying a couple of other nice slabs.... I'll post them when they come in.

Shep